Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 3 of 3
< 123
General Discussion>Western Movies
Mr.Maduro 06:31 AM 11-20-2008
Originally Posted by galaga:
Favorite is OJWales, the Searchers and She Wore a Yellow Ribbon.

A few others not mentioned yet:

The Magnificent Seven (A Kurosawa Samurai flick)
Brynner, Wallach, McQueen, Bronson, Coburn

One-Eyed jacks (Brando's best Western)
Brando & Malden

Lonely Are the Brave (from a Edward Abbey novel)
Kirk Douglas, Walter Matthau

The Treasure of the Sierra Madre
Bogart and Huston (Badges? We ain't got no....)
Originally Posted by kugie:
I think the magnificent Seven One of the reatest Was not mentioned. One of the Best
See post #4. :-)
[Reply]
macpappy 08:00 AM 11-20-2008
If it's a western movie with John Wayne or Clint Eastwood in it, then I watch it.
Then again I will watch any movie that those two are in.

I wish somebody would make a good movie out of Have Gun, Will Travel...
[Reply]
Skywalker 09:15 AM 11-20-2008
Originally Posted by Darrell:
I think you mean Wyatt Earp, which starred Costner. I have to go with the Kurt Russell and Val Kilmer in Tombstone. That film is so much better IMO.
:-) The plot build up in Tombstone really holds my interest! I really like that they used the (slang) language of the period!
[Reply]
mrreindeer 09:32 AM 11-20-2008
Originally Posted by shilala:
I recently watched a comedy spaghetti western that was really good.
It's spanish and it's subtitled, but it was big fun.
It's called 800 Bullets. Here's a link.
It's definately worth the $1.99 at Blockbuster. One of the user comments on that page I linked says "A touching and funny homage to Spaghetti Westerns and film-making in general."
It's exactly that. It's not going to win any awards, but it pleasantly surprised me. I'd love to sit and watch it again. :-)
Just added it to the list; thanks Scott! :-)

Originally Posted by Darrell:
I think you mean Wyatt Earp, which starred Costner. I have to go with the Kurt Russell and Val Kilmer in Tombstone. That film is so much better IMO.
Totally agree.
[Reply]
Cigary 12:53 PM 11-20-2008
Originally Posted by macpappy:
If it's a western movie with John Wayne or Clint Eastwood in it, then I watch it.
Then again I will watch any movie that those two are in.

I wish somebody would make a good movie out of Have Gun, Will Travel...
I love HGWT ( have gun will travel ) as a kid. You know you can watch the first season for free on cbs.com under their old shows. There are about 38 shows to watch and I did a marathon one night.

Loved Kurt Russel in Tombstone,,,thought it was better than Wyatt Earp with Costner. For real westerns and good ones I gotta go with Sam Peckinpah and Butch and Sundance.
[Reply]
Skywalker 02:49 PM 11-20-2008
Originally Posted by Cigary:
I love HGWT ( have gun will travel ) as a kid. You know you can watch the first season for free on cbs.com under their old shows. There are about 38 shows to watch and I did a marathon one night.

Loved Kurt Russel in Tombstone,,,thought it was better than Wyatt Earp with Costner. For real westerns and good ones I gotta go with Sam Peckinpah and Butch and Sundance.
Forgot that one!!! Great flick!!!
[Reply]
CBI_2 04:59 PM 12-19-2008
Holy Crapola! How did I miss this thread before. As many here I love westerns also. Can watch any Duke, Eastwood or Duval western any time it is on.

True Grit: John Wayne and Duval in the same movie. Primo

The Cheyenne Social Club with Stewart and Fonda is a good one often over looked.

The Last Wagon with another great actor Richard Widmark
[Reply]
Tombstone 09:24 AM 12-22-2008
Just watched Cowboys staring John Wayne. Great Movie!!:-)
[Reply]
jjirons69 09:35 AM 12-22-2008
I've read through this thread and tend to agree with a lot of these movies. However, my father-in-law is the ultimate western freak and his list would go on for pages. Nine times out of ten if he's watching tv, it's a western or a western tv show. His satellite only needs a couple of channels for him to be happy. I've watched westerns that I never knew existed with him, to the point of believing I've seen some of them twice. You wouldn't believe how many black and white westerns follow the same theme and plot.
[Reply]
tnip23 09:36 AM 12-22-2008
AMC is running 24 hrs of the Duke on Christmas, should be plenty of westerns in th mix.
[Reply]
Tombstone 09:37 AM 12-22-2008
Originally Posted by tnip23:
AMC is running 24 hrs of the Duke on Christmas, should be plenty of westerns in th mix.
Yep, i cannot wait. 'i'll be a suck head mule'
[Reply]
MadAl 11:12 AM 12-22-2008
I'm a fan of period pieces generally, just add Dances With Wolves to the mix.

Watched The Assassination of Jess James by the Coward Robert Ford last week. That too.
[Reply]
Tombstone 01:00 PM 12-26-2008
Just finished True Grit. Great movie!!!!
[Reply]
Page 3 of 3
< 123
Up