Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 3 of 4
< 123 4 >
All Cigar Discussion>Recon Cigars Anyone know about these?
357 10:59 AM 10-24-2012
Originally Posted by joeobx:
Hey....give the guy a break. They are probably great cigars if you age them for 3 yrs in one of those fantastic humidors you can buy at Co$tco :-)
I heard if you age them in that Costco humidor they'll turn to 24K gold right around the 3 year mark.
[Reply]
pnoon 11:01 AM 10-24-2012
<crickets>
[Reply]
sevans105 11:07 AM 10-24-2012
Kinda back to the topic I originally started....any members of CA (more than a week anyway) happen to have actually smoked one of these sticks? I'll probably get ONE for novelty sake (heck, I bought a box of PVNISHERs) But if they are decent, I'll pick up a few to send to overseas friends.

Anyone volunteering to be the guinea pig?
[Reply]
cjhalbrooks 11:25 AM 10-24-2012
I plain to buy one and only one when I am over seas. I will post my findings. But it might be a few months
[Reply]
sevans105 11:59 AM 10-24-2012
Originally Posted by cjhalbrooks:
I plain to buy one and only one when I am over seas. I will post my findings. But it might be a few months
Just checked the website...minimum order of 3. At 12 bucks a pop...not counting shipping...I'm not sure how excited I am to be the guinea pig on this one. I can get some damn nice cigars for 50 bucks. Anyone else with extra cash willing to bite?
[Reply]
pnoon 12:13 PM 10-24-2012
Originally Posted by sevans105:
Just checked the website...minimum order of 3. At 12 bucks a pop...not counting shipping...I'm not sure how excited I am to be the guinea pig on this one. I can get some damn nice cigars for 50 bucks. Anyone else with extra cash willing to bite?
But just think, you get to see all those great pictures of T&A.
[Reply]
44stampede 09:06 PM 10-24-2012
Not it :-)
[Reply]
BHalbrooks 12:29 AM 10-25-2012
Originally Posted by smitty81:
they do look cool.

I'm gonna order 3 tubos.
First page :-)
[Reply]
MadMac 12:50 PM 10-29-2012
Okay, I the nub. My name is Jon, I have some experience with Punch, Acid, Thomas, and some others I can not currently recall. I found your site when I was searching for information about these Recon cigars. I am former Navy, my friend was in the Marines and he will be visiting us for T-day weekend next month.
I realize this is a gimmick, but the question is - did these guys make a quality product with a gimmick, or is their gimmick the only thing they have going for them?
I found this review which, at least states that someone has tried them. http://www.thecigarstore.com/blog/ci...mo-del-diablo/

I joined to find out more about cigars. I am in a point in my life where I would like to sit back and actually enjoy a nice scotch and cigar. So, I may have some questions from time to time, I will do my best to put them in the appropriate thread when they do arise.

Thank you,
-Jon
[Reply]
mahtofire14 01:01 PM 10-29-2012
Already don't like them. First time on their web page froze my compy!!!
[Reply]
T.G 01:19 PM 10-29-2012
Originally Posted by MadMac:
I found this review which, at least states that someone has tried them. http://www.thecigarstore.com/blog/ci...mo-del-diablo/
A review from a website that is trying to sell the cigar, yeah, that's an impartial, unbiased review alright.

I realize this is a gimmick, but the question is - did these guys make a quality product with a gimmick, or is their gimmick the only thing they have going for them?
They also have lots of cheesy T&A photos on the Recon lifestyle page going for them.

For $12 a cigar, there are plenty of well established great cigars out there to be had that don't rely on gimmicks, no need to smoke a bowl of pectin for a lifestyle.

Okay, I the nub. My name is Jon, I have some experience with Punch, Acid, Thomas, and some others I can not currently recall. I found your site when I was searching for information about these Recon cigars. I am former Navy, my friend was in the Marines and he will be visiting us for T-day weekend next month.

I joined to find out more about cigars. I am in a point in my life where I would like to sit back and actually enjoy a nice scotch and cigar. So, I may have some questions from time to time, I will do my best to put them in the appropriate thread when they do arise.
Welcome to the site.
[Reply]
icehog3 01:56 PM 10-29-2012
I found this review which, at least states that someone has tried them. http://www.thecarstore.com/blog/ciga...mo-del-diablo/

Thank you,
-Jon
Welcome to the site, Jon. I find it interesting that your first post, searching for Recon cigars, includes a link to a glowing review....just call it my "suspicious nature". I am sure your participation in the coming days will dispell my skeptical side.
[Reply]
dubleuhb 02:02 PM 10-29-2012
Bowl of pectin...:-)

:-)
[Reply]
357 02:03 PM 10-29-2012
Either these cigars have an amazing cult following of people who love to make single posts on cigar forums (singing their praises) or...
[Reply]
pnoon 04:53 PM 10-29-2012
Originally Posted by 357:
Either these cigars have an amazing cult following of people who love to make single posts on cigar forums (singing their praises) or...
And the shills keep coming.
[Reply]
Ranger_B 09:21 PM 10-29-2012
So I still have not found someone who has smoked one but I decided to write the company asking about their tobacco and the product here is what I got back:

"Thank you for your interest in the Triumphant Recon Cigar. Whether you are a consumer or retailer, we will be happy to share information and educate you on the virtues of our unique brand. Please see attached letter from our COO. We look forward to serving you.

Customer Care
www.ReconCigars.com"

And this is the flyer

"October 23. 2012
Attn: Frank Brennan
Dear Frank,
I am very happy to introduce you to the Triumphant Recon Cigar.
The Recon is a Nicaraguan born 6.5 x 54 Toro, medium-bodied hand rolled cigar. The wrapper is
Ecuadorian Light-Habano, the fillers are five year aged Nicaraguan long-fillers from three different
regions of Nicaragua: Esteli, Condega and Jalapa. Our binder is Indonesian.
Lastly, and what is the most artisanal craftsmanship of our production; we hand cut (in very
specific shapes) and hand place, pieces of Candela, Maduro, Connecticut Shade and Dark
Maduro wrapper leaves to complete the acclaimed ‘Camo’ look. This is a ‘Woodland Camo’ to be
specific. We have a reverse Woodland (a full-bodied Recon) in development as well as a desert
Camo and various sizes in the works. As for the Recon’s flavor profile, it is creamy, aromatic with
nuances of cedar and citrus. This cigar, although not full bodied, packs a lot of flavor.
Packaging: The Recon comes in a replica ammunitions case that holds 20 sticks. It measures 23
!” x 12 "” x 3”.
We have created a highly unique cigar whose aesthetics in no way affect the burn or flavor notes.
It is truly something to marvel and enjoy form beginning to end. We have engineered a cigar that
delivers on the promise.
Our master tobacconists are the Puentes brothers (Gonzalo and Daniel); third generation Cuban
cigar masters now residing in Esteli and creating some of the most disruptive blends for Humo
Del Diablo, LLC (Recon Cigars’ parent company). They bring a long legacy of tobacco growth
(Gonzalo is an agricultural engineer) and cigar production to and industry where commonplace is
everyday practice. We could not be more pleased to be teamed up fellow innovators.
We are very excited about the opportunity to present you with our cigars. We look forward to your
thoughts and experience. Thank you kindly.
Best regards,
J. Giovanni Baquerizo
Co-Founder/ COO
Humo Del Diablo, LLC"

I can say that they do appear to be honest about wanting to help soldiers and marines with a portion of the profit going to service charities. But a company launching a very gimmicky smoke at a Super premium price I think is not the smartest business model. Mind you a few gun guys or gear guys from SHOT show and AUSA and other shows have said they like the smoke but these are not the smokes we find here enjoying the large variety of premium cigars.
[Reply]
T.G 09:47 PM 10-29-2012
Originally Posted by Ranger_B:
So I still have not found someone who has smoked one but I decided to write the company asking about their tobacco and the product here is what I got back:

"Thank you for your interest in the Triumphant Recon Cigar. Whether you are a consumer or retailer, we will be happy to share information and educate you on the virtues of our unique brand. Please see attached letter from our COO. We look forward to serving you.

Customer Care
www.ReconCigars.com"

And this is the flyer

"October 23. 2012
Attn: Frank Brennan
Dear Frank,
I am very happy to introduce you to the Triumphant Recon Cigar.
The Recon is a Nicaraguan born 6.5 x 54 Toro, medium-bodied hand rolled cigar. The wrapper is
Ecuadorian Light-Habano, the fillers are five year aged Nicaraguan long-fillers from three different
regions of Nicaragua: Esteli, Condega and Jalapa. Our binder is Indonesian.
Lastly, and what is the most artisanal craftsmanship of our production; we hand cut (in very
specific shapes) and hand place, pieces of Candela, Maduro, Connecticut Shade and Dark
Maduro wrapper leaves to complete the acclaimed ‘Camo’ look. This is a ‘Woodland Camo’ to be
specific. We have a reverse Woodland (a full-bodied Recon) in development as well as a desert
Camo and various sizes in the works. As for the Recon’s flavor profile, it is creamy, aromatic with
nuances of cedar and citrus. This cigar, although not full bodied, packs a lot of flavor.
Packaging: The Recon comes in a replica ammunitions case that holds 20 sticks. It measures 23
!” x 12 "” x 3”.
We have created a highly unique cigar whose aesthetics in no way affect the burn or flavor notes.
It is truly something to marvel and enjoy form beginning to end. We have engineered a cigar that
delivers on the promise.
Our master tobacconists are the Puentes brothers (Gonzalo and Daniel); third generation Cuban
cigar masters now residing in Esteli and creating some of the most disruptive blends for Humo
Del Diablo, LLC (Recon Cigars’ parent company). They bring a long legacy of tobacco growth
(Gonzalo is an agricultural engineer) and cigar production to and industry where commonplace is
everyday practice. We could not be more pleased to be teamed up fellow innovators.
We are very excited about the opportunity to present you with our cigars. We look forward to your
thoughts and experience. Thank you kindly.
Best regards,
J. Giovanni Baquerizo
Co-Founder/ COO
Humo Del Diablo, LLC"

I can say that they do appear to be honest about wanting to help soldiers and marines with a portion of the profit going to service charities
. But a company launching a very gimmicky smoke at a Super premium price I think is not the smartest business model. Mind you a few gun guys or gear guys from SHOT show and AUSA and other shows have said they like the smoke but these are not the smokes we find here enjoying the large variety of premium cigars.
Based on what, Frank? I see nothing in that letter that indicates any donation, let alone a specific percentage. All I see is a bunch of standard marketing BS about the cigar.

PS: I have heard the Puentes family name before, I just can't remember where.
[Reply]
icehog3 11:03 PM 10-29-2012
Some of that letter could be straight out of a Thompson's catalogue. :-)
[Reply]
CigarNut 08:09 AM 10-30-2012
[Reply]
xFreebirdx 08:25 AM 10-30-2012
I don't know......looking at the images they have in their header on their home page.
The cigars look like the wrapper is peeling/loose and cracked in a couple pictures.
You'd think they would of caught that. I hope its not because those were the best cigars to use for pictures........
Looks like it could of been a cool concept if things were done right. I just don't get the feeling that things were done right........
[Reply]
Page 3 of 4
< 123 4 >
Up