Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 281 of 350
« First < 181231271279280281 282283291331 > Last »
Health and Fitness>Pumping Iron with Zemekone and Icehog3
Devanmc 04:13 PM 02-16-2012
Started up at the local Crossfit box this week. I guess ill see how far i get until i have surgery.

http://www.crossfitazo.com

yesterday skill/strength was deadlift(2-2-2-2-2) maxed 185lbsx2
icehog3 05:57 PM 02-16-2012
One of my sergeants has been doing crossfit for quite some time and raves about the workouts and the results. Good luck, Devan! :-)

Two off days for me on the DG program as I doubled up yesterday. Heal up, and hit it hard Saturday.
mmblz 08:29 PM 02-16-2012
This is hard:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-FPG1ruMes
fencefixer 05:07 AM 02-27-2012
Since you guys are so sporty, care to jumpstart a noob like myself?

For years now I've been struggling to GAIN weight. I am 6 feet tall and weigh 155lbs. It took me a whole decade to gain 5lbs in weight alone. Was so proud when I moved from 32" waist size to 34"!!

I eat a good amount of food - just this morning I used half a loaf of toast to make me sandwiches (Honey+Butter+Cheese+Jam+Mayo), usually I can eat whatever I want, whenever I want, without any effects besides taking a bit longer in the bathroom. :-) I don't drink any pop and I can't have milk so I drink almond/soy/coconut milk.

Got a full set of equipment at home:
http://www.amazon.com/Marcy-MWB-716-...pr_product_top

This bench and other weights, including those weird things that you put on the ground, hold on to and do push-ups with, sorry I don't know what you call them. I've been working out every 2 days or so, doing push-ups, lifting weights while focusing on different parts of the body each time -> working towards exhaustion, I usually finish a rep to the point where I feel like collapsing.

Well, it ain't working. I'm sure I'm doing something wrong. Help. :-)
DBall 05:56 AM 02-27-2012
Originally Posted by fencefixer:

For years now I've been struggling to GAIN weight. I am 6 feet tall and weigh 155lbs. It took me a whole decade to gain 5lbs in weight alone. Was so proud when I moved from 32" waist size to 34"!!

I eat a good amount of food - just this morning I used half a loaf of toast to make me sandwiches (Honey+Butter+Cheese+Jam+Mayo), usually I can eat whatever I want, whenever I want, without any effects besides taking a bit longer in the bathroom. :-) I don't drink any pop and I can't have milk so I drink almond/soy/coconut milk.

This bench and other weights, including those weird things that you put on the ground, hold on to and do push-ups with, sorry I don't know what you call them. I've been working out every 2 days or so, doing push-ups, lifting weights while focusing on different parts of the body each time -> working towards exhaustion, I usually finish a rep to the point where I feel like collapsing.

Welcome to the club... 5'9" 145ish here (and this is the heaviest I've been). I've been told to eat 3000-5000 calories a day by various people... it is difficult for me to eat that much as I usually eat a lot of small meals a day. Doing that for a while (eating 3000-3300 calories a day) did get me up to where I am now from around 139 where I was before. I'd contemplated some weight gainer type stuff, but quickly shot that idea down because I'd prefer to either do it by eating healthy-ish stuff or not at all.

I've noticed a difference with the "less reps using more weight" approach... I spend less time in the gym and burn less calories, but I'm definitely getting stronger.

As far as the calorie intake, I just kinda stopped counting. I'm happy being the weight I am... I mean, would it be cool to be 185 and all jacked? Sure, but I know I'm a hard gainer... as long as I continue to be able to lift more weight, I'm content.

Good luck on whatever you decide to try, man! :-)
Devanmc 10:52 AM 02-28-2012
last night was killer.

AMRAP= as many rounds as possible... for 20min
we had a 3 man group rotating every 5 reps, final count 298

for those who dont know what a burpee box jump is
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5TOVmvuNX4

24" box
Chainsaw13 10:59 AM 02-28-2012
DC/Dan, how much protein do you eat a day? If you're looking to put on muscle mass, you need to increase your protein intake along with the working out. If you don't get sufficient protein into your system, especially right after the workout, the muscles won't repair themselves properly and grow.

Dan, if you have an affinity to artificial ingredients, look at Optimum Nutritions Natural line of protein powders. They contain no artificial ingredients and taste good.
Chainsaw13 02:00 PM 02-28-2012
Just to follow up with the thought about protein. The reading I've been doing the last year points to 1g of protein/day for each lb of body weight. So a 180lb man would need 180g of protein a day. You could get away with taking in less protein, but you wouldn't see the as great of results. Now this is if you're doing a lot of exercise/weights. If you're sedentary or exercising infrequently it won't do you as much good.
PuffPuffGive1 02:37 PM 02-28-2012
Originally Posted by fencefixer:

I say you up your protein/carb/fat intake to a macros of 40/40/20. It's a pain in the ass to eat that much every day, everyday, and going to your ORM (one rep max) everytime, but it will pay off. If not...sorry to say but genetics have a good part in 'growing', as well.
GreekGodX 01:56 PM 03-01-2012
Originally Posted by PuffPuffGive1:
I say you up your protein/carb/fat intake to a macros of 40/40/20. It's a pain in the ass to eat that much every day, everyday, and going to your ORM (one rep max) everytime, but it will pay off. If not...sorry to say but genetics have a good part in 'growing', as well.
Going to your one rep max every workout will fry your CNS and after about a week or two of workouts you will feel like crap. My current program (Doggcrap), makes me go until failure but it is not my 1-rep max. There is only 3 workouts/week giving ample recovery time. Lifting heavy is great and will lead to growth but just doing 1-rep maxes all the time is just going to get you frustrated and tired very fast.

Plus those that want to put on weight, you need to understand you are going to gain some fat. You can limit the amount of fat by making some smarter food choices. However I don't buy into talk that genetics has a good part in growing. Some part? Yes because elite athletes are a prime example of what good genetics will get you, but under the right methods someone with "bad genetics" can make impressive gains. Protein is not the only player in growth and I wouldn't go more than 3x your body weight. Excess protein is just as easily turned into fat.
mosesbotbol 02:11 PM 03-01-2012
1 rep max sets should only be every couple of weeks or so IMO. You're not going to get results from such limited effort and the injury rate gets higher. Even on a max attempt, afew sets should be done as a warm up.

If you want to increase the amount you lift, 2.5's are your friend, but even with that one's energy level & mind set are not always the same every workout.
icehog3 04:24 PM 03-01-2012
Truth from Christos and Moses, agreed on all points. Maxing (single rep) every workout is counterproductive, and can be dangerous to your body.
Bill86 09:15 PM 03-01-2012
Is one rep max even worth doing? Do you get anything from it other than knowing you can do that higher weight one time?

I ask because I've never done one rep maxes.
icehog3 09:49 PM 03-01-2012
Originally Posted by Bill86:
Is one rep max even worth doing? Do you get anything from it other than knowing you can do that higher weight one time?

I ask because I've never done one rep maxes.
For powerlifters, absolutely.

Maybe once in a while for the curious.

For someone trying to gain muscle or functional strength, probably not.
Bill86 09:51 PM 03-01-2012
Originally Posted by icehog3:
For powerlifters, absolutely.

Maybe once in a while for the curious.

For someone trying to gain muscle or functional strength, probably not.
Thats what I figured, thanks Tom!
Adriftpanda 02:10 AM 03-05-2012
Started taking Hemovex last week and I feel it much more than Jacked3D.

Not sure if it's that or I'm just making some huge gains. I did 3x10 with 365lb squats, never thought I would be able to do that much, but I did. Let's see how tomorrow goes (chest day).
Devanmc 07:14 AM 03-05-2012
i know everyone probly has a different opinions but, Im working on changing or cleaning up my diet for help me gain muscle weight. Are other supplements for protein healthy and/or recommended to add to my diet? If so what kind?
Chainsaw13 03:03 PM 03-11-2012
Question for you guys. Now that I've lost all the weight Im concentrating on building some muscle. One area I'm severely lacking is the back of the upper arm. Is that still part of the tricep or the rear shoulder? What dumbbell exercises should I be doing to target that area? I'm currently doing tricep extensions/kickbacks and dips, shoulder presses and rows and lateral raises. Anything else?
icehog3 04:41 PM 03-11-2012
Bob, are dumbbells all you have access to?

The back of the upper arm is the tricep.
Chainsaw13 04:54 PM 03-11-2012
Originally Posted by icehog3:
Bob, are dumbbells all you have access to?

The back of the upper arm is the tricep.
Right now, yes. I'm looking to join a gym at some point, but up until now I was just concerned with losing weight.
Page 281 of 350
« First < 181231271279280281 282283291331 > Last »
Up