Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 28 of 40
« First < 18262728 293038 > Last »
Sports>College Hoops Thread '09-'10
jaycarla 02:27 PM 03-19-2010
Originally Posted by The Poet:
Well, if Coach Romar has finally convinced his players to play up to their early-season hype, then good for him. He picked the right time to do so, for sure. But don't think Alford can't coach a little too, since he took a lot of the good . . . and damn little of the bad . . . from Bobby Knight.
I don't think the Lobos are going to keep UW out of the Sweet 16. The squad is playing like most of us thought they should have played all year. Should be another good game though.
[Reply]
The Poet 02:34 PM 03-19-2010
Originally Posted by jaycarla:
I don't think the Lobos are going to keep UW out of the Sweet 16. The squad is playing like most of us thought they should have played all year. Should be another good game though.
We'll see soon enough, brother. Good luck to both squads.

To go back to that Cornell win for a second, I've done some research. That's the 1st win for an Ivy school since #5-seed Princeton beat #12-seed UNLV 'way back in 1998. As for the Owls coach Fran Dunphy, he extends his NCAA losing streak to 11 straight, and is now 1-12 in his head coaching career in The Dance.

Talk about your wallflowers! :-)
[Reply]
The Poet 02:37 PM 03-19-2010
Final: Purdue 72 - Siena 64 = Wouldn't you know it? The one upset I predict does NOT happen.
[Reply]
The Poet 03:13 PM 03-19-2010
Finals:

Wisconsin 53 - Wofford 49 = Another run-and-gun Badger victory.

Missouri 86 - Clemson 78 = I KNEW the Tigers would win this one. Plus, I picked Missouri too. Clemson can't win a big game to save their freakin' lives.
[Reply]
The Poet 03:37 PM 03-19-2010
Final: Pittsburgh 89 - Oakland 66 = Yeah, this is more like what these 1st-round mismatches should actually be. I did not see a second of this, as I'm at work, but I feel confident it wasn't even that close.
[Reply]
The Poet 03:42 PM 03-19-2010
In the infamous "buried" game, Texas A&M is trying to do just that to Utah State, having them down 11 with 3 left in the 1st.
[Reply]
The Poet 03:52 PM 03-19-2010
At the half, Aggies 42-29 over . . . uh, Aggies.

Well hell, at least it ain't Tigers or Wildcats again.
[Reply]
The Poet 04:22 PM 03-19-2010
Aggies have cut Aggie lead to 7 with 12+ to go.

Go Aggies!
[Reply]
The Poet 04:35 PM 03-19-2010
Aggies get it back up to a dozen @ the under-8 TVTO.
[Reply]
The Poet 04:46 PM 03-19-2010
Aggies up 18 with 4 1/2 to go. Time is running out for the Aggies. I think the Aggies will win, just as the Tigers did earlier today.

I gotta go now, but will be back about tip-off time tomorrow. Until then, enjoy . . . and if it's anything like last night, you should.
[Reply]
jcruse64 06:15 PM 03-19-2010
I liked the Cornell win. Also had my brackets blown apart by the G'Town loss and the Purdue win.

KU and UK went as expected. I REALLY hope this is the finals. UK is going to have to stay awake to get there, though. Very interested in the UL game tonight...hope I can stay awake. Most of the guys at work have UL beating dook, to face UK in that semi. I'd like to see UK facing dook though.
[Reply]
The Poet 10:02 AM 03-20-2010
Originally Posted by jcruse64:
I liked the Cornell win. Also had my brackets blown apart by the G'Town loss and the Purdue win.

KU and UK went as expected. I REALLY hope this is the finals. UK is going to have to stay awake to get there, though. Very interested in the UL game tonight...hope I can stay awake. Most of the guys at work have UL beating dook, to face UK in that semi. I'd like to see UK facing dook though.
Brother, I don't know if Dook can survive to the Final four, but I do know that Louisville ain't gonna knock them out. :-)

More to follow ASAP.
[Reply]
The Poet 11:07 AM 03-20-2010
As alluded to above, California took care of the Cardinals 77-62, in a game that was closer than the final score. The Bear lead was down to 4 with plenty of time left, but once they got it back up to double-digits an intentional foul call, coupled with a T slapped on Rick Pitino, put it out of reach for good. Hey, 4 from the stripe, PLUS the ball, will end a chance quickly. I'm pleased with this, for two reasons: First, although I reported on it frequently on this thread, I never bought into the experts who said the Pac-10 was as weak as they believed. Hell, I felt the Sun Devils deserved a bid also! And second, even though I like Pitino a little - and I do mean a LITTLE - bit better than I liked Denny Crum, I still cannot stand Louisville. Props to the Pac-10 for going 2-0 so far . . . as opposed to the 4-4 for the Big East.

As for the back half of that point above, Duke beat up on AR Pine Bluff 73-44. Surprise, surprise. But again, though the margin was OK, it still seems the scoring was a bit meagre for a 1-16 matchup.

Speaking of which, Syracuse took out Vermont 79-56. One might excuse the low scoring as being a partial product of the Orange zone D, but the - relatively - slim margin in this 1-16 has to worry the 'Cuse faithful if their week+ layoff hurt their chemistry.

As I tend to ignore the obvious, I found 3 other scores to note:

Georgia Tech 64 - Oklahoma State 59 = All year long we heard how great Big 12 ball was, and how poor was the ACC. Well, take that!

Maryland 89 - Houston 77 = The magical run for the Cougars ends against a clearly superior team. Props to them for even making the tourney, and more props for hanging tough. Yet despite a poor shooting night for Vasquez, the Terps grabbed control and held it.

Michigan State 70 - New Mexico State 67 = Last year's runner-up for the championship needed a controversial lane-violation call, plus a reported fark-up with the clock that cost the Aggies a third shot to send the game into OT, in order to get the win. Well, boo-hoo. Hey, $#!+ happens. If you don't want the game decided by the zebras, then go out and dominate.

I'll be back later, after I check back on that OTHER half of last season's championship. My Heels too a 3-point lead over Miss. State into the lockerroom, and I want to see when they lose it. :-)
[Reply]
The Poet 11:41 AM 03-20-2010
I know you don't care, but the Heels up 2 with 3 1/2 left.
[Reply]
The Poet 11:44 AM 03-20-2010
Now down 3 with 2 1/2 left. Oh, and St. Mary's giving 'Nova more than they can handle, late in the 1st.
[Reply]
The Poet 11:47 AM 03-20-2010
Tied @ 71, 1:16 left.
[Reply]
The Poet 11:49 AM 03-20-2010
Up 2, 32 ticks.
[Reply]
The Poet 11:56 AM 03-20-2010
Ohhh, baby! Heels hit one at the horn to win 76-74! For the second time inna row they made the plays they needed to down the stretch, and beat the team that took Kentucky to the brink a week ago . . . in Starkville, no less. Now let's see if Jerry's kids can win, and set up another UNC/NCSU matchup.
[Reply]
The Poet 12:27 PM 03-20-2010
Four minutes gone in the 2nd, and the Gaels have increased their lead over 'Nova to 10.
[Reply]
The Poet 12:40 PM 03-20-2010
Midway thru 2nd, 'Nova cuts it to one.
[Reply]
Page 28 of 40
« First < 18262728 293038 > Last »
Up