Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 279 of 350
« First < 179229269277278279 280281289329 > Last »
Health and Fitness>Pumping Iron with Zemekone and Icehog3
DBall 06:01 AM 02-05-2012
Seated Military Press with the bar I was able to get 120 up all by myself (once). Tried 125 and it wasn't going. Oh well... only 25 pounds shy of being able to military press my body weight... I'll take it! :-)
mosesbotbol 08:25 AM 02-05-2012
Originally Posted by DBall:
Seated Military Press with the bar I was able to get 120 up all by myself (once). Tried 125 and it wasn't going. Oh well... only 25 pounds shy of being able to military press my body weight... I'll take it! :-)
Anyone who can military press their body weight or close it is pretty impressive. Be careful with that exercise; the injury potential outweight's the benefit often on military press with barbell. Many bring the weight too far down or hold weight to wide.
Mugen910 08:31 AM 02-05-2012
Originally Posted by icehog3:
I dig those supersets, Bao, I was doing a lot of them before I started the DC program, and I will go back to them again.

For a variation, try doing supersets 1 workout for the same, rather than opposing, bodyparts.

i.e., Pulls up to failure immediately followed by bent over rows (adjust the weight for fatigue).

Incline dumbbell bench straight into dips.

Etc....

I like the sets you are doing, I just change them up sometimes (to two exercises for the same bodypart) to keep mind and body fresh. :-)
Love the tips, I'll keep the 1 body part till failure in mind when I'm switching up the routine in 4 weeks. Thanks!

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol:
Anyone who can military press their body weight or close it is pretty impressive. Be careful with that exercise; the injury potential outweight's the benefit often on military press with barbell. Many bring the weight too far down or hold weight to wide.
Very impressive Dan but I concur with Moses on this one.
hammondc 08:45 AM 02-05-2012
the DogCrap program.
I was reading about this a while back. Pretty damn intense stuff....
DBall 10:10 AM 02-05-2012
I bring it down under my chin (but not much farther) and keep my hands maybe 2-3" out on either side past shoulder width. There's a mirror directly in front that keeps me in check. Also, if I get stuck, I can just stand up and put the bar on the rests in front of me (there's 2 behind and 1 in front).

Haven't noticed any pain during or after with the exercise so far, so that's a good thing... :-)
icehog3 12:31 PM 02-05-2012
Originally Posted by DBall:
I bring it down under my chin (but not much farther) and keep my hands maybe 2-3" out on either side past shoulder width. There's a mirror directly in front that keeps me in check. Also, if I get stuck, I can just stand up and put the bar on the rests in front of me (there's 2 behind and 1 in front).

Haven't noticed any pain during or after with the exercise so far, so that's a good thing... :-)
I do my military presses until my upper arms are just a hair below parallel to the floor, Dan...usually traslates to around the top of my nose. Going below this seems to take the stress off my deltoid muscles and transfer it to other muscles.

Speaking of military presses, hit my DG goals again today, and added some heavy dumbbell presses for volume. Ended the workout with some heavy dumbbell shrugs and thick bar barbell shrugs for grip strength. Some extreme stretching, and it was time for lunch.
DBall 05:55 AM 02-06-2012
I do my military presses until my upper arms are just a hair below parallel to the floor, Dan...usually traslates to around the top of my nose. Going below this seems to take the stress off my deltoid muscles and transfer it to other muscles.
Hmm... that way I think I could probably even do more... can't wait to try it, now... :-)
mosesbotbol 05:01 PM 02-06-2012
Just looking in the mirror, I like my arms at 90 degrees at the bottom of the press and barbell should be just below the eyes.

If you do it without any weight, you can feel the deltoid range ends about there. Personally, I like doing "Arnolds" with dumbells more than Military press and hits more regions of the deltoids. With Arnolds, I bring the fist to around low forehead height. Not much weight is needed.
icehog3 05:13 PM 02-06-2012
Just looking in the mirror, I like my arms at 90 degrees at the bottom of the press and barbell should be just below the eyes.
Sounds like we're about in the same range, Moses.

I also think the idea of the "weightless" press is a good way to "feel" the range of the deltoid muscles, good call. :-)
GreekGodX 05:59 PM 02-06-2012
Sounds like we're about in the same range, Moses.

I also think the idea of the "weightless" press is a good way to "feel" the range of the deltoid muscles, good call. :-)
See my range is different for standing MP and seated MP. Seated it is only to my upper lip. Standing I go all the way down to my shoulders but I grip the bar with my elbows up slightly and facing forward. Close to what it would look like if you cleaned the weight to your shoulders.

Speaking to "feeling" the range. I actually stopped listening to music during my weight lifting because I found I was not paying attention to actually feeling my muscles work. Since I've stopped it has made a big difference, especially in my lat development.
icehog3 08:03 PM 02-06-2012
Originally Posted by GreekGodX:
Speaking to "feeling" the range. I actually stopped listening to music during my weight lifting because I found I was not paying attention to actually feeling my muscles work. Since I've stopped it has made a big difference, especially in my lat development.
I guess it's all an individual thing, Christos....If I don't wear headphones, boneheads at the gym start talking to me in the middle of sets, peoples' conversations on cell phones on the next bench annoy me, etc....The music lets me focus and keeps the distractions out for me....glad we both found what works for us.

I am thinking my bottom point might be lower on the standing military press as well, I will have to be conscious of it the next time I do them.
GreekGodX 08:52 AM 02-07-2012
I guess it's all an individual thing, Christos....If I don't wear headphones, boneheads at the gym start talking to me in the middle of sets, peoples' conversations on cell phones on the next bench annoy me, etc....The music lets me focus and keeps the distractions out for me....glad we both found what works for us.
People definitely are annoying, and I have found I opened myself up to conversations I would rather not have. Like you said though I found something that works for me. I'll take the annoying questions and cell phone talkers so I can feel my reps better. Until I can find a gym that is full of guys dedicated like us.

Another thing I noticed with music that I didn't mention before, is that my rhythm would be thrown off by the beats of the music. I would sometimes find myself lifting to the beat of the music. That was another reason I stopped. I do miss the boost music would give me sometimes.
icehog3 08:56 AM 02-07-2012
Definitely sounds like you have found what work for you, Son. :-)

I probably started using my Ipod at the gym 3 or 4 years ago, and have really found it lets me focus on the set. Just another difference that makes the world go 'round. :-)
DBall 09:01 AM 02-07-2012
Music always affects me, so really good tunes pump me up just as much as the espresso shot I have before my gym trip.

This gives me an idea for a thread....... :-)
mosesbotbol 11:00 AM 02-07-2012
I love hard rocking blasting music to lift weights. I hate using head phones and find they all fall out, especially if laying on back. Even the wrap behind the ears is not that good. I have had issues using them on my bike when looking behind me for traffic.

Anyone have a head phone set they really think stays in the ears?
icehog3 12:03 PM 02-07-2012
I love hard rocking blasting music to lift weights. I hate using head phones and find they all fall out, especially if laying on back. Even the wrap behind the ears is not that good. I have had issues using them on my bike when looking behind me for traffic.

Sennheiser PMX 80 work great for me, Moses.
Mugen910 01:36 PM 02-07-2012
I actually prefer my over the ear Bluetooth headset. I usually wear a hoodie so I'll leave my cell in a pocket and get to business :-)
mosesbotbol 08:10 PM 02-07-2012
I long for the days of AC-DC just blasting in a weight room where everyone is lifting as much as they can. If there's no chalk dust in the air, it's not a weight room!
icehog3 09:06 PM 02-07-2012
I long for the days of AC-DC just blasting in a weight room where everyone is lifting as much as they can. If there's no chalk dust in the air, it's not a weight room!
:-) :-)
DBall 06:01 AM 02-08-2012

I bought a set of Shure ones to use as in-ear monitors while playing shows and now I just use them for everything. Right around $100, but they drown out everything else (great for airplanes and such, too).
Page 279 of 350
« First < 179229269277278279 280281289329 > Last »
Up