« First < 17252627 2829 > Last »
Sports>*2010 MLB Thread*
kelmac07 08:46 PM 07-31-2010
Oh...and when will Arod hit #600????

WHO CARES!!!! :-) :-) :-) :-)
[Reply]
Superbad 09:20 PM 07-31-2010
Originally Posted by VirtualSmitty:
The Rays have fans? Jeez, judging by the last two games it looked like most of the crowd were Yanks fans :-)
Too many transplants down here in FL. They never give up their original home teams. We had season tickets to the Tampa Bay Lightning for 11years. Everytime the Red Wings came to town, more red in the stands than anything. You would have sworn it was a game in Detroit. I was born in Detroit but I wore my lightning stuff, and rooted for the lightning.
[Reply]
MedicCook 09:52 PM 07-31-2010
Originally Posted by kelmac07:
Oh...and when will Arod hit #600????

WHO CARES!!!! :-) :-) :-) :-)
Who's this A-Rod you speak of?
[Reply]
VirtualSmitty 09:36 AM 08-01-2010
So with the non waiver trade deadline over and the flurry of moves that occurred the last few days, who is everyones picks for winners and losers? My thoughts:

Biggest Winners

The Rangers. I still can't believe how active they have been. Player gets hurt, get another one. Lee, Cantu, Guzman, and Molina? They making a serious push.

The Yankees. Not much to say here. Best team in baseball got better with Berkman as the new DH, Wood taking Parks spot (anyone would be an upgrade over him), and Kearns off the bench.

The Dodgers. They certainly got a bit better. Rotation help with Lilly, bullpen help with Dotel, bench help with Podsednik, and a pretty serviceable second baseman in Theriot.

Biggest Losers

The Giants. So much pitching, one of the few teams that could have moved a big league starter and a few prospects without any ill effects for a big bat like Adam Dunn and they failed to do so. San Diego got a little better, the Dodgers got quite a bit better, the Giants did nothing but add two middle relievers. Because pitching is such a problem there.

The White Sox. Only because GM Ken Williams was so vocal and so confident he was gonna land that big bat they needed so badly. First we heard that he was confident he was going to have either Prince Fielder or Adam Dunn for sure. Neither of those worked out. Then a last minute deal for Lance Berkman who canned it because he didn't want to play there. The end result? Williams did nothing.

The Rays. They have an awesome team team. They play good baseball, and they have to because they have some big name free agents who they probably aren't going to resign. Odds are next year they aren't going to be as good. So this is their year to make that push. Ownership talked about how willing they were to increase payroll temporarily to get that extra bat they needed in that lineup. And they did make a move. They picked up struggling Dbacks former closer Chad Qualls who has been nothing short of awful this season. Not what I expected.

So have at it. Who did you think made out big and who got burned?
[Reply]
Starscream 01:57 PM 08-04-2010
A-Rod hits 600...

:-)
[Reply]
The Poet 02:14 PM 08-04-2010
Originally Posted by andysutherland:
A-Rod hits 600...

:-)
OK, I understand you don't like the guy . . . hell, I don't like him much either . . . but is that really the proper response? Give the man some props for being the youngest to hit 600, at least for one day anyway.

Just my :-) , and worth every penny.
[Reply]
kelmac07 02:17 PM 08-04-2010
Way to go A-Fraud!!! :-)
[Reply]
Starscream 02:29 PM 08-04-2010
Originally Posted by The Poet:
OK, I understand you don't like the guy . . . hell, I don't like him much either . . . but is that really the proper response? Give the man some props for being the youngest to hit 600, at least for one day anyway.

Just my :-) , and worth every penny.
Does it really count if 300+ (I just threw a number out at random) of them were with steroids?
[Reply]
The Poet 02:31 PM 08-04-2010
Originally Posted by kelmac07:
Way to go A-Fraud!!! :-)
I just read an interesting column by Jeff Passan on Yahoo Sports re this matter, and it appears that he himself does not even know where to stand on this issue. For instance, he says nobody will blink when A-Rod hits 610 to surpass Sammy Sosa (who not only juiced, but corked to boot), but may react differently when #631 sails him past Junior. Then he contrasts A-Rod's fessing-up to the ludicrous denials of Bonds, Clemens, McGwire, and Manny, and gives him some credit on that score. The bottom line seemed to be that Jeff could not pick a bottom line.

That's pretty much the way I feel too. But nevertheless, I am willing to give him his day in the sun.
[Reply]
The Poet 02:37 PM 08-04-2010
Does it really count if 300+ (I just threw a number out at random) of them were with steroids?
Andy, no offense, but that "300+" figure is just silly, and you know it. I seriously doubt if the number that was "juiced" is as much as 30. He tested positive while in Texas, where he hit, over 3 seasons, 156 total. With his swing, most of those would have gone out anyway. Like I keep saying, it is OK to not like the guy. But be fair . . . the man would have hit 600 anyway, juice or not.
[Reply]
Starscream 02:46 PM 08-04-2010
I just read an interesting column by Jeff Passan on Yahoo Sports re this matter, and it appears that he himself does not even know where to stand on this issue. For instance, he says nobody will blink when A-Rod hits 610 to surpass Sammy Sosa (who not only juiced, but corked to boot), but may react differently when #631 sails him past Junior. Then he contrasts A-Rod's fessing-up to the ludicrous denials of Bonds, Clemens, McGwire, and Manny, and gives him some credit on that score. The bottom line seemed to be that Jeff could not pick a bottom line.

That's pretty much the way I feel too. But nevertheless, I am willing to give him his day in the sun.
That's my problem with it. I'm not a big hater of PEDs in sports (they're not good, but not as evil as everyone makes them out to be, but that's another issue for another day), but when major milestones are made by those who blatantly cheat, it takes away from the true greats like Jr., Aaron, Ruth, and Gehrig. When (if) Jeter overtakes Pete Rose for the all-time hits record I will be a bit sad but will definitely cheer Jeter for his accomplishment. Jeter is a class act and there are many in baseball like him (stand-up guys). Unfortunately, baseball has turned into a sport that caters to guys like A-Rod and Manny.
[Reply]
The Poet 02:53 PM 08-04-2010
Now THAT I cannot argue with, my brother.
[Reply]
Starscream 01:14 PM 08-09-2010
Congrats to Jeter for surpassing Ruth on the all-time hit list!
[Reply]
The Poet 01:18 PM 08-09-2010
Congrats to Jeter for surpassing Ruth on the all-time hit list!
And for handling it with typical Jeterian aplomb. Love the Yanks or hate them, you can't deny Jeets is a class act.
[Reply]
Starscream 01:24 PM 08-09-2010
And for handling it with typical Jeterian aplomb. Love the Yanks or hate them, you can't deny Jeets is a class act.
Amen to that. He's one to never want to take credit for anything. He's all about team.:-)
[Reply]
The Poet 02:26 PM 08-09-2010
Seattle Mariners just fired Don Wakamatsu as mis-manager.
[Reply]
Starscream 02:39 PM 08-09-2010
Seattle Mariners just fired Don Wakamatsu as mis-manager.
Who's interim?
[Reply]
The Poet 02:44 PM 08-09-2010
Daren Brown, from 3A Tacoma.
[Reply]
The Poet 04:03 PM 09-17-2010
It has been announced that Joe Torre, present manager of the LA Dodgers, will retire at the end of this season. He will be replaced by the man who made me a Yankee fan . . . the one and only Donnie Baseball, Don Mattingly.

Though Torre now plans to remain an advisor with the Dodgers, he has yet to rule out the possibility that he might manage again. Are you listening, Mac? Your Mets don't seem to have much of one at the moment, although they do have a more glaring need for a GM . . . and a few players. :-)
[Reply]
kelmac07 04:09 PM 09-17-2010
It has been announced that Joe Torre, present manager of the LA Dodgers, will retire at the end of this season. He will be replaced by the man who made me a Yankee fan . . . the one and only Donnie Baseball, Don Mattingly.

Though Torre now plans to remain an advisor with the Dodgers, he has yet to rule out the possibility that he might manage again. Are you listening, Mac? Your Mets don't seem to have much of one at the moment, although they do have a more glaring need for a GM . . . and a few players. :-)
I can't hear you I can't hear you I can't hear you I can't hear you I can't hear you I can't hear you I can't hear you :-) :-) :-) :-)
[Reply]
Page 27 of 31
« First < 17252627 2829 > Last »
Up