Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 27 of 53
« First < 17252627 282937 > Last »
Sports>*2009 MLB Thread*
The Poet 03:30 PM 07-29-2009
Originally Posted by scoot:
Now if Amaro will toss Happ, Drabek, and Brown to the Jays for Doc we can go ahead and win back-to-back titles.
Yeah - if they toss in Rollins and Howard as extras maybe. :-)
[Reply]
yourchoice 03:41 PM 07-29-2009
Now if Amaro will toss Happ, Drabek, and Brown to the Jays for Doc we can go ahead and win back-to-back titles.
0.05% chance of that, but I think they have a very good chance (3/1 ~ 4/1) with just this move.

Don't forget they finally got a right-handed bat off the bench along with Lee too! Ben Francisco
[Reply]
Darrell 04:23 PM 07-29-2009
We are the Wild Card, just took the Pirates at the bottom of the 10th.

Tomorrow starts the series against Philly, it's going to be insane. I'll be at the game Sunday.
[Reply]
scoot 04:24 PM 07-29-2009
Originally Posted by yourchoice:
0.05% chance of that, but I think they have a very good chance (3/1 ~ 4/1) with just this move.

Don't forget they finally got a right-handed bat off the bench along with Lee too! Ben Francisco
Yeah I know, but I think it would be better than keeping Happ and Drabek. Happ is good, but its unlikely that he'll develop into a number one guy, teams are going to start hitting him one they see more of him. Drabek is a prospect and as such is largely unproven, plus he's only 21 and has already had Tommy John surgery. I'd gladly give them both away for Halladay in the rotation for the remainder of this year and next season. It would make the likelihood of a world championship that much higher. Plus he'd be more than likely to resign if he gets a ring while he's here.

But, the big downside to Halladay is his 15M+ contract for next year which Amaro will almost definitely not take on after getting Lee and with other financial issues, such as Blanton, to handle. I'd still love to see it happen though.
[Reply]
scoot 04:32 PM 07-29-2009
Originally Posted by The Poet:
Yeah - if they toss in Rollins and Howard as extras maybe. :-)
No, they would most likely accept as it was the Jays original offer.
[Reply]
yourchoice 05:02 PM 07-29-2009
Yeah I know, but I think it would be better than keeping Happ and Drabek. Happ is good, but its unlikely that he'll develop into a number one guy, teams are going to start hitting him one they see more of him. Drabek is a prospect and as such is largely unproven, plus he's only 21 and has already had Tommy John surgery. I'd gladly give them both away for Halladay in the rotation for the remainder of this year and next season. It would make the likelihood of a world championship that much higher. Plus he'd be more than likely to resign if he gets a ring while he's here.

But, the big downside to Halladay is his 15M+ contract for next year which Amaro will almost definitely not take on after getting Lee and with other financial issues, such as Blanton, to handle. I'd still love to see it happen though.
For the most part, I agree. Happ is a major league pitcher, but probably realistically will develop into a solid 3. Drabek is supposedly a stud (top of the rotation guy) but actually, I think he's had two surgeries (one in HS). The guy you left out that the Jays wanted, Brown, is supposedly a super prospect too. From what I heard he's one of three outfielders presently in A ball who is projected to be a MLB All-Star (a guy in the Braves system and a guy in the Marlins system are the other two). It would have been an awful lot for Doc, but I still would have loved to got him. If last year's AL Cy Young winner was the back-up plan, I'm not complaining.

It's crazy to think this is the same ownership that was in place in the late '90s.
[Reply]
Darrell 11:25 AM 07-30-2009
So we traded Tim Alderson for Freddy Sanchez.

I am not 100% behind this trade.

I have concerns about Sanchez and his knee problems, though he bats .300 for his career. We can def use some hitters.

Alderson was a good prospect pitcher, but we have enough pitchers.

My biggest concern again, is Sanchez's knee problems.
[Reply]
yourchoice 11:37 AM 07-30-2009
There's a report that Manny and Ortiz were both on the list of those who tested positive in 2003.

Link.

Let's see what spin Faux-Sox Nation has! :-) The only thing I'd rather hear less than that is what the Weasel Empire has to add! :-)
[Reply]
Darrell 11:38 AM 07-30-2009
Originally Posted by yourchoice:
There's a report that Manny and Ortiz were both on the list of those who tested positive in 2003.

Link.

Let's see what spin Faux-Sox Nation has! :-) The only thing I'd rather not hear is what the Weasel Empire has to add! :-)
Good!

Now they need to be barred from the HOF.
[Reply]
kelmac07 11:40 AM 07-30-2009
Originally Posted by Darrell:
So we traded Tim Alderson for Freddy Sanchez.

I am not 100% behind this trade.

I have concerns about Sanchez and his knee problems, though he bats .300 for his career. We can def use some hitters.

Alderson was a good prospect pitcher, but we have enough pitchers.

My biggest concern again, is Sanchez's knee problems.
But Sanchez is a gamer, excellent hitter and he plugs the hole at second for the Giants...they have PLENTY of pitching already. I think this trade makes you guys stronger.
[Reply]
PeteSB75 11:46 AM 07-30-2009
Good!

Now they need to be barred from the HOF.
Now we need to bar everyone who played before 2004. Because they were ALL using them.
[Reply]
MedicCook 11:51 AM 07-30-2009
The Yankees are looking to pick up Corey Patterson off wavers since Gardner is out with a broken hand for a while.
[Reply]
VirtualSmitty 11:57 AM 07-30-2009
Originally Posted by MedicCook:
The Yankees are looking to pick up Corey Patterson off wavers since Gardner is out with a broken hand for a while.
Bah, he sucks. Not even the freakin' Nats wanted him :-)
[Reply]
MedicCook 11:58 AM 07-30-2009
Originally Posted by VirtualSmitty:
Bah, he sucks. Not even the freakin' Nats wanted him :-)
Off of waivers he is pretty much free to the Yankees and they could use another bench player while Gardner is out. It would be a no lose pick up.
[Reply]
VirtualSmitty 12:02 PM 07-30-2009
Off of waivers he is pretty much free to the Yankees and they could use another bench player while Gardner is out. It would be a no lose pick up.
I'd rather see them bring up Austin Jackson or give Shelley Duncan another chance.
[Reply]
MedicCook 12:04 PM 07-30-2009
Austin Jackson needs to be playing everyday though. I think he has a great shot at opening day roster in 2010 though.
[Reply]
VirtualSmitty 12:07 PM 07-30-2009
Austin Jackson needs to be playing everyday though. I think he has a great shot at opening day roster in 2010 though.
Eh, I don't think a trip to the majors would be a bad thing for him. If they platooned him on and off with Melky he'd get enough at bats. Patterson just seems like a waste of time, Gardener is only going to be gone for two weeks.
[Reply]
Darrell 12:15 PM 07-30-2009
Originally Posted by kelmac07:
But Sanchez is a gamer, excellent hitter and he plugs the hole at second for the Giants...they have PLENTY of pitching already. I think this trade makes you guys stronger.
Aren't you concerned about the knee?
[Reply]
The Poet 02:57 PM 07-30-2009
Mike's Mets were rained out last night. Too bad. Not only were they on a roll, I heard that Omar Minaya was scheduled to throw out the ceremonial first reporter. :-)
[Reply]
VirtualSmitty 02:59 PM 07-30-2009
Aren't you concerned about the knee?
Well worth the risk. The Giants need bats, they won't miss one pitching prospect. And Sanchez can hit, I think it was a pretty good trade.

Dodgers picked up Sherill today. Good move, he was pretty tough on hitters here in the AL East.
[Reply]
Page 27 of 53
« First < 17252627 282937 > Last »
Up