General Discussion>Gardeners in the Asylum
Steve 06:20 AM 05-14-2014
Almost there...

[Reply]
Steve 07:53 AM 05-16-2014
Picked last night...

[Reply]
AUguy 05:50 PM 05-19-2014
Steve. Those are some good looking plants. Is that a better bush? Couldn't really zoom in enough to tell. If you don't mind me asking where are you located? I may know the guy you bought the plants from.
[Reply]
Steve 06:07 AM 05-20-2014
Yes, it is a better bush. I'm in Florida. And by the way, thos two 'maters tasted awesome!
[Reply]
AUguy 01:08 PM 05-22-2014
I have a buddy who works out of our Lake City farm in Florida. Not sure what areas he delivers to though. I grew a better bush a few years ago and was really surprised at how many tomatoes it produced. It is not a great seller in most areas but I think that is mostly due to the name.
[Reply]
Steve 09:53 AM 06-13-2014
Last night Holly made homemade pizza using basil, tomatoes and oregano from our garden and sausage from a little piggie that wasn't fast enough. Man, beats the heck outta store bought stuff!
[Reply]
OLS 11:56 AM 06-13-2014
Steve, do you grow those marigolds/mums as pest control?
[Reply]
OLS 12:00 PM 06-13-2014
Originally Posted by AUguy:
A side note. If anyone recognizes the company these are grown for please don't post the name. They don't really like when employees post stuff on the internet.
Sources close to the investigation asked not to be named as they were not allowed to talk to the media.
LEAKER :-)
[Reply]
baust55 12:14 PM 06-13-2014
I love to garden ..............

AUSTIN
[Reply]
Steve 12:28 PM 06-13-2014
Originally Posted by OLS:
Steve, do you grow those marigolds/mums as pest control?
Yes...that is the theory :-)
[Reply]
Chainsaw13 12:30 PM 06-13-2014
I guess I should've done a better job marking my plants. I have one bed with a collard green and cauliflower. I continue to look for growth of the cauliflower head, but haven't seen one yet. So right now, I can't tell which is which.
[Reply]
OLS 01:00 PM 06-13-2014
Originally Posted by Steve:
Yes...that is the theory :-)
And its a solid theory based on all I know about pest control, which these days is quite a lot.
Except for the "drive me into the arms of another" theory. Interested to see which theory wins out.
If nothing else, you will have some pretty flowers which you'll be able to see through the leaves of
your vegetable plants. I am going with a little of both. Can't wait to see how this works out. If the
mums get REALLY WILD, you should prune them, boil some tea with the leaves and flowers and then
spray that on the veggies. I KNOW that should work.
[Reply]
Steve 01:12 PM 06-13-2014
I have noticed that a few of the leaves, mainly on the pepper plants of all things, have been munched on and we lost one tomato early on to a worm but we separated it quickly from the others. Other than that I haven't seen a lot of pests so I'm going to go with "they're working".

:-)
[Reply]
Chainsaw13 05:59 PM 06-13-2014
I had some caterpillars on my celery plants. Quick snip with the scissors took care of that. Next day, gone.

Growing a new type of corn this year. Never seen multiple stalks from the same plant before. Hopefully they all produce.
[Reply]
AUguy 08:27 AM 06-15-2014
Hope everyone's garden is doing well with all of the rain we've had in many parts of the country. My season is winding down so I will get to plant my garden in a few weeks when I get home.

In the meantime, here is a little plant **** for you basil lovers out there.

Speaking of basil. Be on the lookout for downy mildew. Word is that it is making its way around the northeast.
[Reply]
AUguy 08:29 AM 06-15-2014
Originally Posted by Chainsaw13:
I had some caterpillars on my celery plants. Quick snip with the scissors took care of that. Next day, gone.

Growing a new type of corn this year. Never seen multiple stalks from the same plant before. Hopefully they all produce.
Whats the name of the corn you're growing? I would love to see some pics of the multiple stalks if you don't mind.
[Reply]
Chainsaw13 08:42 AM 06-15-2014
Whats the name of the corn you're growing? I would love to see some pics of the multiple stalks if you don't mind.
It's Golden Bantam Sweet. If you look at the pic, you can see the main center stalk, then the smaller stalks coming off the sides at an angle. Some of the side stalks are rather large.

I've only grown corn once before and don't remember it doing that before.
Attached: image.jpg (108.7 KB) 
[Reply]
AUguy 08:48 AM 06-15-2014
I've never seen that either. I assume from the name that it is a yellow corn. Let me know how it taste when it's ready.
[Reply]
Chainsaw13 08:52 AM 06-15-2014
I've never seen that either. I assume from the name that it is a yellow corn. Let me know how it taste when it's ready.
Will do. The largest plants are nearing 3' tall. I'm guessing august I should see something.
[Reply]
8zeros 03:29 PM 06-15-2014
Multiple stalks on corn is common, I see them a lot. Leave them on, they make the plant stronger.
[Reply]
Page 26 of 32
« First < 16242526 2728 > Last »
Up