Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 25 of 111
« First < 15232425 26273575 > Last »
Wine, Beer, and Spirits>beer hauls
awsmith4 10:09 PM 08-24-2010
Originally Posted by Bill86:
O_O Dogfish head I haven't tried...*gives TN the finger*. It's an imperial stout too :-):-)
Just hit shelves here in GA this weekend so it may be around. Not sure how good beer availability is there but it sucked here until the last couple of years.
[Reply]
Bill86 10:12 PM 08-24-2010
Yeah it sucks here, badly....I've literally drank about 75% of the available beers here. The other 25% aren't worth mentioning...high gravity that is. I don't drink anything that isn't 7%+
[Reply]
awsmith4 10:27 PM 08-24-2010
Yeah it sucks here, badly....I've literally drank about 75% of the available beers here. The other 25% aren't worth mentioning...high gravity that is. I don't drink anything that isn't 7%+
You're could be missing out then, a good brew isn't always high abv. High alcohol does tend to help with the complexity but isn't what makes craft beer good. I've had many a good brew under 7%. For example the Duck-Rabbit Milk Stout I drink frequently is only 5.7% but its a damn fine beer. I've seen you mention Rate Beer, they score it a 94. Sure most Imperial Stouts (my favorite) are higher, but my advice would not to go by abv alone but let taste dictate what you drink. With that said I do find myself gravitating (excuse the pun) towards higher abv beers but I will never limit my experience based on a alcohol content.
[Reply]
Bill86 10:40 PM 08-24-2010
That's sums up pretty much how I feel. I'd RATHER drink higher ABV 7%+ but occasionally I'll dip into the lower ABV beers. Yeah Imperial stouts are always HIGH ABV, and are my favorite type of beer.
[Reply]
pnoon 10:45 PM 08-24-2010
Then you are missing out on an awful lot of good/great beer.

Edit: Looks like Albert beat me to the punch. :-)
[Reply]
Bill86 11:54 PM 08-24-2010
Originally Posted by pnoon:
Then you are missing out on an awful lot of good/great beer.

Edit: Looks like Albert beat me to the punch. :-)
Better late then never, but you did miss my post where it said I do dip into the low gravity beers occasionally but I like the complexity of the high gravity brews. Just a preference, again though you have to factor in TN's HORRIBLE distribution. I drink the best of what is available to me....you can bet on that.
[Reply]
xlc12rf 04:14 AM 08-25-2010
Originally Posted by BeerAdvocate:
Received my end of a beer trade on BeerAdvocate.com

2 bottles of Stone Cali-Belgie IPA
Stone 14 Imperial IPA
Stone Squall IPA - Naturally Fermented bottle conditioned 90min IPA
Squall is a DFH brew. Great beer!

May I ask what you traded for this? This stuff is easy to get for me :-)
[Reply]
b0rderman 07:59 AM 08-25-2010
They finally released *****es Brew?!!! I was expecting so see that when I was back east but it wasn't out yet...nice haul!
[Reply]
kaisersozei 09:36 AM 08-25-2010
Better late then never, but you did miss my post where it said I do dip into the low gravity beers occasionally but I like the complexity of the high gravity brews. Just a preference, again though you have to factor in TN's HORRIBLE distribution. I drink the best of what is available to me....you can bet on that.
Low gravity beers with complexity include many Belgians & American craft beers brewed with Belgian ale yeast strains (seems to be a growing trend,) as well as your brown ale/porter/stout category beers. Try those if you get them in your area.

Here's a pretty timely article from a DC paper, interviewing the brewers at SN & Allagash about this topic:

http://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/b...ecialty-beers/
[Reply]
BeerAdvocate 09:55 AM 08-25-2010
Originally Posted by xlc12rf:
Squall is a DFH brew. Great beer!

May I ask what you traded for this? This stuff is easy to get for me :-)
Right DFH, not Stone. Sorry for the typo.
Nothing major, just some local Boulevard & Schlafly beers.
I was more interested in the Stone Cali-Belgie, he just threw in the Squall
[Reply]
b0rderman 07:27 PM 08-25-2010
Albert inspired me to head to the local store...*****es brew is in, along with a good few of the oktoberfest beers...today's haul:

Has anyone had that Stone, DFH, Victory colab yet? I've heard decent things.

Cracked open one of the bottles of *****es brew...wow, the mouthfeel is amazing...very 'fluffy' for such a beer, I like. Don't regret the knee jerk three bottle grab at all...woops! :-)
[Reply]
Jbailey 03:13 PM 08-26-2010
Looking for the Dogfish Head B!tches Brew but wasn't in yet.

So I grabbed some Raison D'extra.
[Reply]
b0rderman 03:57 PM 08-26-2010
ooo, nice...I've never had the extra.
[Reply]
b0rderman 07:38 PM 08-27-2010
two more bottles of b!tches brew for me...now time to get some more cantillon. What'd everyone haul for the weekend?
[Reply]
awsmith4 09:51 PM 08-27-2010
Originally Posted by b0rderman:
two more bottles of b!tches brew for me...now time to get some more cantillon. What'd everyone haul for the weekend?
No pics sorry:

Terrapin Hopzilla
Terrapin Reunion '10
Left Hand/Terrapin Oxymoron
DFH Punkin
Post Road Pumpkin
Stone Imperial Russian Stout '10
[Reply]
b0rderman 11:19 PM 08-27-2010
Punkin out already? Nice haul.
[Reply]
awsmith4 11:33 PM 08-27-2010
Originally Posted by b0rderman:
Punkin out already? Nice haul.
Drinking one right now along with a monster series Tat Boris...is it Halloween?

:-)
[Reply]
Bill86 01:44 AM 08-28-2010
Man how is punkin out in your area and not mine ARG TN ARG! Once its out I'm getting a case, love that stuff. Good pick up on the Russian imperial stout

I picked up
Stone's Emperial IPA 14th anniversary
Abita SoS, got talked into this one we'll see......
[Reply]
Bill86 11:30 PM 08-28-2010
Another haul today
stones double bastard
stones old guardian
dfh sautea
Avery the czar
[Reply]
hornitosmonster 06:42 PM 08-29-2010
picked up

3 bombers of Sculpin IPA
A sixer of Lagunitas A Little Sumpin' Sumpin' Ale