Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 243 of 350
« First < 143193233241242243 244245253293343 > Last »
Health and Fitness>Pumping Iron with Zemekone and Icehog3
BigFrank 02:42 PM 11-01-2010
Originally Posted by DBall:
Quick question... Mondays are the day where I try to max out on bench presses. I started off with the bar x5, 95# x5, 115# x3, 135# x2, tried 150# and failed, tried 135 again and failed. Is it safe to assume that once I fail, I'm pretty much done with benches for the day and I shouldn't try to work my way back down?

I know I can do 135# a few times (I could have done more on my first run, but I wanted to save myself for the 150# attempt).
Dball you shouldn't be trying to max out every week. Most people only max out every 2-6 months. If you are trying to max out, you should spend less time using lighter weights. Maxing out also is extremely fatiguing and wrecks havoc on the central nervous system.

For example, instead of doing what you did. 45x5 - 95x5 - 115x3 - 135x2 then 150. You should have done something like this... 45x5 - 95x3 - 135x1 - 150.

Some people may say different when it comes to working back down it weights. If you are training for strength, this is a HUGE NO-GO. If you are doing something for size than maybe, but I still wouldn't do it. There are many reasons why. The biggest in regards to strength is not only is it mentally fatiguing, but your body remembers the weight you did last, and so does your mind.
In the bodybuilding sense I would avoid it also, often after maxing out or really pushing the limits, there is a degree of strength and technique breakdown. Most lifters will then perform sub-maximal weights with bad form or worse. In essence you will teach yourself into worse form. You are better off hitting your weights, and moving onto something else.
GreekGodX 03:07 PM 11-01-2010
Dan everybody hit on it all ready. Too many warm-up reps. Frank and Pete gave you a great guideline. I'd do bar barx8, 95x3, 115x1, 135x1 then 150. All lifts giving max effort to prepare your CNS(pretty much the same as stated above just my personal preference). And you are definitely doing your body a disservice by trying to max out weekly. You need to build the muscles that facilitate the lift and perfect your form on bench to increase your max.
DBall 03:23 PM 11-01-2010
awesome.. thanks for all the advice... how often should I try to max out and what should I be doing in the interim (now that you all know about where I'm at weight wise in my lifting)?
SilverFox 04:26 PM 11-01-2010
Well today was my check in day and I have to say I am pretty damn happy.

So at my last check in I was 228lbs and 18% body fat......representing about 187 lbs of lean mass

Fast forward to today 4 weeks later and I am 243.4lbs and 19.1% body fat.....representing about 197 lbs of lean mass.

I put on 10lbs of muscle and 5.4lbs of fat in 4 weeks, almost a 2 to 1 ratio which is AWESOME I am stoked, I surpassed my own goals and the expectations of my trainer.

Hitting it hard and eating right seems to have paid off dividends.

Now I am going to drop 1200 cal a day and keep up the lifting regimen and drop 10lbs of fat without losing any of that muscle (or at least that is the intent)

10 and 10 from here on in till I hit my goal............so drop 10 in fat then go hard and add 10 lbs (hoping for at least a 1 to 1 lean mass to fat gain ratio) then lose 10 of fat and repeat until I am around 240lbs and 12% I figure between 4 to 6 months and I should be right were I want to be............then I will just change my goals :-)
bonjing 06:22 PM 11-01-2010
Had a good week last week.

Monday, Nice solid chest work out that made me sore for a while
Wed, bi's and tri's
Thurs, shoulders and a little chest
With 15min on the treadmill thrown in for a warm up
Tonight will be chest again and maybe some type of arms thrown in.

What's the ideal break time between sets?
BigFrank 07:09 PM 11-01-2010
awesome.. thanks for all the advice... how often should I try to max out and what should I be doing in the interim (now that you all know about where I'm at weight wise in my lifting)?
Once every 2-4 months depending on how your training is set up. A max isnt something you should just walk into the Gym and decide you are going to do that day. Your training should build up to it.

Also, you have to decide if you are training specifically for strength, fat loss or for size / muscle gain. Granted, with strength gains does come some size gains, and vice verse. But in the game of weight lifting / exercise it is very hard to serve more than one master. Most lifters / gym rats can get away with playing to many masters within the first few month of training. What I mean here is, you first get in the Gym your body responds well, you get stronger, some muscle starts coming along, and body fat also drops. But after the first few months, this usually comes to a grinding halt. Many people make the mistake of trying to do everything without really accomplishing anything. I know it's hard without having someone teach you how to lift properly, eat properly, and condition properly. But there are many online databases that can get you off on the right foot.

So I guess my point really is. Figure out where you want to be this time next year...Do you want to be Dball +30 pounds? Dball who benches 200lbs? After you come to consideration with that, it's much much easier to lay a game plan out and get to what really matters, putting in the work.

-Training for me tonight. Worked on some Squat form issues. Problem with my groin is acting up again. Heavy sumo pulls. Some BS, then treadmill.
DBall 08:40 PM 11-01-2010
Originally Posted by BigFrank:

So I guess my point really is. Figure out where you want to be this time next year...Do you want to be Dball +30 pounds? Dball who benches 200lbs? After you come to consideration with that, it's much much easier to lay a game plan out and get to what really matters, putting in the work.
Lets say DBall who benches 200lbs. I don't need to lose or gain any weight (not that I'll be broken up if I do, but I'm happy where I am)
PeteSB75 05:49 AM 11-02-2010
Lets say DBall who benches 200lbs. I don't need to lose or gain any weight (not that I'll be broken up if I do, but I'm happy where I am)
If you are looking for strength gains, you are going to want lower reps, higher weight. for strength, I generally work in 5 rep sets at about 80-85% of my 1RM, and I do three sets at that weight. So, if 150 is your 1RM, then you should be doing 5 rep sets at 120 or 125.

If that starts to seem to easy, increase the weight. If you are unsure about that weight, get a spotter, but also try upping the weight with each of the three sets, so instead of 125x5/125x5/125x5, do 120x5/125x5/130x5. But get a spotter any time you are trying a new weight/rep combo.

You will also want to vary intensity. If you are doing full body workouts, you can do it by day, but otherwise by week, do heavy, light, and medium workouts, where heavy is 80/85% 1RM, med is 70/75% 1RM and light is 60/65% 1RM. If you do this for a few months and want more of a challenge, change the med week to a heavy week and do heavy/light/heavy/light. Don't drop the light week though. It helps solidify good form, increases blood flow to the muscles you are working, and promotes good recovery.

Chest/arm volume work for me this morning. Flat bench, incline bench, supinating curls, and dips.
GreekGodX 10:37 AM 11-03-2010
So after 5 days rest for the shoulder I hit the gym Monday and this morning. Feels great :-) I've avoided any pressing movements and pull ups but I've been able to do everything else pain free. So I think Saturday I'll attempt some pullups and then a few days after some presses.

Hit legs on Monday and Back this morning. With some abs thrown in as well.
BigFrank 11:27 AM 11-03-2010
Originally Posted by GreekGodX:
So after 5 days rest for the shoulder I hit the gym Monday and this morning. Feels great :-) I've avoided any pressing movements and pull ups but I've been able to do everything else pain free. So I think Saturday I'll attempt some pullups and then a few days after some presses.

Hit legs on Monday and Back this morning. With some abs thrown in as well.
Where exactly is the injury Christos? One of our members is currently going through a partial rear delt tear. He still can bench press off of 3-4-boards and do some minor overheard lifting.
SilverFox 10:36 PM 11-03-2010
Bi's and Tris today all supersets, been finding some good strength gains over the past 6 weeks. In a cutting phase now but going to do it gradually

4 sets of each between 8 and 10 reps ( I usually up my weight after I can hit +10 in a full set)

DB Seated Curls
Decline Skull Crushers

DB Hammer Curls
OH Tri Press

Reverse DB Flys
Military Press DB

Chinups
Tri Bench Dips
GreekGodX 04:39 AM 11-04-2010
Where exactly is the injury Christos? One of our members is currently going through a partial rear delt tear. He still can bench press off of 3-4-boards and do some minor overheard lifting.
Well it feels like it is inside my shoulder if that makes any sense. Pretty much where my arm meets my shoulder straight down in there. Anything overhead hurts or if I reach back (ex. Reaching for my wallet in my back pocket). I imagine I could probably bench off boards. I did limited ROM lat pulldowns (to my forehead) and it was pain free.

I was reading an article the other day that said even with shoulder pain you should just limit your presses to military and bench. Then just focus on other lifts and shoulder rehab. I kinda just shook my head and laughed. I figure if there is a "bad pain" I shouldn't be doing that anymore until the pain is gone. Maybe I just am too logical.
Secret Santa 05:15 AM 11-04-2010
Santa did some squat thrusts this morning before taking a run with the elves.

I need a beer.
icehog3 07:55 AM 11-04-2010
Originally Posted by Secret Santa:
Santa did some squat thrusts this morning
Thanks for putting that mental image in my head first thing in the morning. :-)

Off to row.
SilverFox 08:12 AM 11-04-2010
Santa did some squat thrusts this morning before taking a run at the elves.

I need a beer.
fixed it for ya Santa
BigFrank 03:59 PM 11-04-2010
Santa is the ultimate powerlifter. Not only is he fat, but he wears a huge belt which is perfect for squatting. Loves fat guy food, cookies and milk. And be the looks of it, his blood pressure is through the roof due to a lot of test.
icehog3 04:46 PM 11-04-2010
Santa is the ultimate powerlifter. Not only is he fat, but he wears a huge belt which is perfect for squatting. Loves fat guy food, cookies and milk. And be the looks of it, his blood pressure is through the roof due to a lot of test.
Or gingerbread. :-)

Did moderate weight Bent Over Rows today....225 lbs for as many reps as I could get, cutting my rest by 10 seconds after every set until between the last 2 sets I only had time to reset my grip. Just killed my lats.

Followed this up with some heavy cable rows and finally some bodyweight pullups, but I didn't need much more. Must have done over 200 reps of the BORs.
Secret Santa 06:01 PM 11-04-2010
Originally Posted by SilverFox:
fixed it for ya Santa
That was supposed to stay between you, me and that transgendered elf we shared, Mr. Fox. Maybe you want to sign up to play in the Secret Santa pass and get some real chuckles.
SilverFox 08:04 PM 11-04-2010
That was supposed to stay between you, me and that transgendered elf we shared, Mr. Fox. Maybe you want to sign up to play in the Secret Santa pass and get some real chuckles.
I would Santa but I thought us Canucks were banned from the SS pass
Patrick B 10:56 PM 11-04-2010
Bought some Jack3d tonight as I'm about out of the GNC Pump Fuel. Decided to take it before work tonight and see how it made me feel. I am getting **** done at a record pace. I think I like it. Can't wait to work out on it tomorrow.
Page 243 of 350
« First < 143193233241242243 244245253293343 > Last »
Up