Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 24 of 38
« First < 14222324 252634 > Last »
Coffee Discussion>What are you roasting today?
Chainsaw13 11:22 AM 03-23-2012
Never heard of them Shane, but then I'm still just getting into this craft.

Going to a local farmers market tomorrow morning. Germack nut company has their new store up and running and has a section dedicated to just coffee. I heard they have green coffee too. Gonna check it out.
[Reply]
BSB 07:30 AM 03-25-2012
Colombia Tolima - Einar Ortiz Microlot, with just about 30gr. of Felix Guzman micro, to fill it out. I was just that much short. One is lemony, the other very sweet. Looking forward to cupping on Tues.
[Reply]
forgop 07:10 PM 03-31-2012
Has anyone ever re-roasted as in a batch was lighter than you desired and wanted to go darker after tasting how it turned out?
[Reply]
CigarSquid 07:27 PM 03-31-2012
Originally Posted by forgop:
Has anyone ever re-roasted as in a batch was lighter than you desired and wanted to go darker after tasting how it turned out?
I asked the same thing about... ehh.. Couple months back. No. I was told you can't and shouldn't do it.

I went with what was answered and didn't. If you have time, There are better reason in the back pages and to why. I asked in this thread.. Not sure what page or even close.
[Reply]
ashtonlady 08:58 PM 03-31-2012
This is a good answer with a good reason.
Hope this helps.

http://www.cheftalk.com/t/59866/re-r...can-it-be-done
[Reply]
Blak Smyth 11:10 AM 04-02-2012
I placed a sampler order from Theta Ridge today, I will keep everybody posted as to how it goes. Their prices are much, much less than SM. I intend to find a good sample and purchase a 10lb order of it.

A couple answers from Ashtonladies link:

"Once coffee beans have cooked and cooled, they can't be cooked more. Roasting temperature profiles and sequences make a big difference in how the coffee ultimately tastes. Sorry."

"I've read at COFFEEGEEK.COM that it's a method practised regularly by the Swiss and it gives the coffee a different character."

"No, you cannot roast beans a second time and expect the oils to be their best. If oil is on the surface of the bean, i would assume a scorching effect. Never done it though; so I'm just assuming.

"What I would do is put the beans away for a week; this should make the coffee a little bit stronger. I would also use a french press then too- much better flavor intensity."
[Reply]
Chainsaw13 11:47 AM 04-02-2012
Shane, did you email them for prices? I was just looking on the site and didn't see any listed.
[Reply]
Blak Smyth 12:47 PM 04-02-2012
Originally Posted by Chainsaw13:
Shane, did you email them for prices? I was just looking on the site and didn't see any listed.
Yah, if you e-mail them they send you an up to date price sheet.
[Reply]
CigarSquid 01:25 PM 04-02-2012
Originally Posted by Blak Smyth:
I placed a sampler order from Theta Ridge today, I will keep everybody posted as to how it goes. Their prices are much, much less than SM. I intend to find a good sample and purchase a 10lb order of it.
Very curious how they are.. I still need to place a sampler order with SM.
[Reply]
Blak Smyth 01:39 PM 04-02-2012
Originally Posted by garryyjr:
Very curious how they are.. I still need to place a sampler order with SM.
My friend that got me first into drinking home roasted coffee uses them and buys 75lb bags. He raves about the company.
[Reply]
BSB 01:56 PM 04-02-2012
Brazil Fazenda Santa Mariana to just FC.
[Reply]
Blak Smyth 02:02 PM 04-02-2012
Originally Posted by BSB:
Brazil Fazenda Santa Mariana to just FC.
That sounds nice, how was it?
[Reply]
BSB 07:30 AM 04-03-2012
Originally Posted by Blak Smyth:
That sounds nice, how was it?
Cupping tomorrow. It roasted real pretty :-)
[Reply]
Chainsaw13 04:51 PM 04-03-2012
Did a couple batches today. Some SM's Liquid Amber Espresso blend and they're Sumatra Lintong Tano Batak.

The odd thing about my first batch of the Sumatra, I didn't get a first crack. One loud pop around the 3:45 mark, but nothing after. Took it to what I'm guessing was city ++, maybe even FC. Did another batch and got the normal cracking for a period of time. Strange.
[Reply]
Garbandz 02:59 PM 04-05-2012
http://www.thetaridgecoffee.com/ I got their price list,there is a surcharge if you buy less than a bag full. $.45 /lb on 10 lb and up,$.65 /lb under 10 lb.
That said,there is a shipping charge to consider.
I would like to try several of their beans,some new items on me...........
[Reply]
Blak Smyth 04:20 PM 04-05-2012
Originally Posted by Garbandz:
http://www.thetaridgecoffee.com/ I got their price list,there is a surcharge if you buy less than a bag full. $.45 /lb on 10 lb and up,$.65 /lb under 10 lb.
That said,there is a shipping charge to consider.
I would like to try several of their beans,some new items on me...........
Well they just sent me a sampler of 4 different beans for free.
[Reply]
novasurf 06:44 PM 04-05-2012
Roasting:

Kenya AA Oaklands
Harrar G4
Sumatra Lintong
Taina and Negrita

ThetaRidge is top shelf. They buy exclusively from a vendor I use in NYC.
[Reply]
forgop 07:38 PM 04-05-2012
I just roasted a pound of the Ethopia Illubaor-Camp Cooperative from SM's.

I sure as hell don't understand any of this full city to FC+, but I sure as hell know I roasted it darker than my last roast.
[Reply]
forgop 06:31 AM 04-06-2012
I just roasted a pound of the Ethopia Illubaor-Camp Cooperative from SM's.

I sure as hell don't understand any of this full city to FC+, but I sure as hell know I roasted it darker than my last roast.
I don't know what the roast would come out to be as I roasted the whole pound for 6-1/2 to 7 minutes in my "official" SM's recommended West Bend Poppery II, but the Ethopian stuff I roasted last night and drinking this morning is AWESOME!!!
[Reply]
Blak Smyth 06:37 AM 04-06-2012
I roasted the Dettera Bourbon last night, it smells amazing!
If it tastes anything like it smells, this may be my first 10lb order!
[Reply]
Page 24 of 38
« First < 14222324 252634 > Last »
Up