Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 24 of 32
« First < 14222324 2526 > Last »
General Discussion>Gardeners in the Asylum
gravel 08:25 PM 03-27-2014
My wife started planting some stuff last week in our square foot gardens , but I haven't a clue what she planted. I'm usually more involved.
[Reply]
hammondc 08:52 AM 03-29-2014
Well, my plan to build some raised boxes today went to hell with the weather. Dammit.
[Reply]
Steve 09:17 AM 03-29-2014
Same here. I'm just hoping ours doesn't float away...
[Reply]
Chainsaw13 11:16 AM 03-29-2014
I'm waiting on Menards to ship some corrugated metal sheets before I rebuild my beds.
[Reply]
hammondc 08:15 AM 04-03-2014
Got the beds set up and filled. Where do you guys get your plants/seeds? Any difference between big box stores and a local place?
[Reply]
Chainsaw13 10:26 AM 04-03-2014
Originally Posted by hammondc:
Got the beds set up and filled. Where do you guys get your plants/seeds? Any difference between big box stores and a local place?
Probably not. Most local places carry Burpee seeds or the like. Friend of mine recommended rareseeds.com if you're looking for older, heirloom varieties.
[Reply]
Steve 10:40 AM 04-03-2014
Originally Posted by hammondc:
Depends on if you are looking at Hybrid/GMO seeds or heirloom/non-GMO. Most of the local places around us, including the BBSs have hybrids and GMO'd seeds. We found a couple of small shops that have heirloom/non-GMO and have ordered from SeedsNow.com. Due to Holly's medical situation, we decided to go with as much non-GMO as possible and are sticking to organic.

YMMV :-).
[Reply]
shilala 11:04 AM 04-03-2014
I gathered up all our seeds and soil and have had a date with Miss Weeze all week to plant, but we just can't seem to get it done.
I can skate for another week, but we really need to get them in by this weekend. I still need to go pick up some herb seeds, too.
[Reply]
shilala 11:07 AM 04-03-2014
Originally Posted by Chainsaw13:
Probably not. Most local places carry Burpee seeds or the like. Friend of mine recommended rareseeds.com if you're looking for older, heirloom varieties.
Jamie (jjirons) saves seed from a gazillion heirloom varieties. I do, too. I have a five gallon bucket of saved seed in the basement. If you guys are looking for anything in particular, just let me know and I'll drop some seeds in an envelope for ya.
If any of you guys want to grow some tobacco, just drop me a pm with your address and I'll send you some seeds asap. :-)
[Reply]
Steve 11:18 AM 04-03-2014
Originally Posted by shilala:
Jamie (jjirons) saves seed from a gazillion heirloom varieties. I do, too. I have a five gallon bucket of saved seed in the basement. If you guys are looking for anything in particular, just let me know and I'll drop some seeds in an envelope for ya.
If any of you guys want to grow some tobacco, just drop me a pm with your address and I'll send you some seeds asap. :-)
Scary thought...:-)

:-)

Maybe I'm just gun shy... :-)
[Reply]
Steve 08:38 AM 04-04-2014
First fruit of the season!

[Reply]
shilala 07:46 AM 04-05-2014
Geeze. It'll be July before we get a tomato. I don't count green ones, though. Rookie!!! :-)
[Reply]
Steve 01:06 PM 04-05-2014
Geeze. It'll be July before we get a tomato. I don't count green ones, though. Rookie!!! :-)
:-)

It'll be red before long...
[Reply]
357 10:22 AM 04-07-2014
Trying to root some apple tree cuttings so I can clone my favorite trees. Anyone ever use rooting powder?
[Reply]
8zeros 10:27 AM 04-07-2014
Originally Posted by 357:
Trying to root some apple tree cuttings so I can clone my favorite trees. Anyone ever use rooting powder?
Cuttings are usually grafted. I've rooted some before but they died later from something.
Have to add that I didn't have too good of luck grafting either.
[Reply]
357 10:48 AM 04-07-2014
Originally Posted by 8zeros:
Cuttings are usually grafted. I've rooted some before but they died later from something.
Have to add that I didn't have too good of luck grafting either.
I figure I have nothing to lose. I trimmed some larger branches that were shading the middle or too vertical, and used water sprouts/suckers off the downed limbs. I'm probably going to be moving this summer and I want to take all three varieties with me. I have a Jonathan, Macintosh, and a Golden Delicious in my yard now.

I do want to try my hand at grafting too. I was going to wait a bit longer to give it a try. The snow here just finally melted so I'm just getting things moving.
[Reply]
Django 07:58 AM 04-09-2014
And which tobacco variety would that be? :-)
[Reply]
shilala 11:16 AM 04-10-2014
Cuttings are actually grafted on rootstock that's bred for specific areas.
What generally happens is that the roots from the grafted cultivar aren't strong enough, can't withstand the moisture, soil makeup, climate, etc.
It's much akin to trying to introduce a Largemouth Bass to the Atlantic Ocean.

What you CAN get away with, Mikey, is to graft your branch onto pretty much any kind of apple tree you already have growing. You can graft any number of species onto the same tree. The most I ever had was five types of apples on one tree.

Here's another thing...
Your apple trees you see grafted on root stock aren't normally grafted onto apple rootstock. In my area back home we used sickle pear rootstock because it was a wild rootstock that thrived in that area. Those trees grew anywhere, but were worthless for root production.

So there's a lot of things you can do that'll work, Mikey. You just picked the one thing that's doomed. :-)
Ya know, if you can grow that thing out in a container with perfect soil and water, and the roots don't freeze and die this winter, you could take all kinds of grafts off it and put on other established trees.

I have a book here somewhere, if I can find it I'll give you a holler. :-)
[Reply]
shilala 11:17 AM 04-10-2014
Originally Posted by Django:
And which tobacco variety would that be? :-)
I have Perique, Havanah 2000, San Andreas MX, and my own open-pollinated variety that comes from those 3 strains.
[Reply]
shilala 11:18 AM 04-10-2014
Last, but not least...
Steve!!! Tomato update!!! :-)
[Reply]
Page 24 of 32
« First < 14222324 2526 > Last »
Up