Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 23 of 32
« First < 13212223 2425 > Last »
General Discussion>Gardeners in the Asylum
SvilleKid 10:41 AM 03-17-2014
Originally Posted by 357:
What did you plow your garden with? What kind of equip?
I have an older 27 hp Kubota tractor, use a four-foot, 12 blade disc I turn it with. I generally turn it under several times over several days. Before I phantom, I have a small tiller made by Echo that looks exactly like the Mantas tillers. Othewise, I use a hoe, garden rake and a four-tine garden rake. Wish I had a tiller attachment for the tractor. But too costly for once a year use. Most of work after the initial plowing is by hand. I leave rues far enough apart I can use the Echo to keep weeds at bay.
[Reply]
357 11:35 AM 03-17-2014
Originally Posted by SvilleKid:
I have an older 27 hp Kubota tractor, use a four-foot, 12 blade disc I turn it with. I generally turn it under several times over several days. Before I phantom, I have a small tiller made by Echo that looks exactly like the Mantas tillers. Othewise, I use a hoe, garden rake and a four-tine garden rake. Wish I had a tiller attachment for the tractor. But too costly for once a year use. Most of work after the initial plowing is by hand. I leave rues far enough apart I can use the Echo to keep weeds at bay.
I have a Craftsman garden tractor I was thinking of getting a single bottom plow, discs, and possibly a rake for. I don't have a sleeve hitch but it's designed to accept one. I can probably get at least the plow and discs for $200-300 used and another $100-150 for the sleeve hitch. I know they don't compare to a CUT or SCUT level tractor but I'd really like to give it a shot. I've seen videos and talked to others online who've done up to an acre size garden with a setup like mine.
[Reply]
jjirons69 06:45 AM 03-19-2014
Still WAY too wet in our part of the South to even think about gardening. Feast or famine when it comes to rain over the past couple of years.
[Reply]
Steve 07:00 AM 03-19-2014
Yea, we had two nice days of sunshine and warmth after I planted ours, followed by going on three days of rain...argh!
[Reply]
shilala 08:02 AM 03-19-2014
Cliff, if you had a tiller for that tractor you'd use it every day. Your yard would look like the surface of the moon. They are THAT much fun.
[Reply]
SvilleKid 08:44 PM 03-19-2014
Originally Posted by shilala:
Cliff, if you had a tiller for that tractor you'd use it every day. Your yard would look like the surface of the moon. They are THAT much fun.
I've got six acres....... So probably not JUST the yard!!!:-):-)
[Reply]
Steve 07:01 AM 03-20-2014
Well, I must have done something right. I have lettuce starting to sprout on two rows. I'm surprised they didn't drown with all the rain we had the last two days!
[Reply]
jjirons69 07:04 PM 03-20-2014
Water lettuce :-)
[Reply]
Steve 09:34 PM 03-20-2014
Originally Posted by jjirons69:
Water lettuce :-)
:-):-):-)
[Reply]
hammondc 07:22 AM 03-21-2014
Doing my first garden in a long while this year.
[Reply]
357 08:05 AM 03-21-2014
Originally Posted by shilala:
This little diesel GT is for sale in my small town.

http://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/grd/4384212200.html

VERY tempting but cash is tight.
[Reply]
SvilleKid 07:10 PM 03-21-2014
Originally Posted by 357:
This little diesel GT is for sale in my small town.

http://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/grd/4384212200.html

VERY tempting but cash is tight.
Mine's actually a little bigger. Basically this one, with a different set of turf tires.
Attached: KubotaL275.jpg (60.0 KB) 
[Reply]
Chainsaw13 09:25 PM 03-21-2014
Looked in in my garden yesterday. I saw about 6 of the 30+ garlic bulbs, sprouting out of the ground. Let's hope this years harvest is better than last.

Tomorrow I'm going to transplant some of my seedlings into bigger pots. My tomato plants already have their second set of leaves, but the stems are spindly.

Was also thinking if the suns out, heading to Lowes for some cedar boards. Need to redo some of my planting beds.
[Reply]
azar 08:40 AM 03-22-2014
Originally Posted by Chainsaw13:
Looked in in my garden yesterday. I saw about 6 of the 30+ garlic bulbs, sprouting out of the ground. Let's hope this years harvest is better than last.

Tomorrow I'm going to transplant some of my seedlings into bigger pots. My tomato plants already have their second set of leaves, but the stems are spindly.

Was also thinking if the suns out, heading to Lowes for some cedar boards. Need to redo some of my planting beds.
Wow you have sprouts already! My garden as of right now is frozen! Can not wait I a new Craftsman tiller waiting to go to work. Bought on clearance last year. Its a small front tine 24" can't wait to break him out.
[Reply]
Django 04:56 PM 03-22-2014
Originally Posted by azar:
Wow you have sprouts already! My garden as of right now is frozen! ...
All my garlic and shallots (see some on the left side) have sprouted here already a while back. They are mostly quite early varieties though
[Reply]
Chainsaw13 05:07 PM 03-22-2014
I went and checked again today, I counted 12 sprouts popping out of the ground. So a few more in just a couple days. We've had slightly higher temps and a lot more sun, which is thawing out my planting beds.
[Reply]
Chainsaw13 05:08 PM 03-22-2014
Looking good Django.
[Reply]
azar 07:23 PM 03-22-2014
Looks like a good start for the year!
[Reply]
SvilleKid 03:14 PM 03-23-2014
Been finding these in garden since last rain. Have at least two, maybe as many as four that must be walking thru. NOT a promising find considering the seed crops I'll be planting in a week. Haven't had a fence around it before, but may need one this year if the deer discover it.

[Reply]
Steve 08:19 PM 03-27-2014
Well, the meat getter hasn't managed to kill the green stuff yet.

Looks like I'lll be spending some time this weekend weeding it though.
[Reply]
Page 23 of 32
« First < 13212223 2425 > Last »
Up