Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 23 of 69
« First < 13212223 242533 > Last »
Discussion>Latest Pipe-Related Purchase Thread
688sonarmen 02:01 PM 10-06-2012
First off I am blown away at the presentation and packaging of this purchase. After reading about the Boswells and seeing they are a family run business here in the USA I was hooked. I asked Jennifer over the phone for this pipe and some non aromatic Virgina to go along and they sent an extra ounce of Dan's bend plus pipe cleaners plus a pipe tool wrapped in pipe cleaners plus matches and a hand signed pouch for my pipe

The Boswell is really beautiful and I do not own a camera that does it justice. The stem is not black like it looks in the pics but a very dark brown with light brown streaks running through it.
[Reply]
Steve 02:27 PM 10-06-2012
That is Beautiful!
[Reply]
MarkinAZ 04:12 PM 10-06-2012
THAT, is a beautiful looking pipe you have there Jake! The Boswells are simply a spot-on family. I've always had a positive interface everytime that I've called their store.

Your pipe is the deep fluted freehand (pic #3) under their "pipes for sale." The bowl must feel just right in your hand.

I rec'vd the same 3 in 1 pipe tool as well. Its quite a versitile tool. I guess I was so excited when my poker arrived that I didn't even notice the signature on the pipe bag that it arrived in. I had to go back in the bedroom and check it out, and there was the signature. Cool stuff! I think its the simple stuff like their customer service and quality product that keeps me coming back.

That Dan's Blend is some good baccy too. Beautiful pipe Jake and hope you get many years of enjoyment from it:-)
[Reply]
688sonarmen 04:17 PM 10-06-2012
Thanks Mark, your purchase showed me the light that I don't have to pay 600+$ (I never would) for a great made in the USA pipe:-)

Originally Posted by MarkinCA:
THAT, is a beautiful looking pipe you have there Jake! The Boswells are simply a spot-on family. I've always had a positive interface everytime that I've called their store.

Your pipe is the deep fluted freehand (pic #3) under their "pipes for sale." The bowl must feel just right in your hand.

I rec'vd the same 3 in 1 pipe tool as well. Its quite a versitile tool. I guess I was so excited when my poker arrived that I didn't even notice the signature on the pipe bag that it arrived in. I had to go back in the bedroom and check it out, and there was the signature. Cool stuff! I think its the simple stuff like their customer service and quality product that keeps me coming back.

That Dan's Blend is some good baccy too. Beautiful pipe Jake and hope you get many years of enjoyment from it:-)

[Reply]
MarkinAZ 04:29 PM 10-06-2012
Originally Posted by 688sonarmen:
Thanks Mark, your purchase showed me the light that I don't have to pay 600+$ (I never would) for a great made in the USA pipe:-)
...from one squid to another then:-)
[Reply]
Steve 04:59 PM 10-06-2012
I was looking thru thier website earlier...some sweet pipes! I really liked some of the Fishing Vest Pipes. I almost hate to ask them for a price :-)
[Reply]
MarkinAZ 07:31 PM 10-06-2012
Originally Posted by steve:
I was looking thru thier website earlier...some sweet pipes! I really liked some of the Fishing Vest Pipes. I almost hate to ask them for a price :-)
Go ahead and shoot Gail an email saying you perused the Fishing Vest pipes, and was wondering if Dan or Jim are still making them, and if so, what would be a price range nowaday.

She's great and it doesn't cost you a thing (for now that is:-))...
[Reply]
Steve 07:37 PM 10-06-2012
Originally Posted by MarkinCA:
Go ahead and shoot Gail an email saying you perused the Fishing Vest pipes, and was wondering if Dan or Jim are still making them, and if so, what would be a price range nowaday.

She's great and it doesn't cost you a thing (for now that is:-))...
This is what scares me :-)
[Reply]
Steve 07:57 PM 10-06-2012
Not to derail, but how are thier tabacco blends? The Hunters and Majestic 586 sound good.
[Reply]
TheTraveler 10:33 AM 10-07-2012
Wow, your timing on that last post was perfect. My dad and I are thinking of getting pipes for Christmas. Those Boswell's are beautiful AND made in the U.S.A. :-) Thank you, check one item off the list a little early! :-)
[Reply]
ChicagoWhiteSox 11:07 AM 10-07-2012
Some C&D tins

[Reply]
DaBear 07:06 PM 10-07-2012
Always funny how being in the mood for a pipe comes and goes with the season. Had a couple days of cooler weather 2 weeks ago and thought to myself a warm briar in hand would be nice. Then it warmed up and I forgot about that thought until today, when we didn't even crack 60 and was beginning to think more about what my first bowl in a few months will be. Then I see this thread, and now I'm debating on calling up Boswells to see if they have any new churchwardens being made. :-)
[Reply]
MarkinAZ 08:28 PM 10-07-2012
Boswells had a couple of Churchwardens up for sale last week on their web page:

Both are very nice looking pipes, and the bowl heights on each are just a smidge over 2" each...
[Reply]
Commander Quan 11:44 AM 10-08-2012
If you ever get the chance to stop into Boswell's shop it is absolutely worth it. I went out of my way to stop in on a trip across PA, smoked a couple bowls of JM's complementary tobacco bought 2 pipes, and even had some custom work done on one of the pipes while I waited.

There were probably 80 pipes for sale in the store, and the prices were better than what is listed on the internet, and still included all the extras.

If your interested in a churchwarden I had Dan make one for one of the pipes I was buying so it's convertible.

[Reply]
Blak Smyth 12:24 PM 10-08-2012
Originally Posted by Commander Quan:

That thing is gorgeous!
[Reply]
688sonarmen 12:36 PM 10-08-2012
You have fine taste in Pipes and tobacco Derrick :-)
[Reply]
Commander Quan 12:52 PM 10-08-2012
Thanks. I thought I had posted these before, but maybe not. I'm glad that I bought the extra stem. I'd wanted a churchwarden, but didn't want to be completely committed to only having the long stem. I had thought about having a churchwarden stem made for my Green 999 Spigot, but when this opportunity presented it's self it was too good to pass up. Boswell's does not hand cut their churchwarden stems, but instead use and modify pre fab stems. This keeps the cost low, but if that's not what you are looking for you may want to pass. The only difference it really makes it that the stem is very thin, which makes it light, but also if you try to clench it can be pretty unsteady.
[Reply]
DaBear 01:39 PM 10-08-2012
Originally Posted by Commander Quan:
Thanks. I thought I had posted these before, but maybe not. I'm glad that I bought the extra stem. I'd wanted a churchwarden, but didn't want to be completely committed to only having the long stem. I had thought about having a churchwarden stem made for my Green 999 Spigot, but when this opportunity presented it's self it was too good to pass up. Boswell's does not hand cut their churchwarden stems, but instead use and modify pre fab stems. This keeps the cost low, but if that's not what you are looking for you may want to pass. The only difference it really makes it that the stem is very thin, which makes it light, but also if you try to clench it can be pretty unsteady.
Ah, that can be a deal breaker for me. I clench for about 90% of each bowl I smoke, so if it doesn't hang right I end up smoking the pipe significantly less
[Reply]
Commander Quan 02:05 PM 10-08-2012
If that's the case, you probably won't be happy with any churchwarden unless it's something with almost a full bend that you can let hang from your mouth. There's just too much leverage placed on the jaw to be comfortable otherwise.

I'm a clencher as well, which was my primary reason for not wanting a standalone churchwarden. The Hans Christian Anderson line is another option for a pipe with 2 stems.
[Reply]
688sonarmen 06:33 PM 10-08-2012
About 1 1/2 months into pipes and I'm pretty sure I have enough for a cellar:-)

This came today

This over a few weeks not counting the stuff that's in jars.

[Reply]
Page 23 of 69
« First < 13212223 242533 > Last »
Up