Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 229 of 352
« First < 129179219227228229 230231239279329 > Last »
General Discussion>First Firearm Thread.
emopunker2004 09:35 PM 01-23-2013
Originally Posted by Blueface:
While I have two ARs, aside from shooting them, my knowledge is limited to the breakdown for cleaning.
I am curious as to what it takes to build one and why so many go that route v. buying one from a major manufacturer. Some of the prices on parts I see seem to add up to more than one already built.
What exactly is the list of parts one would need aside from an upper, lower and lower parts kit?
1) because it's easy
2) it'll give you a better knowledge of your AR and how to repair it without a gun smith.

AR15 build guide: http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_4/226782_.html
emopunker2004 09:36 PM 01-23-2013
Originally Posted by garryyjr:
What are your guys thought on carry, concealed at a friends house? Wither they are pro guns, semi gun pro or anti guns?
It's their property and in that respect you should ask them. That said, concealed is concealed...
spectrrr 10:05 PM 01-23-2013
What are your guys thought on carry, concealed at a friends house? Wither they are pro guns, semi gun pro or anti guns?
Always an interesting question. I think it comes down to the people.

Sometimes, you know the guy, you know his stance clear as day. If you know he carries in his house, odds are you can too. Unless you're an irresponsible ****, then he's not going to want you and a gun anywhere near his family :-)

If you know they're very anti-gun, odds are you need new friends, err, I mean, you should respect their rights in their own home and not carry.

For the inbetween'ers... it's a judgement call. Some I would ask and respect their answer. For some, well, it's CONCEALED carry, and I carry mine DEEP, and I'm not there for drinking... so I won't ask. But if I think there's any chance they would be offended, I'll ask, or just leave it in the car.

Sometimes, you see a very different dynamic in families. I've seen a number of pro-gun husbands and gun-neutral wives, where the wife accepts and TRUSTS her husband's use of a firearm, but would not be so likely to trust anyone else in her home with a gun, regardless of whether she knows you or not. And if she's got children running around, that sentiment only gets stronger.
(My fiance is anti-gun, and this is most likely the stance she will take in our house as well - trusting ME with a gun is grudgingly accepted, and is a very different thing than trusting someone else with one.)
spectrrr 10:07 PM 01-23-2013
Originally Posted by emopunker2004:
1) because it's easy
2) it'll give you a better knowledge of your AR and how to repair it without a gun smith.

AR15 build guide: http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_4/226782_.html
And if you want your hand held even more, this has pretty good reviews. Currently sold out, saw it run through on slickguns a week or two back.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o07_s01_i00
spectrrr 10:11 PM 01-23-2013
Midway has genuine Glock 17 mags in stock for $25 (NOT the korean ones)
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/538...-polymer-black
ambientboy 12:22 AM 01-24-2013
I think it depends on what their stance and comfort levels are. I mean, concealed is concealed. When I CC, no one knows it's on me unless I WANT them to know. If my Glock 30SF is in my CompTac IWB, no one knows unless they brush up against it. That being said, I work in two industries in which personal space is just a myth, so every now and again I'll get a hug or a smack or something and they're like "Are you packin today?" "Yup" and then we move on.

But I'd say, if you go somewhere that you know is going to be a pain in the ass to have it lodged somewhere uncomfortable (i.e. IWB during a Superbowl party) I'd say either leave it in your car, or ask if you can stash it somewhere.

When I go to my friend Mel's house, I walk in, say hi, give her a hug, then pull out whichever piece I'm carrying, drop the mag, pop the chambered round, cycle the action, and stash the mag/piece/+1 round in the end table drawer all before going in and saying hello to her sister and their roomy. But they're from Texas where these things are normal...and because I knew they were pro-carry, I had a conversation with them about it. I also don't mind leaving it in the table drawer because they're each a decent shot and could handle whatever I bring over.
big pete 12:44 PM 01-24-2013
Originally Posted by :
Spikes tactical 9MM upper receiver with Daniel Defense AR Lite Rail 9.0
Complete with BCG, Spikes Tactical enhanced 9mm maxwell block and ST-T2 heavy buffer, latter covers. aprox 200 round count.
Would $900 seem way too pricey for this setup?
bonjing 01:51 PM 01-24-2013
Figure the break down is

$500-600 for the upper alone
$200ish for the DD rails
$100 for the mag block
and maybe about $100 for the rest of the stuff
not a bad deal
big pete 02:19 PM 01-24-2013
That's what I thought. Is it missing anything other than mags?
bonjing 04:40 PM 01-24-2013
not sure but you may need a 9mm hammer. What pattern mag is the spikes? does it come with buffer spring?
big pete 04:52 PM 01-24-2013
I believe it uses Uzi mags. For the buffer spring, I thought the normal AR .223 spring will work with the kits as long as you're using a 9mm buffer
bonjing 05:49 PM 01-24-2013
yup standard buffer spring should be ok. I use the wolff XP power in mines because I load my stuff hot.
Chainsaw13 05:53 PM 01-24-2013
Originally Posted by spectrrr:
Midway has genuine Glock 17 mags in stock for $25 (NOT the korean ones)
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/538...-polymer-black
I saw that last night too and picked up 2 for my 22.
big pete 06:02 PM 01-24-2013
Originally Posted by bonjing:
load my stuff hot.
TMI
Robulous78 06:26 PM 01-24-2013
Ok Firearm guys...

I want my very own AR-15... but I am a broke a$$ with very little money...

with the proposed ban, I don't have much time, I read yesterday that if this ban passes the only thing it will affect is the ability to purchase lowers... is this true? meaning I need to go buy one ASAP?

What is the cheapest possible path from nothing to a completed left handed AR-15?
big pete 06:54 PM 01-24-2013
fyi guys - midwestpx has the NFA polymer stripped lowers in stock

http://midwestpx.com/index.php?cPath=92&sort=3a&page=2
spectrrr 07:52 PM 01-24-2013
Originally Posted by big pete:
fyi guys - midwestpx has the NFA polymer stripped lowers in stock

http://midwestpx.com/index.php?cPath=92&sort=3a&page=2
not anymore :-)
spectrrr 08:14 PM 01-24-2013
Originally Posted by Robulous78:
Ok Firearm guys...

I want my very own AR-15... but I am a broke a$$ with very little money...

with the proposed ban, I don't have much time, I read yesterday that if this ban passes the only thing it will affect is the ability to purchase lowers... is this true? meaning I need to go buy one ASAP?

What is the cheapest possible path from nothing to a completed left handed AR-15?
OK, so here's the deal. A stripped lower is what you have to acquire before a ban passes.

How much you're willing to pay for that lower, and how likely you think it is that a ban will actually pass, is something YOU have to determine. I would advice caution from buying into the fear mongering... and I would also advice equal caution from becoming complacent and thinking it can't happen. both extremes will not lend to healthy decisions.

So, advising on the assumption a ban will pass (because if one doesn't pass, you don't really have any questions that need answer):
You need a stripped lower. You can get one on Gunbroker right now for $350-$400. Retail is $90-$150. You're paying that surcharge for peace of mind, and the ability to have it in your hand NOW. Your other option for NOW would be to try going to a gun show this weekend, you'll probably find one on sale for $300-$350 (go early). A bird in the hand, two in the bush, and all that jazz.

If you think a ban will pass, but not for another 3-4 months, then you have other options. You can watch SlickGuns like a hawk and, waiting to pounce on a batch of lowers put up for sale or preorder. "in stock" generally doesn't ship for another 2-4 weeks. Pre-orders typically ship in 3-8 weeks. Make sure you find out before you buy.
BOTH of these pages will have listings for lowers on them:
http://www.slickguns.com/category/accessories
http://www.slickguns.com/category/rifles

POLYMER lowers: Lots of guys will thumb their noses at a polymer lower. I kinda am that way, but mostly because it doesn't fit MY needs. BUT a polymer lower does have it's place in the world, and they can be pretty danged durable (and because it flexes more, it can actually be more durable in some cases where metal would be irrecoverably bent). A bigger disadvantage to them I think than a perceived lack of durability, is a lack of customize-ability. Many times the Stock is fixed, etc. (that's actually a good thing - more mass, fewer small parts and joints to break). Either way, if you're flat broke, you want a plinker AR to have, hold and enjoy at the range or take hunting, A quality polymer lower is an option. And it's typically running only around $170 these days. You won't have much flexibility, but it will do the job.

I think that sums up what I know at the moment.

It should go without saying that you'll need to pick up a few magazines as well. A magazine capacity ban, in fact, has a much higher chance of passing than anything else.
big pete 08:14 PM 01-24-2013
Had two in my cart but decided to skip it since the two local FFLs charge $100+tax for transfers. I can get a private party metal one for a little more
spectrrr 08:16 PM 01-24-2013
Originally Posted by big pete:
Had two in my cart but decided to skip it since the two local FFLs charge $100+tax for transfers. I can get a private party metal one for a little more
$100!!!!!! &&$@%#%&#@

Is that "normal" for cali?

My local ones charge $25
Page 229 of 352
« First < 129179219227228229 230231239279329 > Last »
Up