Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 222 of 350
« First < 122172212220221222 223224232272322 > Last »
Health and Fitness>Pumping Iron with Zemekone and Icehog3
GreekGodX 03:15 PM 08-14-2010
Originally Posted by itzfrank:
Well, hang on now. I never said anything about using light weights. Do you mind explaining to me why a low rep set would tear more muscle fibers then something in the moderate rep range?
I think the assumption is if you are in a low rep range it is because you are using much heavier weight then something in a 6-8 rep range.
Ahbroody 10:42 PM 08-14-2010
I think I am odd here, I dont lift that heavy anymore. I lift to keep definition and keep strength. I have been lifting since 15, at 35 now I lift to keep a level of fitness as I have a good core. Even if I take a few weeks off as happens I bounce back fast. I am comfortable with my strength level and my size. I am only 5-7. I have been a rocked up 198, but dont like carrying that much weight I snored a lot, running distance was painfull on the joints.

BigFrank or some of you other guys, for someone like me do you think I should still be lifting heavy? Now I am not saying I am using light weight for someone my height, but I am definetly not trying to max out when I lift. I am floating in the low 170s and really dont want any more weight or size.
icehog3 10:47 PM 08-14-2010
I don't max out anymore either, Mike, as I am not a competitive powerlifter as Frank is....but I lift pretty heavy. You don't have to do max single reps to lift heavy, it's all relative.
Ahbroody 11:51 PM 08-14-2010
Roger that :-)
PeteSB75 07:11 AM 08-16-2010
Lazy this morning. I slept in instead of going to the gym. Did spin Sat & Sun, but no exciting lifting stories. Legs tomorrow.
icehog3 07:14 AM 08-16-2010
Today begins my week off....I will rest, eat, smoke and be merry. :-) See y'all on Sunday night.
Mugen910 07:37 AM 08-16-2010
Been slacking a bit last week, only hit the gym 2x but did some stuff at home with weights...Gotta hit the gym tonight.

side note...

Been pretty good with slightly modifying my daily consumption of sugar and carbs. I've cut down my coffee from large iced black/white mocha or iced coffee with cream and sugar to just iced black coffee. Focusing on protein over carbs and have been feeling good about hitting the gym 3-4 x a week.

Took photos at a wedding sat and see a slight difference in the belly area but not enough to keep me motivated. :-)
alwayslit 07:41 AM 08-16-2010
Originally Posted by icehog3:
50 sets? Really? Can you give us a breakdown, Jim, that sounds like Ahnold squating back in the day.
Hey Tom,
The breakdown:
Warmup set 175lb
3 20 rep (narrow grip)
3 20 rep (wide grip)
15 set narrow grip going from 250lb to 300lb to 250lb to 300lb 10lb increments min to min half rest
15 set wide grip 200lb to 250lb to 200lb to 250lb 10lb increments min to min half rest
15 set chest flys 50lb to 90lb to 50lb to 90lb 5lb increments min to min half
I'll do reps to exhaustion.
I'll do this routine every 3rd week.
GreekGodX 07:47 AM 08-16-2010
Originally Posted by alwayslit:
Hey Tom,
The breakdown:
Warmup set 175lb
3 20 rep (narrow grip)
3 20 rep (wide grip)
15 set narrow grip going from 250lb to 300lb to 250lb to 300lb 10lb increments min to min half rest
15 set wide grip 200lb to 250lb to 200lb to 250lb 10lb increments min to min half rest
15 set chest flys 50lb to 90lb to 50lb to 90lb 5lb increments min to min half
I'll do reps to exhaustion.
I'll do this routine every 3rd week.
Why are you going up in weight and then coming back down, then going back up? Crazy amount of reps/sets. Just not sure I see a benefit unless this is something you do after 3 weeks of low reps and you want to shock your system with a huge amount of reps.
alwayslit 07:53 AM 08-16-2010
Originally Posted by GreekGodX:
Why are you going up in weight and then coming back down, then going back up? Crazy amount of reps/sets. Just not sure I see a benefit unless this is something you do after 3 weeks of low reps and you want to shock your system with a huge amount of reps.
It's given me some good results. What would you suggest that might be a better alternative. thanks, Jim
GreekGodX 08:21 AM 08-16-2010
I'm thinking any benefits of 30 sets of wide and narrow grip bench doesn't help anything other than getting you fatigued. Why not pick one grip and ramp up your weight? Maybe do 6-7 low rep sets and on each set increase the weight up and finish near your max.
Ahbroody 09:00 AM 08-16-2010
Originally Posted by Mugen910:
Been slacking a bit last week, only hit the gym 2x but did some stuff at home with weights...Gotta hit the gym tonight.

side note...

Been pretty good with slightly modifying my daily consumption of sugar and carbs. I've cut down my coffee from large iced black/white mocha or iced coffee with cream and sugar to just iced black coffee. Focusing on protein over carbs and have been feeling good about hitting the gym 3-4 x a week.

Took photos at a wedding sat and see a slight difference in the belly area but not enough to keep me motivated. :-)
Bao are you running at all? Whats your daily diet look like? Have not been following this thread closely. I have cut down hard in the past, 18 pounds in a short period. The best advice I can give you if you want to get results so you stay motivated is 50grams of carbs or less and no carbs after lunch unless in your post workout shake. Just Meat and veggies with very minimal carbs. Not everyone loves a keto diet, but if you really want to improve fast this with running worked great for me. Even my wife who talked ish did it and had to eat her words. I will say this is not the funnest diet and your brain and body will be off initially while your body adjusts. Once your drop it its not that hard to keep a balance as long as you dont eat crazy. I am starting the diet back up myself. I love bad food
Tripp 10:28 AM 08-16-2010
Excited to start my new workout today. For the last few months, I was doing a pretty intense split: I would alternate between Arms/Shoulders/Abs and Chest/Back/Legs/Abs, doing one routine twice a week, and the other 3 times a week, switching every week.

New split is going to be:

Mon: Bi's/Tri's/Abs
Tues: Full Body Circuit
Wed: Chest/Back
Thurs: Full Body Circuit 2
Fri: Shoulders/Legs
Mugen910 11:17 AM 08-16-2010
Originally Posted by Ahbroody:
Bao are you running at all? Whats your daily diet look like? Have not been following this thread closely. I have cut down hard in the past, 18 pounds in a short period. The best advice I can give you if you want to get results so you stay motivated is 50grams of carbs or less and no carbs after lunch unless in your post workout shake. Just Meat and veggies with very minimal carbs. Not everyone loves a keto diet, but if you really want to improve fast this with running worked great for me. Even my wife who talked ish did it and had to eat her words. I will say this is not the funnest diet and your brain and body will be off initially while your body adjusts. Once your drop it its not that hard to keep a balance as long as you dont eat crazy. I am starting the diet back up myself. I love bad food
Running is not in my plans for another 6-8 months as I had ACL surgery in late March. :-)

I might try starting the day off at the gym but that ain't going to be pretty for first few weeks.
GreekGodX 12:06 PM 08-16-2010
Originally Posted by Ahbroody:
Less than 50g of Carbs! :-) That's low, Mike. How long did you sustain that diet, and how did your wife not leave you in that time. If I was on a ketogenic diet I'd have nobody in my life because they would all hate me :-) I can't recommend anyone do less than 50g of Carbs a day. Just your brain needs that much to function. The body can produce glucose for the brain on it's own from protein but below 50g is crazy.
DBall 12:20 PM 08-16-2010
My birthday is the 31st of this month and my gym membership wore out a couple months ago... for my birthday, Shell picked me up a 3 month membership so I got to get back to it today. I friggin' love going to the gym, so that rocks!

I think I'm going to try to figure out the stuff in the free weights room soon...
Mugen910 12:26 PM 08-16-2010
Originally Posted by DBall:
My birthday is the 31st of this month and my gym membership wore out a couple months ago... for my birthday, Shell picked me up a 3 month membership so I got to get back to it today. I friggin' love going to the gym, so that rocks!

I think I'm going to try to figure out the stuff in the free weights room soon...
Good to know!

Have fun tossing weights around.
Mugen910 02:37 PM 08-16-2010
Not sure if you guys use this but there is a sale going on.

http://slickdeals.net/forums/showpos...91&postcount=1

BSN's Syntha-6 in the 2.91lb is currently 18.61 w/Subscribe and Save. If you buy 2 or more you will get free shipping. Each container holds 30 servings, which works out to .62 a scoop. Good price on a high quality protein. This protein is good for meal replacements or for those looking to bulk. Each scoop has about 200 calories and 22 grams of protein.

http://www.amazon.com/BSN-Syntha-6-U...ur=forums&ses=
BigFrank 02:45 PM 08-16-2010
I just drink motor oil now. **** it.

Off to squat and deadlift. Might max on pulls tonight. Squat has been dismal so no dice there. Wed. gonna take some weight to 1 board or even try and touch weight in my new shirt. Then it's vacation time. gonna let me gut hang out at the beach proclaiming to everyone that not only am I in terrible shape I'm stronger then them...powerlifting...
Ahbroody 03:26 PM 08-16-2010
Originally Posted by GreekGodX:
Less than 50g of Carbs! :-) That's low, Mike. How long did you sustain that diet, and how did your wife not leave you in that time. If I was on a ketogenic diet I'd have nobody in my life because they would all hate me :-) I can't recommend anyone do less than 50g of Carbs a day. Just your brain needs that much to function. The body can produce glucose for the brain on it's own from protein but below 50g is crazy.
Thats why I said it takes a few weeks for your brain and body to get used to it. I did it for about 2.5 months with a lot of running and got a pretty nice cut out of it. My workouts suffered though, but at that time I wanted the beach body. Yes I was a biotch the first few weeks while my brain got adjusted. You do get one carb up day a week, but I didnt really use it.:-) Thats the whole point of Keto though is to force the body to use the fat to produce instead of the carbs. There is also a substantial increase in BMs from all the protien and veggies. That is uhhhhhh yeah thats not so fun. :-)

The upside though is that it is fast and works well provided you follow it. Two co workers have done it with very impressive results. It works just not a lot of fun. Okay it actually sucks, but it works.

Bao maybe try eliptical or stationary bike. No impact, I dont know just throwing it out there. Combined the two and your belly will shrink I promise. I have warned you about the side effects though.
Page 222 of 350
« First < 122172212220221222 223224232272322 > Last »
Up