Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 221 of 350
« First < 121171211219220221 222223231271321 > Last »
Health and Fitness>Pumping Iron with Zemekone and Icehog3
itzfrank 08:00 AM 08-11-2010
7:30AM ET Workout: H.I.T.
HammerStrength Flat Bench Machine 2x15(90,140lbs), 1x12(180lbs), 1x10(230lbs), 1x8(270lbs)
DB Flat Bench 1x12(50lb DB) 1X12(60lb DB) 1x10(70lb DB)
DB Incline Bench Bottom Partials 1x15(40lb DB) 1X12(50lb DB) 1X10(60lb DB)
HammerStrength Incline Bench Machine 1X15(115lb) 1x12(125lb) 1x8(150lb)

HammerStrength 1Arm Iso Shoulder Press 1x10(45lb) 2x10(55lb)
-Super Set w/ DB Lateral Raises 3x10(12lbs)
-Super Set w/ DB Frontal Raise 3x10(12lbs)
PeckDeck Reverse Machine Flies 1x15(80lbs) 1x12(95lbs) 1x10(110lbs)

:-)
Mugen910 07:30 PM 08-11-2010
Chest and back tonight then 10 min on the eliptical (sp?)

I jog down to get the mail yesterday and after 6 steps I realized my knee still is not ready :-)
Posted via Mobile Device
PeteSB75 06:56 AM 08-12-2010
Shoulders and back volume this morning. Hang cleans, pullups, press and finished with some cable low rows. I'm gonna be sore as heck tomorrow. :-)
Mugen910 07:24 AM 08-12-2010
So I don't feel sore or anything from my upper body workouts..maybe a bit of tightness here and there, nothing crazy.

Funny thing though, after the workout last night I had dinner, cigar, played a bit of COD (Call of Duty) and then walked by my pull-up bar and thought "Why not see what I can do" Right when I tried to do one my chest and back started screaming at me :-) :-)
itzfrank 08:23 AM 08-12-2010
Originally Posted by Mugen910:
So I don't feel sore or anything from my upper body workouts..maybe a bit of tightness here and there, nothing crazy.
Being sore isn't an indicator of a good work out. We tend to put too much emphasis on it :-)
bonjing 01:57 PM 08-12-2010
After mourning the loss of my workout partner, I hit the gym for a little chest work out tonight:

Flat dumbbell 4 sets 12, 10, 10, 8
incline dumbbell 3 x 12
decline machine 4 x 15
pecdec fly's 4 x 12
cable flys to lower chest 4 x 12
cable flys to upper chest 4 x 12

tried a little ab workout, I could use a little stretching tips for the abs :-)
Mugen910 02:09 PM 08-12-2010
Originally Posted by bonjing:
After mourning the loss of my workout partner, I hit the gym for a little chest work out tonight:

Flat dumbbell 4 sets 12, 10, 10, 8
incline dumbbell 3 x 12
decline machine 4 x 15
pecdec fly's 4 x 12
cable flys to lower chest 4 x 12
cable flys to upper chest 4 x 12

tried a little ab workout, I could use a little stretching tips for the abs :-)
I like this one

Yes Frank def put too much effort on being sore :-)
alwayslit 02:36 PM 08-12-2010
Originally Posted by BigFrank:
Squatting and Pulled last night. Sore as a mofo' today. Ordered some more Jack3d. I find that 2 1/2 scoops works best. I mix it with some gatorade and aminos, drink half right away then drink the second half about 1/2 way through workout. Worked well like that.
......just ordered some last week. Do you find it to be more effective than NO explode or fusion force.
BigFrank 02:48 PM 08-12-2010
Originally Posted by alwayslit:
......just ordered some last week. Do you find it to be more effective than NO explode or fusion force.
Yes big time.
alwayslit 02:50 PM 08-12-2010
Thanks.I might just break into it when I get home. Need to be amped for a 50 set chest workout.
icehog3 04:24 PM 08-12-2010
Thanks.I might just break into it when I get home. Need to be amped for a 50 set chest workout.
50 sets? Really? Can you give us a breakdown, Jim, that sounds like Ahnold squating back in the day.
GreekGodX 04:28 PM 08-12-2010
Originally Posted by icehog3:
50 sets? Really? Can you give us a breakdown, Jim, that sounds like Ahnold squating back in the day.
That is insane. Definitely want to see a break down, and what your goals are in a workout like that..
itzfrank 05:14 PM 08-12-2010
...Need to be amped for a 50 set chest workout.

IMO, I think this is a bit overkill for chest. The chest benefits from being stretched in many different directions. There's really only 3 sections to the chest and your shoulders and triceps play a major part of most chest exercises.

The reason that this method works for legs is because it's such a HUGE muscle group you have to really exhaust a lot of the primary muscle fibers to really get into the good stuff.

Atleast that's my opinion on it. Most of the reading I've done on mass training for upper body is 8-12 reps whereas they recommend 12-15 for legs. To me, it would make sense that this would be similar with the number of sets.
BigFrank 06:41 PM 08-12-2010
Low reps is where you need to be to build muscle. Dont know about 50 sets. I usually just flat bench and do something else then I'm done.
itzfrank 08:17 AM 08-13-2010
Doesn't low reps builds strength. Power lifting is usually in a target range of 2-6, no? Again, I might be mistaken but Strength is not always a direct result of size.

Example: Body Builder physique vs Power Lifting physique.

The strongest body builder on the pro circuit is said to be Johnnie Jackson and he doesn't even place top 10 at the Olympia.

Not trying to start an arguement though. Different strokes for different folks.
BigFrank 07:11 PM 08-13-2010
Low reps do build strength but they also build muscle. Size and strength normally go hand in hand to some extent, especially for beginner to intermediate lifters. Not until lifters usually get to an elite / pro level do the glaring differences start to occur. Look at the past Mr. Olympia's and how they train. Main exercises should be done low reps. The muscle has to be broken down and then repaired for size to occur. What do you think does that better?

The whole powerlifter / bodybuilding physique difference is from training but not as much as one would think. It is more from dieting and drug use differences.

Without getting too winded here the big difference is bodybuilders do everything in volume and powerlifters train what is needed to get stronger. Where as a bodybuilder may do 12 sets for biceps, most powerlifters just do enough for them. Which with that said a lot of powerlifting is technique. Bodybuilding not so much.

Guess the bottom line here is, if your not going heavy in the gym because your bodybuilding, you're cutting yourself short. Still gotta bust your ass to get stronger or bigger.
icehog3 11:39 PM 08-13-2010
Well said, Frank.

Two more days of busting ass in the gym for me and then a week of relaxing, eating, smoking cigars and maybe having a drink or three.
bonjing 12:54 AM 08-14-2010
I have a question regarding my work out. I'm working out for strength and some size. I'm not really trying to go for the defined look if that makes any sense. Kind of like Bolo Yeung from Enter the Dragon. I know I haven't posted much about my workout, but doing what I'm doing will that lead me to what I'm trying to do. Or is it the diet/fat overlay that makes up more of the definition/ripped look.
BigFrank 06:43 AM 08-14-2010
Originally Posted by bonjing:
I have a question regarding my work out. I'm working out for strength and some size. I'm not really trying to go for the defined look if that makes any sense. Kind of like Bolo Yeung from Enter the Dragon. I know I haven't posted much about my workout, but doing what I'm doing will that lead me to what I'm trying to do. Or is it the diet/fat overlay that makes up more of the definition/ripped look.
If you already have some muscle and are trying to get that ripped look you'll need to diet down.
itzfrank 08:33 AM 08-14-2010
Originally Posted by BigFrank:
Low reps do build strength but they also build muscle. Size and strength normally go hand in hand to some extent, especially for beginner to intermediate lifters. Not until lifters usually get to an elite / pro level do the glaring differences start to occur. Look at the past Mr. Olympia's and how they train. Main exercises should be done low reps. The muscle has to be broken down and then repaired for size to occur. What do you think does that better?

The whole powerlifter / bodybuilding physique difference is from training but not as much as one would think. It is more from dieting and drug use differences.

Without getting too winded here the big difference is bodybuilders do everything in volume and powerlifters train what is needed to get stronger. Where as a bodybuilder may do 12 sets for biceps, most powerlifters just do enough for them. Which with that said a lot of powerlifting is technique. Bodybuilding not so much.

Guess the bottom line here is, if your not going heavy in the gym because your bodybuilding, you're cutting yourself short. Still gotta bust your ass to get stronger or bigger.

Well, hang on now. I never said anything about using light weights. Do you mind explaining to me why a low rep set would tear more muscle fibers then something in the moderate rep range?
Page 221 of 350
« First < 121171211219220221 222223231271321 > Last »
Up