Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 22 of 53
« First < 12202122 232432 > Last »
General Discussion>The Official Asylum Reef Tank Thread
Blueface 07:32 AM 03-03-2009
Originally Posted by sergeant smoky:
I got home on Saturday and have good news to report. All my water tests were good, I think my son misread a test or two. The salinity was really high, 1.028, I added 3 gals of freshwater and now it's back down to 1.021. I found a few fish to use as feeders that will live in the salt water. I am hoping that Fred, my chainlink moray eel, will learn how to hunt again. He is trying but is still a little slow. Thanks for all the advice that I recieved when I had questions.

Sarge
No wonder the eel was not happy.
That is way too high of salinity.
Even the saltiest of reefs average no more than 23-25.
Even 21 is a bit high if you don't have a reef.
Fish only systems will run like a charm between 17 and 19, limiting significantly any outbreaks of parasites.
Less salt is actually easier on the fish as their bodies are designed to filter the water and remove the salt. They do it first via the slime coat and second via their organs.

Don't forget to get him on a shrimp or clam diet.
Buy them as you would for yourself and share with him.:-)
Really cool to see them go nuts on a clam shell.
[Reply]
Wolfgang 07:34 AM 03-03-2009
Six fish and an eel should ideally have more than 75 gallons. Look into a 90 its just a few inches wider.

Look into wet dry sump systems. They will save you a lot of headaches if properly set up.
[Reply]
Smoking Dragon 07:45 AM 03-03-2009
Originally Posted by Wolfgang:
Six fish and an eel should ideally have more than 75 gallons. Look into a 90 its just a few inches wider.

Look into wet dry sump systems. They will save you a lot of headaches if properly set up.
I have seen the 90 gal tanks. They are the same length and with, only it's 4" taller. So the base and cover I am building will still work.
[Reply]
Blueface 07:47 AM 03-03-2009
I have seen the 90 gal tanks. They are the same length and with, only it's 4" taller. So the base and cover I am building will still work.
Just remember, height means nothing to the inhabitants. It only means something to you if that is the look you want.
Fish are happy based on the footprint as that is how they establish territory and as you said and are correct, a 75 and a 90 have the same footprint.
[Reply]
Smoking Dragon 07:50 AM 03-03-2009
Look into wet dry sump systems. They will save you a lot of headaches if properly set up.[/quote]

Any recomendations?
[Reply]
Blueface 07:55 AM 03-03-2009

Any recomendations?
The wet dry filters that are common all around are all pretty much the same, just offer different looks/features in some cases.
Go to your local shop and look around. See one you like and fits your need/cabinet, in a manner you can easily remove it without worrying about removing the tank to get it out.
Then, go online to Dr. Foster and Smith/Pet Warehouse and price it. You will save lots of money, even with the shipping.

The next question will be do you drill it for an external pump or do a drop in?
If you have room, I prefer external. If limited in room, go drop in. Drop in tend to lock up more often than an external will ever.
If you need to drill it, let me know and will walk you through it. Easy thing to do to drill and place a bulkhead.
[Reply]
Smoking Dragon 09:00 AM 03-03-2009
I am leaning more towards a external filter. I will have room in the base that I am building for it. I have been reading that they are easier to maintain.
[Reply]
Blueface 09:18 AM 03-03-2009
I am leaning more towards a external filter. I will have room in the base that I am building for it. I have been reading that they are easier to maintain.
The wet dry is external.
I was referring to the pump.
If you use a wet dry, you can use a drop in pump or an external one, depending on the room you have.

Every set up I have ever sold/installed, I have always used a wet dry. Extremely reliable.
However, if you are going to go via the way of a reef, I would recommend you look into a refugium. It is a wet dry on steroids for reefs. It is a much more modern method and very efficient for reefs.
[Reply]
BC-Axeman 10:43 AM 03-03-2009
I was going to ask if there is a reason not to use a refugium for a F.O. tank but then I suppose the lower salinity might affect it. A refugium is just a sump with live rock and sand with a light on it.
Mine is a 20 gal glass aquarium with dividers and one 2ft. fluorescent lamp.
[Reply]
Blueface 10:45 AM 03-03-2009
Originally Posted by BC-Axeman:
I was going to ask if there is a reason not to use a refugium for a F.O. tank but then I suppose the lower salinity might affect it. A refugium is just a sump with live rock and sand with a light on it.
Mine is a 20 gal glass aquarium with dividers and one 2ft. fluorescent lamp.
No doubt a refugium will work well with a fish only system also.
In fact, if I was still installing tanks, would sell everyone a refugium.

I just figured if fish only system, to keep it simple, a wet dry is a great way to go.
[Reply]
Smoking Dragon 01:51 PM 03-03-2009
is this a good filter?

ADHI Refugium Model 30
Refugiums are one of the most efficient ways of filtration in saltwater aquaria today. Not only is it a natural way to filter your display tank but it is a sanctuary for micro-organisms to flourish and reproduce. The Macro-algae used in the refugium will utilize nitrates and phosphates from your water column. These algae?s use these nutrients to grow and thrive. ADHI Refugiums offer you the advantage of using a protein skimmer of your choice. These versitile filters allow you to use most drop in style skimmers, hang on units or simply stand the skimmer of your choice next to the filter.

Refugium Model 30
Rated to 135 Gallons
Dims: 30"L x 14"W x 18"T
Skimmer Compartment 13.5" x 10"
Refugium Compartment 13.5" x 10"
1 - 1" Drain Intake
3/4" Return for submersible pump
1" Bulk Head for external pump option
Maximum flow 1000 gph Recommended flow - 5-6 times aquarium volume Includes 1 x 32w PC Light kit
3 Year Warranty
Fits ASM-G1 & G1X Skimmer

Also with this filter do I need to get a seperate protein skimmer?
[Reply]
Blueface 02:02 PM 03-03-2009
is this a good filter?

ADHI Refugium Model 30
Refugiums are one of the most efficient ways of filtration in saltwater aquaria today. Not only is it a natural way to filter your display tank but it is a sanctuary for micro-organisms to flourish and reproduce. The Macro-algae used in the refugium will utilize nitrates and phosphates from your water column. These algae?s use these nutrients to grow and thrive. ADHI Refugiums offer you the advantage of using a protein skimmer of your choice. These versitile filters allow you to use most drop in style skimmers, hang on units or simply stand the skimmer of your choice next to the filter.

Refugium Model 30
Rated to 135 Gallons
1 - 1" Drain Intake
Maximum flow 1000 gph Recommended flow - 5-6 times aquarium volume Includes 1 x 32w PC Light kit
3 Year Warranty

Will see if I can track that down later tonight to view it.
Get the largest the cabinet will allow as important to handle overflow of water if power failure or when you shut the tank down for any service.
With any under tank filtration, a certain volume of water that varies based on tank size will always kick back and down to the filter until the syphon is broken.
Some use check valves but I have found they always go bad and don't work when you really end up needing them.
Will see if I can find my old handy chart on wet dry size to tank size.

And yes, a skimmer is extra and recommended. That too, the bigger, the better.
[Reply]
BC-Axeman 02:18 PM 03-03-2009
Check valves = bad idea. Unless you want to clean and replace them a lot.
I use black plastic or reinforced rubber hoses for everything as light will make too many things grow in the hoses. Even still, things grow everywhere.

If you start out with your tank full up to the point where the siphon breaks, the power off, and your sump filled to the maximum safe level, you can then turn on the pumps and the water in the sump will stabilize to the maximum level it should be filled with the pumps on. I put a piece of tape that says "NEVER FILL OVER THIS LINE!" at that point. (Unless the power is out, of course).

The specs on that refugium Sarge listed look great if it will fit in the cabinet.
[Reply]
Blueface 02:33 PM 03-03-2009
Check valves = bad idea. Unless you want to clean and replace them a lot.
I use black plastic or reinforced rubber hoses for everything as light will make too many things grow in the hoses. Even still, things grow everywhere.

If you start out with your tank full up to the point where the siphon breaks, the power off, and your sump filled to the maximum safe level, you can then turn on the pumps and the water in the sump will stabilize to the maximum level it should be filled with the pumps on. I put a piece of tape that says "NEVER FILL OVER THIS LINE!" at that point. (Unless the power is out, of course).

The specs on that refugium Sarge listed look great if it will fit in the cabinet.
All great stuff but he needs to make sure he has the right size sump to set that up as otherwise, the tape mark will go on the floor with the water.:-):-):-)

I use hardline PVC for all uses.
Have gone away from flex hose but I am good at that stuff and most folks will find the flex hose much easier.
If you take the return piece that sits inside the tank and drill a hole letting water flow out of it, when the power goes off, syphon breaks immediately, limiting the water flowing back to the sump.

Here is some of my radical plumbing.
[Reply]
Blueface 02:38 PM 03-03-2009
Wet dry/sump side. (before adding bio balls)
That is what you are referring to as to the water line. Here is where I tested the max back up point for the tape/mark.

[Reply]
Blueface 02:43 PM 03-03-2009
is this a good filter?

ADHI Refugium Model 30

Refugium Model 30
Rated to 135 Gallons
1 - 1" Drain Intake
3 Year Warranty

I just realized, a 75/90 is 48 long.
If this wet dry is 30 long, need to know how your cabinet is set up as you may not be able to manage getting this in there without dropping it down before placing the tank on the cabinet and that can be a problem down the line.
[Reply]
BC-Axeman 03:31 PM 03-03-2009
I did the hole in the water line trick but it caused a lot of salt creep, so I was glad when it clogged.
Originally Posted by :
All great stuff but he needs to make sure he has the right size sump to set that up as otherwise, the tape mark will go on the floor with the water.:-):-):-)
Not if you start with the sump full when the power is off. The level will go down from there (into the main tank) when you turn the power on, and will return to that level in the sump when the power goes off. It is so hard to explain things when you know what you mean and others have no clue. With a couple of little pictures I could make it perfectly clear.
I have a spare wet/dry filter a little larger than the one in the picture. Too big for my cabinet. It was just being used as a refugium, so I have no media for it.
[Reply]
Blueface 04:03 PM 03-03-2009
I did the hole in the water line trick but it caused a lot of salt creep, so I was glad when it clogged.

Not if you start with the sump full when the power is off. The level will go down from there (into the main tank) when you turn the power on, and will return to that level in the sump when the power goes off. It is so hard to explain things when you know what you mean and others have no clue. With a couple of little pictures I could make it perfectly clear.
I have a spare wet/dry filter a little larger than the one in the picture. Too big for my cabinet. It was just being used as a refugium, so I have no media for it.
I am surprised at the salt creep. If you drill a very tiny hole and keep it parallel to the water level, going into the water level, there will never be any creep as it is not exposed to the air. You just don't want it exposed. Will try to take a shot of mine for illustration. I have had it like that for 12 yrs and never a speck of salt. Neither on any of my customers' tanks.

As it relates to the backflow, believe me, I know exactly what you are talking about as I always did that and showed customers how to do it.
I was just making light of it that honestly it won't work if your sump is too small. If the wet dry is too small, the tank will most definitely overflow the wet dry regardless of how you try to mark it as it is going to back up a certain amount of water that cannot be controlled as it determined by the tank size on tanks with built in overflow boxes. If you use a hang on overflow box, different story as it can be adjusted to whatever water level you want in the tank.
[Reply]
BC-Axeman 04:58 PM 03-03-2009
My little air hole is just above the water level instead of just below it. Salt has a way of creeping pretty far. I see what you mean about the sump backflow. If you had a 5 gal sump and 4 -5 gal could backflow you could never have enough water in the sump without it overflowing when the power went off.
[Reply]
darb85 08:30 PM 03-03-2009
Is there anyone on the Toledo area that can pick up a fish for me and meet me in lansing or somewhere in between? Ill buy the beer and make it worth thier while. send me a pm if you can.
[Reply]
Page 22 of 53
« First < 12202122 232432 > Last »
Up