Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 22 of 31
« First < 12202122 2324 > Last »
Sports>*2010 MLB Thread*
The Poet 03:56 PM 07-05-2010
To be honest (for a brief second :-) ), the only problem I have with the fans making all the picks is that these days the game actually means a little something . . . possible home-field during the World Series. Otherwise, the All Star game is solely for the fans, so why shouldn't they see who they want to see play?
[Reply]
3SmokesaRound 04:07 PM 07-05-2010
Originally Posted by The Poet:
To be honest (for a brief second :-) ), the only problem I have with the fans making all the picks is that these days the game actually means a little something . . . possible home-field during the World Series. Otherwise, the All Star game is solely for the fans, so why shouldn't they see who they want to see play?
The major problem with the fans making all the selections is that people that deserve to be there often times get left off the roster unless they are from a big market team like the Yankees or Red Sox. I think the All Star team should be made up the guys that have the best numbers at this point in the season. I don't have a problem with each team being represented either.
[Reply]
The Poet 04:19 PM 07-05-2010
Originally Posted by 3SmokesaRound:
The major problem with the fans making all the selections is that people that deserve to be there often times get left off the roster unless they are from a big market team like the Yankees or Red Sox.
OK, but your Giants play in a city with a greater population than Boston, and Fresno itself ain't much smaller than Beantown. Is it the Red Sox fan's fault that you laid-back Cali surfer dudes don't support your own as strongly?

As for the Yankees, let's forget for a moment that New York City dwarfs Frisco and Boston combined and instead take note that, at the moment, there are three definite Hall Of Fame players on the team, two who are at least borderline, and three or four more who have demonstrated the potential to become HOFers. Why should they not dominate the All Star game, hunh? :-)
[Reply]
3SmokesaRound 05:19 PM 07-05-2010
OK, but your Giants play in a city with a greater population than Boston, and Fresno itself ain't much smaller than Beantown. Is it the Red Sox fan's fault that you laid-back Cali surfer dudes don't support your own as strongly?

As for the Yankees, let's forget for a moment that New York City dwarfs Frisco and Boston combined and instead take note that, at the moment, there are three definite Hall Of Fame players on the team, two who are at least borderline, and three or four more who have demonstrated the potential to become HOFers. Why should they not dominate the All Star game, hunh? :-)
I had to laugh out loud at your comment above. I don't do much surfing here in Fresno, three hours from the beach in 100 degree weather.

I don't think the population of indivual cities where teams are located really factors into the equation a whole lot. Instead, it's a teams history and current or recent production. We both know how many bandwagoners there are out there. In fact, my two buddies that follow baseball most are both Yankee fans.

As far as the other bolded comment above - If the Yankees had 9 guys that deserved to be in the All Star game because of their stats THIS YEAR (not because they have done it in the past or are potential HoF'ers) I could live with that. Even though I root against the "Evil Empire." :-)
[Reply]
chippewastud79 05:36 PM 07-05-2010
Originally Posted by 3SmokesaRound:
That is laughable, but in all honesty I'd rather the fans have an extra pick than the managers getting any. Really though, every pick should be decided on by the players. :-)
The NFL does that and the same players seem to go every year. I don't know what the answer is to getting the most deserving players into the AllStar games of the respective sports but every league has their flaw with how they vote players in. Every year there are players left out, and players who are in there strictly based on legacy. :-)
[Reply]
3SmokesaRound 06:14 PM 07-05-2010
Originally Posted by chippewastud79:
The NFL does that and the same players seem to go every year. I don't know what the answer is to getting the most deserving players into the AllStar games of the respective sports but every league has their flaw with how they vote players in. Every year there are players left out, and players who are in there strictly based on legacy. :-)
I agree that there are flaws in every system, in every game, and every year there are guys left off the "Team" that deserve to be there. By no means, with the players voting all selections in, would it solve the problem. I just feel it's the lesser of all evils. I just can't stand how most managers pick THEIR guys or Omar Infante. It sucks for Infante, and I hope if he gets to play, that he plays well, but there are about 25 guys that should be there instead of him.
[Reply]
kelmac07 07:02 PM 07-05-2010
I ALWAYS root against the "Evil Empire"!! :-) :-) :-)
[Reply]
The Poet 01:26 PM 07-06-2010
Originally Posted by kelmac07:
I ALWAYS root against the "Evil Empire"!! :-) :-) :-)
And we appreciate that, Mac. :-)

:-)
[Reply]
MedicCook 02:50 PM 07-06-2010
Vote for Swisher!!!!!!
[Reply]
kelmac07 03:07 PM 07-06-2010
Originally Posted by MedicCook:
Vote for Swisher!!!!!!
:-) :-) There are already too many Yankees on the roster.
[Reply]
MedicCook 03:11 PM 07-06-2010
:-) :-) There are not enough Yankees on the roster.
I agree completely Mac.

If there was a Mets player in the final vote I would have voted for them also. :-)
[Reply]
kelmac07 03:12 PM 07-06-2010
:-) :-) :-) Sad as it is to say, I did vote for Swisher. He is having a very quiet, consistent year.
[Reply]
The Poet 03:16 PM 07-06-2010
:-) :-) There are already too many Yankees on the roster.
Maybe so, in some opinions. But note this: He is hitting .296, with 13 HRs and 47 RBIs, and an OBP of .883. Compare that to all the people crying that Stephen Strasburg should be on the roster, with his 2-2 record and 2.45 ERA, all on the basis of the splash he's made in his whole 36+ innings in the major leagues.
[Reply]
kelmac07 03:21 PM 07-06-2010
Maybe so, in some opinions. But note this: He is hitting .296, with 13 HRs and 47 RBIs, and an OBP of .883. Compare that to all the people crying that Stephen Strasburg should be on the roster, with his 2-2 record and 2.45 ERA, all on the basis of the splash he's made in his whole 36+ innings in the major leagues.
I agree Thomas...Strasburg has no business being on this roster...not this year. And see above...Swisher is having a decent year for the Yanks.
[Reply]
MedicCook 03:24 PM 07-06-2010
Swisher's defense has been very good this year. This is probably his best all round season in his career.
[Reply]
VirtualSmitty 03:48 PM 07-06-2010
Swisher got my Al votes and Zimmerman got my NL votes.
[Reply]
MedicCook 04:08 PM 07-06-2010
Originally Posted by VirtualSmitty:
Swisher got my Al votes and Zimmerman got my NL votes.
Same here.
[Reply]
The Poet 03:23 PM 07-07-2010
Did you guys catch this foul pop? Geoff Blum, infielder for the Astros, landed on the 15-day DL when he injured himself . . . putting on his shirt. Seems he was sticking his arm through the sleeve when he heard a pop in his elbow.

:-)
[Reply]
kelmac07 03:26 PM 07-07-2010
How can you overlook what Joey Votto has done?? He is probably the NL MVP if voting ended today. Zimmerman is playing for a last place team, albeit the Nats.
[Reply]
Starscream 10:24 PM 07-07-2010
How can you overlook what Joey Votto has done?? He is probably the NL MVP if voting ended today. Zimmerman is playing for a last place team, albeit the Nats.
Yessir. Everybody put in a vote for this man. He's been through a lot the past year and is still rocking the ball.:-)
[Reply]
Page 22 of 31
« First < 12202122 2324 > Last »
Up