Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 22 of 38
« First < 12202122 232432 > Last »
Coffee Discussion>What are you roasting today?
ApexAZ 10:22 AM 03-02-2012
Dang quakers.
[Reply]
physiognomy 06:04 PM 03-02-2012
I'm going to roast some of the El Salvador beans I got from Klatch last month... I haven't decided which one yet, but probably the Pepinal 1

Originally Posted by ApexAZ:
Dang quakers.
I don't usually bother doing anything with them... Imho, they don't change the flavor enough to worry unless there are a lot of really light beans.
[Reply]
BSB 07:05 PM 03-02-2012
Originally Posted by physiognomy:
I'm going to roast some of the El Salvador beans I got from Klatch last month... I haven't decided which one yet, but probably the Pepinal 1

I don't usually bother doing anything with them... Imho, they don't change the flavor enough to worry unless there are a lot of really light beans.
How could you possibly know that? :-) And it's not really hard or time consuming. I don't get it.
[Reply]
physiognomy 11:12 AM 03-03-2012
Originally Posted by BSB:
How could you possibly know that? :-) And it's not really hard or time consuming. I don't get it.
I'll make sure to take them out when you come over for a cup, Bob :-)

I've just found that (to my taste) the one or five beans that end up two shades lighter (I'm not talking about the beans that just don't roast) don't really make much of a difference in a 1/2lb lot. I've left them in for a couple of cups/pots and then picked them out for the remainder plenty of times... Not enough difference (to my tastes), so I've given up worrying unless they are still yellow or really light brown.

People who know better than me say that you need to take out any abnormal beans post-roast for the best flavors. I'm not suggesting anyone do otherwise & agree that they are right... Just sharing that it doesn't seem to make much difference to me. YMMV :-)

I just roasted 1/2lb of El Salvador Las Mercedes Pepinal 1... Smells fantastic, so I'm looking forward to tomorrows cup!

[Reply]
BSB 12:32 PM 03-03-2012
Got it! I'll keep picking :-) :-)
[Reply]
ApexAZ 10:31 AM 03-04-2012
I'll make sure to take them out when you come over for a cup, Bob :-)

I've just found that (to my taste) the one or five beans that end up two shades lighter (I'm not talking about the beans that just don't roast) don't really make much of a difference in a 1/2lb lot. I've left them in for a couple of cups/pots and then picked them out for the remainder plenty of times... Not enough difference (to my tastes), so I've given up worrying unless they are still yellow or really light brown.

People who know better than me say that you need to take out any abnormal beans post-roast for the best flavors. I'm not suggesting anyone do otherwise & agree that they are right... Just sharing that it doesn't seem to make much difference to me. YMMV :-)

I just roasted 1/2lb of El Salvador Las Mercedes Pepinal 1... Smells fantastic, so I'm looking forward to tomorrows cup!

Looks great! Full city?
[Reply]
physiognomy 03:06 PM 03-04-2012
About 30secs past the end of first crack... I don't think it made full city (a little uneven surface to the bean), but tasty nonetheless!
[Reply]
BSB 04:05 PM 03-04-2012
Roasted a new coffee this morning, Colombia Finca Buenavista - Carlos Imbachi to city+. Cupping on Tues.
[Reply]
Chainsaw13 08:29 PM 03-04-2012
I'm gonna be like a kid on Christmas come Saturday. That's when I get home and I can open my shipment from SM's. Wonder what I'll get.
[Reply]
ApexAZ 08:51 PM 03-04-2012
Originally Posted by Chainsaw13:
I'm gonna be like a kid on Christmas come Saturday. That's when I get home and I can open my shipment from SM's. Wonder what I'll get.
Did you get samplers?
[Reply]
Chainsaw13 08:51 PM 03-04-2012
Originally Posted by ApexAZ:
Did you get samplers?
Yea, the 4lb sampler and 1lb of the Monkey Blend.
[Reply]
ApexAZ 08:58 PM 03-04-2012
Originally Posted by Chainsaw13:
Yea, the 4lb sampler and 1lb of the Monkey Blend.
Sweet!
[Reply]
Blak Smyth 05:50 AM 03-05-2012
Went far darker than they recommend, but we will see how it tastes.
[Reply]
Mr B 10:30 AM 03-05-2012

Try collecting a batch of them and make a cup of coffee form them. Betcha it tastes like crap. :-)
[Reply]
Mr B 10:32 AM 03-05-2012
Originally Posted by BSB:
Roasted a new coffee this morning, Colombia Finca Buenavista - Carlos Imbachi to city+. Cupping on Tues.

I loved that one. Especially after 4-5 days. It seemed to be better with more rest IMO.
:-)
[Reply]
BSB 04:07 PM 03-06-2012
Originally Posted by Mr B:
I loved that one. Especially after 4-5 days. It seemed to be better with more rest IMO.
Interesting, I loved it today, with 2 :-)
[Reply]
Blak Smyth 06:22 AM 03-07-2012
A little lighter than last time, looks great. It is right where I wanted it.
[Reply]
forgop 09:52 AM 03-07-2012
Picked up a West Bend Poppery II and then ordered an 8# sampler from Sweet Marias. Let the roasting begin. :-)
[Reply]
Mr B 10:44 AM 03-07-2012
Originally Posted by forgop:
Picked up a West Bend Poppery II and then ordered an 8# sampler from Sweet Marias. Let the roasting begin. :-)

[Reply]
BSB 10:46 AM 03-07-2012
Yemen Mokha Ismaili :-) half City+ - FC, half FC+, this will rest 6 days and be sampled when I get back from Phoenix. I choose Yemen, because it's been said, it really benifits, from extra rest. We will see.
[Reply]
Page 22 of 38
« First < 12202122 232432 > Last »
Up