Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 21 of 99
« First < 11192021 22233171 > Last »
General Discussion>Wristwatch collectors out there?
DrDubzz 10:09 PM 01-18-2010
I'm a sucker for the Submariner, great pictures, better watches
[Reply]
WildBlueSooner 01:48 AM 01-19-2010
Unless I missed it I have not seen any mention of any Sturhling watches...thoughts? My wife got me one for Christmas and I absolutely love it!
[Reply]
s15driftking 05:49 AM 01-19-2010
Originally Posted by WildBlueSooner:
Unless I missed it I have not seen any mention of any Sturhling watches...thoughts? My wife got me one for Christmas and I absolutely love it!
bought myself one for Xmas as well. Was impressed by the aesthetics and by the size.. but it was supposedly a PVD finish... its not. or at least ,it doesn't look like PVD.

Originally Posted by s15driftking:

[Reply]
mosesbotbol 06:16 AM 01-19-2010
Is it automatic? Looks anodized rather than PVD coated. I think we can PVD coat in different colors, but the finish looks flatter.
[Reply]
Giant & 49er Fan 07:53 AM 01-19-2010
Originally Posted by 0002S:

Great pics and beautiful pieces!
[Reply]
0002S 08:05 AM 01-19-2010
^thanks
[Reply]
wayner123 08:08 AM 01-19-2010
Is that a gunny strap? If so, how do you like it?
[Reply]
0002S 09:13 AM 01-19-2010
^Yes, I love it and his service / shipping is steller. The best part is that the strap can be sized to each idividuals wrist.
[Reply]
wayner123 09:15 AM 01-19-2010
^Yes, I love it and his service / shipping is steller. The best part is that the strap can be sized to each idividuals wrist.
I make custom straps as well. Have been doing so since 06. I was more wondering what you think of the particular strap. To me his straps look like a dog chewed them and spit them out. His stitching is awful. But that's my take on it from an experienced viewpoint. If you love it, that is all that matters.

How many custom straps have you tried?
[Reply]
0002S 09:50 AM 01-19-2010
Originally Posted by wayner123:
I make custom straps as well. Have been doing so since 06. I was more wondering what you think of the particular strap. To me his straps look like a dog chewed them and spit them out. His stitching is awful. But that's my take on it from an experienced viewpoint. If you love it, that is all that matters.

How many custom straps have you tried?
I bought this strap because of the worn "dog chewed...LOL" look. I also got it because of it's thickness + softness.

He seems to have other staps that are stiched better, but those are pics.

This is the only 100% custom strap I own, but I do own other expensive straps in skins.

Do you have a site for your straps?
[Reply]
e-man67 10:09 AM 01-19-2010
Word to the wise...do NOT buy an expensive watch without papers unless you are 100% certain of the source...I have a friend who bought a Sinn U1 rep and you cannot tell the difference...apparently they are coming from China and some dude is putting swiss Eta-2824's in them and selling them as reps...but if you didn't know it was a rep you would not be able to tell. I had an authentic U1 that I bought used for $1750 and it looked identical to this rep...ir crystal, bead blasting, smooth edges, bezel tightness, EXACT! Very scary.
[Reply]
s15driftking 11:19 AM 01-19-2010
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol:
Is it automatic? Looks anodized rather than PVD coated. I think we can PVD coat in different colors, but the finish looks flatter.
not auto,

In my opinion it does not look anodized, anodization produces a finish almost as flat as PVD. This looks like it is paint and clearcoat. I could be wrong.
[Reply]
wayner123 11:25 AM 01-19-2010
not auto,

In my opinion it does not look anodized, anodization produces a finish almost as flat as PVD. This looks like it is paint and clearcoat. I could be wrong.
I said it before, it looks ceramic to me. However, that would increase the price tenfold. You can polish PVD and there are also PVD processes in which the metal is not first sandblasted (to get that nice flat look) before PVD'ing. If you go to their website they give you more information on the PVD process they use. After reading I am leaning towards it's real PVD, just a polished version.
[Reply]
0002S 11:36 AM 01-19-2010
Originally Posted by e-man67:
Word to the wise...do NOT buy an expensive watch without papers unless you are 100% certain of the source...I have a friend who bought a Sinn U1 rep and you cannot tell the difference...apparently they are coming from China and some dude is putting swiss Eta-2824's in them and selling them as reps...but if you didn't know it was a rep you would not be able to tell. I had an authentic U1 that I bought used for $1750 and it looked identical to this rep...ir crystal, bead blasting, smooth edges, bezel tightness, EXACT! Very scary.
Sorta like some cigar lables....:-)
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 12:00 PM 01-19-2010
Originally Posted by e-man67:
Wow, that's crazy. There was a big deal in Biel a few years ago of similar. Someone robbed one of the Rolex assembly plants, steeling a lot cases. From there it's easy to fake a convincing watch. It's best to deal with trusted sources on something so costly. Most will never see the inside of their watch.

I've heard about employees taking a few parts at a time and assemble a watch over a year or so (at several companies). It would be "authentic" in sense until you send it to get repaired at the factory, lol...
[Reply]
gettysburgfreak 06:03 PM 01-19-2010
Went to Torneau in the Forum Shops in Las Vegas and literally walked around with my mouth open the entire time. Got to see pretty much every nice watch you could think of. I wish they would have let me put some on to get a few pictures but I can understand why they wouldn't want some 23 year old kid holding a $250,000 platinum Rolex.
[Reply]
s15driftking 06:24 PM 01-19-2010
Originally Posted by gettysburgfreak:
Went to Torneau in the Forum Shops in Las Vegas and literally walked around with my mouth open the entire time. Got to see pretty much every nice watch you could think of. I wish they would have let me put some on to get a few pictures but I can understand why they wouldn't want some 23 year old kid holding a $250,000 platinum Rolex.

I visited Torneau in Chicago, I was stunned with their selection. I can't imagine what was offered in the vegas torneau!!!
[Reply]
DrDubzz 07:52 PM 01-19-2010
Jealous of both of your, the Torneau in Dallas is only so-so

Although I found my RW there
[Reply]
gettysburgfreak 08:31 PM 01-19-2010
I visited Torneau in Chicago, I was stunned with their selection. I can't imagine what was offered in the vegas torneau!!!

The selection was absurd. They had anything and everything you could think of. Seemed like the average price of a watch in there was 40gs.
[Reply]
DrDubzz 10:38 PM 01-19-2010
Originally Posted by gettysburgfreak:
The selection was absurd. They had anything and everything you could think of. Seemed like the average price of a watch in there was 40gs.

[Reply]
Page 21 of 99
« First < 11192021 22233171 > Last »
Up