Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 21 of 38
« First < 11192021 222331 > Last »
Coffee Discussion>What are you roasting today?
Blak Smyth 05:55 AM 02-27-2012
Originally Posted by Chainsaw13:
Thanks Mark, I'm reading right now about how much to roast each batch. Next time I'm going it increase the bean weight and see how it performs. The videos on SM's talk about just under half a cup, which is what my weights were at. But everything I'm reading says use 2/3 to 3/4 cup, or up to 4oz.

Temps are still low here, in the mid 30's to low 40's. Even with the propane heater going in the garage, it still doesn't get that warm. Guess I should do something about all those gaps in the walls. :-)
The Nesco requires almost 30 mins to roast a small batch, it has to be the most time consuming roaster out there.
[Reply]
BSB 09:47 AM 02-27-2012
El Salvador Las Mercedes Pepinal 1, from Klatch. Roasted up pretty nice, to just FC.
[Reply]
Blak Smyth 10:09 AM 02-27-2012
Originally Posted by BSB:
El Salvador Las Mercedes Pepinal 1, from Klatch. Roasted up pretty nice, to just FC.
Sounds delightful!
[Reply]
ApexAZ 10:52 AM 02-27-2012
Thanks Mark, I'm reading right now about how much to roast each batch. Next time I'm going it increase the bean weight and see how it performs. The videos on SM's talk about just under half a cup, which is what my weights were at. But everything I'm reading says use 2/3 to 3/4 cup, or up to 4oz.

Temps are still low here, in the mid 30's to low 40's. Even with the propane heater going in the garage, it still doesn't get that warm. Guess I should do something about all those gaps in the walls. :-)
I'm sure it depends on the popper. I think the idea is just to keep the beans moving.
[Reply]
BSB 10:59 AM 02-27-2012
Originally Posted by Blak Smyth:
Sounds delightful!
I'll let ya know on Wed :-)
[Reply]
Chainsaw13 07:31 PM 02-27-2012
Just got my tracking number from SM's. :-)
[Reply]
x man 07:42 AM 02-28-2012
I`ve been using my Westbend Poppery 2 for 2 yrs now.
I put in 6 to 8 ozs. in a measuring cup, depending on the density of the beans.
It was 60 in Philly yesterday, i roasted 1 1/2 lbs. of Ethiopian Yir.
[Reply]
BSB 09:34 AM 02-28-2012
There is a great, peanutty aroma, coming from the beans today, very excited, very excited! :-)
[Reply]
ApexAZ 09:49 AM 02-28-2012
I roasted some El Salvador Majahual -Tablon La Montana to Full City + on Saturday. I can't wait to drink it. Just now finishing up the last of the Satpura Fold blend.
[Reply]
Mr B 11:45 AM 02-28-2012
Try blending it w/ about 2/3 Papua New Guinea at FC/FC+. It makes a great blend
[Reply]
ApexAZ 05:44 PM 02-29-2012
Roasted the second half of my Ethiopia Limu Jimma - Alaga Sekala. Was shooting for city + but it looks more like full city I guess.

[Reply]
BSB 09:32 AM 03-01-2012
I see a few beans I'd pull out of there, but that's just me.
Roasted some Guatemala Genuine Antigua Covadonga to FC. From Klatch.
[Reply]
ApexAZ 05:11 PM 03-01-2012
I see a few beans I'd pull out of there, but that's just me.
Roasted some Guatemala Genuine Antigua Covadonga to FC. From Klatch.
There were even lighter ones I chucked. The others I wasn't quite sure on.
[Reply]
Mr B 05:13 PM 03-01-2012
Ethiopians tend to have a range of colors. It is good to get rid of those true quakers though. The Real light tan ones.
[Reply]
BSB 06:45 PM 03-01-2012
I'm just very picky :-)
[Reply]
icehog3 07:03 PM 03-01-2012
smitty.
[Reply]
ApexAZ 10:33 PM 03-01-2012
Originally Posted by icehog3:
smitty.
non sequitur
[Reply]
Blak Smyth 06:30 AM 03-02-2012
Originally Posted by ApexAZ:
Roasted the second half of my Ethiopia Limu Jimma - Alaga Sekala. Was shooting for city + but it looks more like full city I guess.

Looks good Brian, that one bean catches my eye though. You know the one. If it is anything like my camera phone it doesn't look like that in real life though. :-)
[Reply]
BSB 09:00 AM 03-02-2012
Yeah, that one bean in paticulure, you see it, right? :-) :-)
[Reply]
Mr B 09:33 AM 03-02-2012

Here's what I do:
Before starting the Air Popper, put in in a box that is just a few inches larger in diameter than the popper. The height of the box should come up to just under the throat of the popper. Start your regular roast cycle. once you notice that the roaster does not seem to be getting any hotter (or as hot as you want) plug in another popper and have it blowing into the box that the first popper is in. This additional hot air will increase the temp very nicely.
Without this, my poppers during the winter time, can barley get the beans to first crack.

Here is my roast cycle:
Start the first popper. Let it run for 6-8 minutes. Plug in the additional popper and get it up to first crack. Once first crack gets going I unplug the second popper and let first crack ride for a minute or two.
Then I plug back in the second popper and bring it up to whatever level I want it to finish at.

The second popper can just be any ol style popper. I use an easy to find, cheap one that has the vent at the bottom. All you are using it for is extra hot air.
:-)
[Reply]
Page 21 of 38
« First < 11192021 222331 > Last »
Up