Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 20 of 82
« First < 10181920 21223070 > Last »
Sports>NHL '11 - '12 Thread
icehog3 07:27 PM 12-14-2011
Originally Posted by yourchoice:
The Flyers are playing the Wild tonight? :-)

:-)
Didn't check today's standings. :-)

How was that 1st Wild goal not icing? BS. :-)
Ahbroody 08:36 PM 12-14-2011
Originally Posted by Bruins Fan:
Don Cherry had it right it's all the pads the players wear hard plastic like armor, years back the pads were much softer, elbow pads were soft rubber now if you get a forearm shiver you will get your head taken off.
I like Grapes, in someways he has a point and in someways he is too much of an old school guy.

Actually elbow pads changed in 2003 because back in the 2002 playoffs when Mclaren (a Bruin at the time, shocking I know) destroyed Montreals Richard Zednicks face with the hard plastic capped elbow pads. It was a shocking hit. I still have a pair of Jofas which have the plastic. I remember them being banned the next year 2003 season. Elbows are definatley less dangerous then 10 years ago and most are rubberized caps now. Unless the league changed the ban and I missed it. If you think a player who stands infront of the net or a dman who blocks shots wants to wear soft elbows I would ask you to do it first. One Chara slapshot and your career is over.

As for the shoulder pads I agree caps should be shrunk a little, but no way the hard plastic inserts should be remroved from the body of the pads unless you want some players to die. The composite sticks used, the training of the players, the increased talent size strength of the players, the different style of the game with guys standing infront of the net because the goalies equipment is so much bigger and the goalies are so.much better, the emphasis on shot blocking, I am just scratching the surface all make todays game considerably faster and more dangerous then 20-15 years ago. Shrinking pads would have lethal consequeces in todays NHL or cause a complete change in the style of game now played, for the worse I would argue.

Its not as simple as changing the pads. Unless you want to completely change the style of game. The same style the Bs used to win the cup. An extremely physical aggressive style of play. If you think they will play that way with pads from 20 years ago I got a bridge for you.
icehog3 12:08 AM 12-15-2011
Originally Posted by icehog3:
#1 Vs. #2 (points wise) tonight on Versus. Let's Go Hawks!!!
The Flyers are playing the Wild tonight? :-)

Didn't check today's standings. :-)
Quick, look again! :-) :-)
yourchoice 06:20 AM 12-15-2011
I figured I only had a small window to opportunity to correct you! :-)
Wanger 07:34 AM 12-15-2011
Dammit!

Oh well, at least they pulled a point out of it. Didn't see much of the game, but know that Backstrom is generally not that great in SO situations.

I'm glad this rivalry is being revived routinely in the future. :-) Bring back the Norris Division. :-)
Ahbroody 09:23 AM 12-15-2011
Thought both the Hawks Wild, and Bruins Sens were great games. Love NHL GCL.
357 10:27 AM 12-15-2011
I agree that skater's pads need to be looked at but, the pads I really want to see change are goalie pads. Shrink them to half the size they are now and the sore sheets would look like those of the late 80s.

I'm sure with current technology they can protect goalies without those giant pads. I mean they've changed a billion things, no 2-line pass rule, shrank the neutral zone, expanded the blue lines, moved the nets twice, etc, all to increase scoring yet they barely tweaked goalie pad sizes.
yourchoice 07:01 PM 12-15-2011
Originally Posted by Eleven:
Getting real tired of all the concussions :-)

I don't even think this list is complete:

Pronger
Pronger out for the season

I did not see that coming. :-)
icehog3 07:06 PM 12-15-2011
Pronger out for the season

I did not see that coming. :-)
That's what Pronger said about that puck, Joel. :-)
yourchoice 07:29 PM 12-15-2011
That's what Pronger said about that puck, Joel. :-)
Well...ain't that a :-)!!!

Ahbroody 09:44 PM 12-15-2011
the Sharks are sucking again. So much talent apparently not enough heart still.
E.J. 09:01 AM 12-16-2011
Originally Posted by Ahbroody:
Well, I am just happy I fell asleep at the end of the second.... Appears the Avs fell asleep with me....:-)

GO AVS!
icehog3 01:26 PM 12-16-2011
Originally Posted by Ahbroody:
I fell asleep with the Sharks down by 2......wha' happen? :-)
Ahbroody 07:28 PM 12-16-2011
Yeah they found their sack. They are still blowing and need to get it together. Nice explosion of offense though.
Mr.Maduro 09:13 PM 12-16-2011
Awesome ceremony for Niedermayer tonight in Jersey.
icehog3 10:42 PM 12-16-2011
Hawks tied for #1 in the NHL.

baldanders 12:00 AM 12-17-2011
Hawks tied for #1 in the NHL.

Have Hossa in my fantasy hockey he's been a beast for me!!!!
taltos 11:31 AM 12-17-2011
The Bruins are not in a good mood this afternoon.11:00 in the first and they are up 3 - 0. One of the Flyers made the mistake of pissing off Chara and paid for it. I suspect that Marchand and Lucic will also have playtime later since one of the referees was already warning Marchand to behave. Should be another fun 50 minutes.:-)
icehog3 02:05 PM 12-17-2011
Wish I had been off to watch the Bruins game, boxscore looks pretty crazy, Paul.
Bruins Fan 02:40 PM 12-17-2011
Bruins blowout Flyers, Thomas throws a shutout now sitting on top of the Eastern Conference.
This team is getting stronger all the time.
Page 20 of 82
« First < 10181920 21223070 > Last »
Up