Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 20 of 38
« First < 10181920 212230 > Last »
Coffee Discussion>What are you roasting today?
Blak Smyth 08:57 PM 02-21-2012
Originally Posted by Mr B:
Are you using Avery Labels? How well are they sticking?
Just using some label sheets. Works great.
[Reply]
BSB 09:56 PM 02-21-2012
They look awesome!
[Reply]
BSB 10:12 AM 02-25-2012
Yesterday I roasted some Colombia Tolima Felix Guzman Microlot. My daughter is helping at a wedding show, we are doing tomorrow, and asked for something good from South America. This oughta do the trick :-)
[Reply]
Chainsaw13 10:34 AM 02-25-2012
How bad is it roasting indoor with a popper? I just got my stuff and going to give it a shot, but going to need to roast inside. Too cold out to do in the garage. Also, my range hood doesn't vent outside, so I'm thinking an open window or two if it gets too bad.
[Reply]
BSB 10:59 AM 02-25-2012
Originally Posted by Chainsaw13:
How bad is it roasting indoor with a popper? I just got my stuff and going to give it a shot, but going to need to roast inside. Too cold out to do in the garage. Also, my range hood doesn't vent outside, so I'm thinking an open window or two if it gets too bad.
I'm thinking, you are gonna have smoke issues. Might wanna turn off your smoke alarms, before you start :-)
[Reply]
BSB 11:00 AM 02-25-2012
Too cold to roast in the garage, but you are gonna open some windows?? :-)
[Reply]
Chainsaw13 11:24 AM 02-25-2012
Originally Posted by BSB:
Too cold to roast in the garage, but you are gonna open some windows?? :-)
Will a small couple ounce roast produce any smoke? Obviously iy depends on how dark of roast i go. That's what I'm concerned about. Opening the windows will just be to clear it out. I think in the garage it won't be able to get hot enough with the ambient temp being so low.
[Reply]
BSB 12:17 PM 02-25-2012
I roast in the garage all the time. But, I'm not using a popper.
[Reply]
Chainsaw13 12:20 PM 02-25-2012
Originally Posted by BSB:
I roast in the garage all the time. But, I'm not using a popper.
Well I got a heater on in here, probably in the mid 40's. Going to give it a go!
[Reply]
ApexAZ 12:41 PM 02-25-2012
Put it by a window with a fan blowing out?
[Reply]
Chainsaw13 01:27 PM 02-25-2012
Did my first two roasts out in the garage. Easy peasy lemon squeezy. I'll continue to explore this and see the different results I get.
First roast was 2.2oz of a Mexican Chiapas

I'm guessing since the popper was cold, it took longer for first crack, about 7-8 minutes. I kept it going until the 12 min mark and achieved this color. I"m using a Popaire 2 popper. I don't think this has the wattage of the Poppery II's. Combine that with the cooler ambient temp and I think that's why it took so long to reach this stage. The color is actually a bit darker than what it shows in the pic.

Did another batch, 2.3oz of Burundi Gacokwe. This one hit first crack at just over 5 minutes probably due to the popper being warmed up. I took this one to 9 min total.

We'll see how they taste tomorrow, then start tweaking the roasting times. If the taste of the beans themselves is any indication, I'm going to like them both.
[Reply]
BSB 01:32 PM 02-25-2012
They look good. Extended roasting times can lead to "baked" rather than roasted beans, not a good thing. I always pre-heat my roaster, when it is cold.
[Reply]
Chainsaw13 02:14 PM 02-25-2012
Thanks, I'll definitely do that next time. I just tried another batch of some Columbian Los Naranjos to see if I could get it darker. Took it to the 15 minute mark and it wasn't getting anywhere. Maybe as the outside temps increase it'll work better. But still impressed how easy it is for such little investment. I'm hooked, but then I knew I would be.
[Reply]
Chainsaw13 07:38 AM 02-26-2012
Ohh, another slippery slope I slide...

Just placed an order with SM's. 1lb of the Monkey Blend, the 4lb sampler, and then about 30 bags of various sizes. I can see passing out some of this to friends/family.
[Reply]
CigarSquid 08:10 AM 02-26-2012

Just placed an order with SM's. 1lb of the Monkey Blend, the 4lb sampler, and then about 30 bags of various sizes. I can see passing out some of this to friends/family.
I have been waiting to pull the trigger on some of those as well.:-)

What am I waiting for? No clue. I need to just order them.
[Reply]
Blak Smyth 05:04 PM 02-26-2012
Roasted the Popua New Ginuea and the Costa Rica today.
[Reply]
MarkinAZ 06:29 PM 02-26-2012
Got a couple of half bags of El Salvador de Santa Rita and Ethiopia FTO Sidama that need to be roasted. Guess I need to get my butt in gear!

First roast was 2.2oz of a Mexican Chiapas
Did another batch, 2.3oz of Burundi Gacokwe.
Those are nice looking color on both varieties Bob. I generally use about 3.5 oz of green beans per batch. Depending on the variety, I usually obtain a first crack around 2:44 min, and usually pull the plug on the roasting cycle at 7:00 min for the cool down. Roasting on the patio out back, air temp is usually around 60*-80* during the roast cycle...

Just placed an order with SM's. 1lb of the Monkey Blend...
Nice bean. You should enjoy the Monkey Blend...

[Reply]
Chainsaw13 06:42 PM 02-26-2012
Thanks Mark, I'm reading right now about how much to roast each batch. Next time I'm going it increase the bean weight and see how it performs. The videos on SM's talk about just under half a cup, which is what my weights were at. But everything I'm reading says use 2/3 to 3/4 cup, or up to 4oz.

Temps are still low here, in the mid 30's to low 40's. Even with the propane heater going in the garage, it still doesn't get that warm. Guess I should do something about all those gaps in the walls. :-)
[Reply]
MarkinAZ 06:46 PM 02-26-2012
Thanks Mark, I'm reading right now about how much to roast each batch. Next time I'm going it increase the bean weight and see how it performs. The videos on SM's talk about just under half a cup, which is what my weights were at. But everything I'm reading says use 2/3 to 3/4 cup, or up to 4oz.

Temps are still low here, in the mid 30's to low 40's. Even with the propane heater going in the garage, it still doesn't get that warm. Guess I should do something about all those gaps in the walls. :-)
Some Touch N' Foam Max Expanding Sealant and Duct Tape?:-)

[Reply]
physiognomy 08:17 PM 02-26-2012
We had the roaster out tonight... My wife roasted her first batch of beans on the Behmor & they came out very well. She stopped a 1/2lb batch of Ethiopia Natural Sidamo Ardi right at City+. Very strong chocolate and 'blueberry' aromas... I can't wait to try them tomorrow.
[Reply]
Page 20 of 38
« First < 10181920 212230 > Last »
Up