Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 20 of 26
« First < 10181920 2122 > Last »
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Waxing Moon Humidor Thread
KidRock 08:44 PM 05-09-2011
Originally Posted by Nathan King:
I'll PM you my address so that you know where to send that Makore & Macassar Ebony. :-)

I LOOOOVE the look of it. :-)
+1
[Reply]
WaxingMoon 03:33 PM 05-11-2011
I like making cigar band lids.... Somebody on this forum actually smoked all these.... and it wasn't me.... About 50/50 CC's & other... but, they're all top notch!

[Reply]
WaxingMoon 04:59 PM 05-14-2011
I have a few rolling off.....

OLS's is just about done.... just need to put the finish on it.... but she's looking good! This one is Mahogany Lined!

This little gem is 12" x 9" x 6" and is African Mahogany.... She's available...

[Reply]
WaxingMoon 05:00 PM 05-14-2011
And this one is finished up and off the bench and in the hands of the new owner....

[Reply]
OLS 05:16 PM 05-14-2011
If you recall, I was too cheap to have a finish applied and we quoted it out.
[Reply]
Thaplumbr 08:38 PM 05-14-2011
Gorgeous work:-)
[Reply]
OldDirty 10:36 PM 05-14-2011
Originally Posted by WaxingMoon:
And this one is finished up and off the bench and in the hands of the new owner....

I love this one :-)
[Reply]
mfarre03 05:18 AM 05-18-2011
WOW, so do I, how many sticks will the checkered one hold? Beautiful, looks pretty complex.
[Reply]
WaxingMoon 05:28 PM 05-19-2011
I have a lot going on in the shop.... I will have about 4 coming off, hopefully tomorrow and I'm working on a couple of checkerboard lids for the prototypes.... Spent most of the day working with spanish cedar.... a lot of cutting and gluing going on... trays, trays and more trays.....

I also have a few jewelry boxes in the wings... and I had made an extra.. and my girlfriend asked me why couldn't I make a humidor out of one... I've always liked this jewelry box and I pretty much discounted ever making it in to a humidor because the lid wasn't what I was use to, and... I guess I just didn't think through it enough....

So... after playing around a little bit... I have another smaller desktop to add to the mix... This will be part of the "Folly Rocks Collection"...

It's 15-1/2" x 8-1/2" x about 3-1/2" high... 4-1/2 if you count the tip top of the beveled lid.....

Humidor interior dimensions are 13-1/2" x 6-1/2" x 2".... I loaded it up and in the photos where they are lying horizontal, I got 30 cigars - some long, some shorts.... in the photo where they are vertical, I got 32. Plus a bead stick in both....

The wood is Primavera & Goncalo Alves

Tight little box!

Anyways.... whatcha think?

She's for sale!

[Reply]
longknocker 08:26 PM 05-19-2011
Beautiful, Ed!:-):-)
[Reply]
Kinky_yk 08:37 AM 05-20-2011
I do like the low, wide shape of that one. I prefer that for desktops over the more cube like shapes, not sure why, just seems classy like it should be sitting beside a decanter of scotch and a many leather bound books.
[Reply]
OLS 08:40 AM 05-20-2011
I am inclined to agree. I like a desktop that is what it should be...a place to put smokes that are in imminent
danger of being SMOKED. I strongly believe in coolers or other mass storage devices for your actual stash.
So a real desktop should hold 50 or less smokes. BUT, being as this is basically a jewelry box, it is kind of sad
seeing that big ol slab of spanish cedar in there, although I know it HAS to be there for it to properly function.
But I agree, a desktop should be low-slung and elegant, not a big monument.
[Reply]
jimmyk26 08:57 AM 05-20-2011
Nice, I was just thinking about how I almost never go underneath my top trays in my desktops. This new low model is pretty slick.
[Reply]
WaxingMoon 04:08 PM 05-20-2011
...Another one for the "Folly Rocks Collection".... She's starting to look like something now, so here's a sneak peek.

My client had some ideas on what he wanted.... He wanted THICK ebony matched up with Bird's Eye Maple.... And a drawer.... but, he didn't want the drawer to be obvious in the ebony.... didn't want to ruin the classic ebony look with a drawer cut in the middle of it..... So.... got the old grey matter working on this one....

Here's a picture of the base.... looking at it from the front. Yep, the bottom panel is a drawer.

The top has a groove routed in it....waiting for a cigar band trim... And, we're going to go with a two way mirror for the glass center.... You'll be able to see the cigars when she's closed... and then when you open it, you'll see their reflection!

That.... coupled with the blacker than black, hand forged hinges, handles & lock.... this ought to turn out to be a pretty bad ass looking humidor (with any luck)!!!

[Reply]
Kinky_yk 05:12 PM 05-20-2011
I think the cigar band trim around the glass will look great, give it some colour and a different look, the two way mirror is another great idea, I'm really interested to see this one finished.
[Reply]
Swif 10:12 PM 05-23-2011
That drawer is sick!!!

4 more days and I will receive my beast!.
[Reply]
longknocker 04:05 AM 05-24-2011
Great Idea, Ed!:-):-)
[Reply]
WaxingMoon 02:50 PM 05-24-2011
This (unclaimed) one isn't done yet... but I just had to show the wood.... This is Ambrosia Maple & Curly Walnut.... I'm calling it "The Storm".....

I like the knot on the left side.... it looks like a bullet and then the curl on the walnut looks like the shock waves.... I've had that piece of wood laying around the shop for a couple years.... knowing it would look good with something.... Whatcha Think?

[Reply]
Sancho Fuente 03:46 PM 05-24-2011
^ The grain on that lid is amazing! :-)
[Reply]
Kinky_yk 04:17 PM 05-24-2011
Wow, what a great piece of wood, and an excellent design choice to show it off too.
[Reply]
Page 20 of 26
« First < 10181920 2122 > Last »
Up