Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 2
< 12
General Discussion>Stimulus Check
Da Klugs 04:43 PM 02-10-2009
Same as last time for me. :-)
[Reply]
RevSmoke 04:47 PM 02-10-2009
I love our governor here in WI, he is so wise and wonderful (NOT).

He talks about what we need to do in WI to entice new firms to settle in our fair state. And then, in the next sentence, he talks about the fact that we need to raise taxes on corporations because of shortfalls.

Duh!!! Do you hear yourself talking? What is so funny, is my 14 year old pointed out the inconsistency to me when he heard it. Why didn't I think of it? Well, when our illustrious governor is speaking, I usally change the channel because he usually causes this reaction in me... :-)
[Reply]
Tio Gato 04:57 PM 02-10-2009
I'd settle for a statement signed by Congress that acknowledges that tax revenues are OUR MONEY and not some personal piggy bank for them to raid.:-)
[Reply]
butterB 12:48 AM 02-11-2009
Originally Posted by smitdavi:
Mine would def go to paying off a credit card
That's what you're NOT supposed to do.
[Reply]
ir13 01:28 AM 02-11-2009
Originally Posted by butterB:
That's what you're NOT supposed to do.
But that is exactly what the smart person is going to do when they get the money.
[Reply]
ucla695 06:36 AM 02-11-2009
Originally Posted by Tombstone:
I would rather have a tax CUT.
:-) We already pay way too much in taxes and a bigger break would be greatly appreciated.
[Reply]
RevSmoke 06:53 AM 02-11-2009
Permanent tax cuts would be great. That'd be a great start to the economy. Or course, it'd be nice if credit card companies used their noggin a bit, there are too many people out there with no common sense and getting themselves in too deep w/regards to credit. Then, they cannot figure out why they cannot pay of credit cards and other things.
[Reply]
themoneycollector 07:09 AM 02-11-2009
Originally Posted by Tio Gato:
I'd settle for a statement signed by Congress that acknowledges that tax revenues are OUR MONEY and not some personal piggy bank for them to raid.:-)
Even the acknowledgement would be too much to ask

However, back to topic, any word on new stimulus checks? I have some bills to pay.
[Reply]
BC-Axeman 07:12 AM 02-11-2009
Not really a tax CUT (as it's designed to be revenue neutral) is the
Fair Tax proposal.
It takes power away from Washington DC, so both parties don't like it.
This would end the recession and start a huge economic growth cycle before it even took hold. Too smart of a thing for them to do, but it hasn't gone away.
[Reply]
Tombstone 08:20 AM 02-11-2009
Originally Posted by BC-Axeman:
Not really a tax CUT (as it's designed to be revenue neutral) is the
Fair Tax proposal.
It takes power away from Washington DC, so both parties don't like it.
This would end the recession and start a huge economic growth cycle before it even took hold. Too smart of a thing for them to do, but it hasn't gone away.
What about a flat tax that is not progressive?
[Reply]
BC-Axeman 09:47 AM 02-11-2009
Originally Posted by Tombstone:
What about a flat tax that is not progressive?
That would work for fairness, but the Fair Tax plan would repatriate and bring in new foreign investment very quickly.
We are talking about stimulus on a countrywide scale that would take place even before the plan was fully executed.
[Reply]
Zoomschwortz 11:35 AM 02-11-2009
That would work for fairness, but the Fair Tax plan would repatriate and bring in new foreign investment very quickly.
We are talking about stimulus on a countrywide scale that would take place even before the plan was fully executed.
Instead of giving away money we don't have, how about across the board the first $100,000 you earn is tax free and a flat tax of 30% or 40% for every dollar earned above that, period, no deductions, no nothing.

The bottom 50% of tax payers pay such a small amount of the total taxes collected that it wouldn't make much difference in what is collected, yet would make a very big difference in what the people could put back into the economy.

We wouldn't be throwing good money after bad (over and over again) and won't be funding special interest groups and social programs by putting this country (and our children) into a deeper dept.

Let the people who work and the businesses who put people to work keep more of the money that they have earned instead of putting a greater tax burden on us. If is done, the country will recover at far faster rate than if we let the government spend money we don't have, on new never ending social programs that only increase our dependance on the government. When we come to depend on the government for everything, we won't be any different than the citizens communist Russia.

Take care.
Ken
[Reply]
fxpose 11:49 AM 02-11-2009
None. I don't want a hand out.
[Reply]
Stogieboy 11:51 AM 02-11-2009
I hope they send me some of my money back. It's not a hand out. It's my money and I want it back. I would prefer they just take less, but thats not gonna happen anytime soon.
[Reply]
BC-Axeman 12:01 PM 02-11-2009
Originally Posted by Zoomschwortz:
Instead of giving away money we don't have, how about across the board the first $100,000 you earn is tax free and a flat tax of 30% or 40% for every dollar earned above that, period, no deductions, no nothing.

The bottom 50% of tax payers pay such a small amount of the total taxes collected that it wouldn't make much difference in what is collected, yet would make a very big difference in what the people could put back into the economy.

We wouldn't be throwing good money after bad (over and over again) and won't be funding special interest groups and social programs by putting this country (and our children) into a deeper dept.

Let the people who work and the businesses who put people to work keep more of the money that they have earned instead of putting a greater tax burden on us. If is done, the country will recover at far faster rate than if we let the government spend money we don't have, on new never ending social programs that only increase our dependance on the government. When we come to depend on the government for everything, we won't be any different than the citizens communist Russia.

Take care.
Ken
We shouldn't worry about haw best for the government to get the most money it can from the wealth creators but how best to create more wealth to collect from. Everybody should pay something or they don't have a stake in the system. If more than half the people don't pay anything then they only need to use their majority to take more from the people who do have to pay. We are at that point now, it goes downhill from here.
[Reply]
SD Beerman 12:07 PM 02-11-2009
Originally Posted by RevSmoke:
Stimulate the economy - shut down the government for 12 months.

AND, check the back taxes on all the senators serving in congress, what will be made there can probably pay off a small portion of the national debt.
Couldn't have said it any better.
[Reply]
RGD. 01:45 PM 02-11-2009
Originally Posted by RevSmoke:
. . .

AND, check the back taxes on all the senators serving in congress, what will be made there can probably pay off a small portion of the national debt.

That I would like to see. Little over a year ago I had a 5 year audit. Three years were fine - two were not. The way they came after me after the audit to collect that money was like I was public enemy number 1.

I say do the same to those senators - :-)

Ron
[Reply]
Zoomschwortz 02:37 PM 02-11-2009
If more than half the people don't pay anything then they only need to use their majority to take more from the people who do have to pay. We are at that point now, it goes downhill from here.
I would say a bigger problem lies in those who won't work, that feel they are entitled to the money earned by those who do and then only encouraged to ask for more because the government feels it is Robin Hood. Well at least they are getting the Hood part right:-)

The economy will turn around faster if those who work are allowed to keep more of what they earn instead of the government taking from those who work and give it to those who won't.

Take care.
Ken
[Reply]
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Up