Sports>Team that wins 100-0 apologizes
Prefy 04:34 PM 01-23-2009
Originally Posted by tobii3:

Your coaching skills STINK!!!!
:-)
[Reply]
tobii3 05:53 PM 01-23-2009
No need to start a war, Prefy.

there is a reason we have CHAMPIONS....why we have HEROES....Why we have ROLE MODELS.....Because they WON.
[Reply]
Prefy 06:00 PM 01-23-2009
No need to start a war, Prefy.

there is a reason we have CHAMPIONS....why we have HEROES....Why we have ROLE MODELS.....Because they WON.
I'm sure our heros will come from minor soccer blowouts:-)
[Reply]
tobii3 07:11 PM 01-23-2009
lemme throw a little wisdom your way....

Originally Posted by :
The final leg, called "the anchor," had America's Jason Lezak going up against the star of the French team. At 32, Lezak was the grand old man of the American relay team. After winning bronze and silver the last two Olympics, he said he was tired of losing.He put forth an incredible effort and touched the wall a millisecond before the Frenchman.
AND WHAT DID HE DO???

He was TIRED of losing.....I think somebody actually LEARNED something here....wait....is it possible?? to LEARN from LOSING??? Why, that's just unbelievable, that can't happen, it would make too much sense, he couldn't possibly LEARN SOMETHING from LOSING???

That is WHY we have WINNERS and LOSERS
[Reply]
Genetic Defect 07:17 PM 01-23-2009
HA! I'm winning at losing
[Reply]
Mr.Maduro 05:55 AM 01-24-2009
Originally Posted by Big Vito:
whats this apology crap? did Patrick apologize when he whooped your a$$? :-)
[Reply]
md4958 06:36 AM 01-24-2009

What kind of coach are you??

A bit uncalled for and disrespectful in my opinion.

Do you HONESTLY think that kids will learn a lesson by declaring everyone a "winner"??

There HAS to be a Loser. Simple fact of life.
I completely agree. HOWEVER, is it necessary to embarass the other team? If you beat out somebody for a promotion at work, would you go up to them and "ha-ha" in thier face?? Nothing like kicking a man when hes down.

Also, for the winning team, what sort of satisfaction do they get from decimating a team of kids with learning disabilities? Can they be proud of that fact??

For me the greatest wins are not the ones where you win easily, but the wins that you have to work your ass off for. THOSE are the games you remember.
[Reply]
ChINaMaN1472 02:59 AM 01-26-2009
The people who know winning best are the losers.

What's not told are other factors around the team(s).

Has the winning team constantly been doing blowouts? If so, then what's the big deal about 100-0? Basketball is about scoring consistently, once there's a huge deficit in points it just means the other team is that much better. If not, then it's a random fluke where someone had a good day and someone had a bad day. **** days happen, get over it.

Has the losing team constantly lost by blowouts? If they've lost every game like this, then you have a bad team; practice harder and do whatever it takes if basketball is a passion for the players. I didn't see Albert Einstein "give up" because some theory didn't work, or have another great mind give up his Nobel Prize because Einstein couldn't figure out some other theory. If it was a fluke, well like before, get over it.

It's terrible that schools dumb down everything due to PC-parents. You pass kids that should fail, you take away victories from those who earn it and give freebies to those who don't deserve it. If this keeps up, I'm scared of what the future may entail.
[Reply]
Gone Dave 06:23 AM 01-26-2009
Well lets stir the pot, :-) the winning coach was fired yesterday:-)
Its like a soap opera.. Yes I would hate to be on the losing team, but I would just say they handed our as's to us.:-) I agree it's a hard call, but I tell my son everytime he wins"it's good to win, but SOMETIMES you lose."
and when I beat him I say " it stinks to lose, but what can you learn from it that will help you next time? Loser" :-):-)
[Reply]
ucla695 07:34 AM 01-26-2009
Yep, he was fired. Here's some more info.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/preps...ch-fired_N.htm
[Reply]
md4958 07:42 AM 01-26-2009
Originally Posted by Gone Dave:
Well lets stir the pot, :-) the winning coach was fired yesterday:-)
Thats just ridiculous.
[Reply]
RevSmoke 08:51 AM 01-26-2009
A couple things.
1) Why were two teams of obviously vastly different student populations, doing in the same league? And, if there was such obvious differences, and this was brought out by the fact that this team has not won a game in the last three years, what were they doing on the same court?

2) I have coached numerous sports in the last 25 years. The best example I can give is the 12-0 drubbing my team (local youth soccer league for 11-14 year olds) delivered this last season in soccer. When the score got to 5-0, I rotated the line-up with the following instructions, "If you have scored this season (it was our 3rd game), you cannot take a shot on goal today." Then, we proceeded to get the remaining seven players on the team who had gone without a goal, to get their first.

It ws not so much out of pity for the other team, as I saw it as an opportunity to get some of my players the opportunity they might never get against the superior teams we'd play later. I used it as a practice/scrimmage opportunity to get the team to do some other things. It was amazing how a couple players, who were some of my better forwards became better team players that day - learning to pass. It stood us in good stead when we played tougher teams and they learned to key on the better players - and they knew that they could pass and someone else might have a better opportunity to score, and did.

While I hate to see such lopsided scores in any sport, kids also need to learn that not everything is going to be given them. They will apply for jobs, and the better candidate will get the job. They are not always going to get their own way. And, when they fall on their backside (as they all will at some point), they will need to shake the dust off and get out their and try again.

Here's another thought. Maybe this school ought not field a basketball team if all they can do is get beaten so bad. Of course, losing does build character. Of course, how you win exposes character.
[Reply]
Kreth 08:59 AM 01-26-2009
Originally Posted by RevSmoke:
While I hate to see such lopsided scores in any sport, kids also need to learn that not everything is going to be given them. They will apply for jobs, and the better candidate will get the job. They are not always going to get their own way. And, when they fall on their backside (as they all will at some point), they will need to shake the dust off and get out their and try again.
I think it's going to get worse. You have parents suing coaches now when their kids get cut. In a few years, we'll start seeing lawsuits when these entitled little brats get passed over for a job opportunity. :-)
[Reply]
physiognomy 09:05 AM 01-26-2009
...What kind of coach are you?? ... Your coaching skills STINK!!!!
I would suggest thinking before posting in the future... Very poor form making such rude & disrespectful comments towards another brother without the benefit of any more information. Maybe you don't agree with someone else's methods, but you certainly aren't winning any 'coach of the year' awards given your attitude.
[Reply]
tobii3 09:05 AM 01-26-2009
Did anyone catch THIS snippet??

Originally Posted by :
Dallas Academy has eight girls on its varsity team and about 20 girls in its high school. It is winless over the last four seasons
Two questions -

1 - What were the scores of THOSE games???

2 - Which coach got fired again??

[Reply]
Kreth 09:17 AM 01-26-2009
Looks like the winning coach only had 8 girls on his team as well. They can only run the clock for so long before they have to shoot. What were they supposed to do, intentionally miss?
[Reply]
Genetic Defect 09:57 AM 01-26-2009
I think they should close the school
[Reply]
ChINaMaN1472 11:42 AM 01-27-2009
Ridiculous.

You do something you're supposed to do (win) and get fired for it. Let's baby the next generation even more and just GIVE them college degrees.
[Reply]
tobii3 02:14 PM 01-27-2009
Originally Posted by physiognomy:
I would suggest thinking before posting in the future... Very poor form making such rude & disrespectful comments towards another brother without the benefit of any more information. Maybe you don't agree with someone else's methods, but you certainly aren't winning any 'coach of the year' awards given your attitude.
And if you would READ what I posted instead of what everyone has cut n pasted, you would understand, rather than jumping on the bandwagon halfa$$ed.....

Originally Posted by Lord of Wu:
I've been a coach (soccer) and I've put restrictions on who can score and set up more like training scenario in games that got out of hand. It's poor sportsmanship, bottom line.
And my response was the following.....

Originally Posted by :
I've put restrictions on who can score
What kind of coach are you??

If the player can score, DO IT!

...training scenario in games that got out of hand.
The game IS the show, NOT the training!!

WTF?? Next you're gonna tell me that the '85 Bears should have just quit playing the Super Bowl so the Patriots wouldn't take such a colossal, lopsided beating??

You say it's poor sportsmanship to demonstrate WHO wants to actually EXCEL at the sport??? Why should we have the Olympics?? Why should we have the World Championships??

Why bother COMPETING if you aren't going to declare a WINNER????
Now, THAT is what was originally posted
[Reply]
MedicCook 02:21 PM 01-27-2009
To me the blame really needs to fall on the school administration of the winning team for making this a big deal to begin with. If they kept out of it and just went on with life this would never have become a media circus.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 3
< 12 3 >
Up