Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 2
< 12
General Discussion>US Embassy in Cuba
Subvet642 09:06 PM 08-16-2015
Originally Posted by Weelok:
The thing that has always puzzled me is we had an embargo with Cuba and yet we continued to operate a Naval base on Cuba at Guantanamo. Now I'm all for it, but I always thought that was kind of funny.
We captured Cuba during the Spanish-American war, along with the Philippines, Puerto Rico and Guam in 1898. We retained Guantanamo Bay as a Naval Base; it is effectively U.S. soil. Cuba is in no position to expel us. I think it's hilarious!
[Reply]
Blueface 12:12 PM 08-17-2015
Originally Posted by Subvet642:
We captured Cuba during the Spanish-American war, along with the Philippines, Puerto Rico and Guam in 1898. We retained Guantanamo Bay as a Naval Base; it is effectively U.S. soil. Cuba is in no position to expel us. I think it's hilarious!
Not exactly.
The U.S. Joined the Spanish American War to assist Cuba in its independence war against Spain.
As result of the treaty to end the war, Spain relinquished its claim to Cuba.
Additionally, it ceded Puerto Rico and Guam to the U.S., along with sovereignty of the Phillipines.
Cuba was not and has never been captured by the U.S. After the war, it began its independence as a country.

BTW, should have added:
As result of assisting Cuba, they signed a treaty with U.S. For Guantanmo Bay.
[Reply]
AdamJoshua 12:38 PM 08-17-2015
Originally Posted by Blueface:
Not exactly.
The U.S. Joined the Spanish American War to assist Cuba in its independence war against Spain.
Additionally, it ceded Puerto Rico and Guam to the U.S., along with sovereignty of the Phillipines.
Cuba was not and has never been captured by the U.S. After the war, it began its independence as a country.

BTW, should have added:
:-)

[Reply]
Subvet642 09:27 PM 08-17-2015
Originally Posted by Blueface:
Not exactly.

BTW, should have added:
Thanks for the clarification; I've had it wrong all these years. :-)

"When I disagree with a rational man, I let reality be our final
arbiter; if I am right, he will learn; if I am wrong, I will; one of us will win, but both will profit."
--Ayn Rand
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 04:45 AM 08-18-2015
I thought the US has a lease on Guantanmo Bay?
[Reply]
Blueface 05:50 AM 08-18-2015
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol:
I thought the US has a lease on Guantanmo Bay?
That is correct.
I meant to say lease but had treaty in my mind from the end of war thought.
[Reply]
shark 09:51 AM 08-18-2015
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 01:57 PM 08-18-2015
A co-worker who was fed contractor there for two years.
[Reply]
shark 07:25 PM 12-16-2015
The local NBC affiliate is running a piece right now with a local news anchor covering the classic cars in Havana, from Havana. I never thought I'd see the day
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 04:52 AM 12-17-2015
Saw piece on the DailyMail about starting regular commercial flights between US-Cuba.

President needs a historic takeaway for his legacy and opening of US-Cuba relations sure looks to be it.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Up