Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 2
< 12
General Discussion>Home Media Server
hammondc 03:57 PM 01-20-2015
DVD Fab looks nice. Thanks for the heads up!!
[Reply]
CigarNut 04:40 PM 01-20-2015
Do you guys run RAID 5 on your media storage?
[Reply]
hammondc 05:07 PM 01-20-2015
Originally Posted by CigarNut:
I was looking at this but there seems to an issue with rebuild failures.
[Reply]
shilala 06:35 AM 01-21-2015
Originally Posted by CigarNut:
I have 7 platters in my main rig, Michael.
I set up 6 of them in a fake raid. I just backup drive F to G, H to J, etc.
I used to raid everything, but it ate hdd's at a rate that was ridiculous for all the more duty I was putting on them.
Raid 5 is gonna give you the equivalent of a write and two disk reads for every write. Basically thrice the duty on the platters.
A simple backup is going to give you one extra write for as many reads as you want. Saves heat, platters, and replacing them.
I've had one hdd die in this latest build, and that was within the first couple months. It was just a junk hdd.
Were I running raid, this is about the time I'd be replacing them one at a time.

Mind ya, I realize I have a chance of losing some media, albeit very small.
I don't care about that, media can be replaced easy enough and it'd be nice to get rid of most anyways.
My important stuff is backed up on 3 drives. I haven't lost anything since 2001. Knock on wood. :-)
[Reply]
LasciviousXXX 05:36 PM 01-22-2015
Originally Posted by hammondc:
So you have the BluRay burned to HDD? What did you use to accomplish this?

Right now, I am looking at a Raid5 setup with a total of 10-12 TB. This will be connected to a MacMini running Plex.

As others have mentioned, DVDFab is the way to go on this one. Though, admittedly, I don't rip much Blu Ray anymore. I obtain Blu Ray files (aargh) which are sometimes in the 30-50GB range and use Plex to stream them.
[Reply]
hammondc 05:42 PM 01-22-2015
Originally Posted by LasciviousXXX:
As others have mentioned, DVDFab is the way to go on this one. Though, admittedly, I don't rip much Blu Ray anymore. I obtain Blu Ray files (aargh) which are sometimes in the 30-50GB range and use Plex to stream them.
I am avoiding that attaining conversation. I fear the Pnoon ban hammer
[Reply]
pnoon 12:19 AM 01-23-2015
:-)
[Reply]
shilala 05:02 AM 01-23-2015
DVDfab was tangled up in some litigation, went offline, then came back up saying they'd only be serving the customers who had lifetime memberships.
Now I see it's business as usual.
Just be aware of that, Chip. You may buy it and they'll be gone the next day.
Copy protection changes constantly, so as time goes on it'd be useless for new titles if they shut down again.
It's always been that way with all that type of software, it's nothing new. Just thought I'd mention it.
I'd checked out DVDfab for so long that I ultimately bought it just because it worked so good.
[Reply]
hammondc 06:29 AM 01-23-2015
Good advice!
[Reply]
LasciviousXXX 03:45 PM 01-23-2015
LOL!

Peter is a big old fluffy teddy bear :-)
[Reply]
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Up