Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 2
< 12
All Cigar Discussion>Refining Your Palate
hotreds 03:44 PM 12-19-2008
Originally Posted by kgoings:
I do dig the CC's but for that price I could have a box of PSD4's! lol

What about Perlmans CC book, not in the same league?
I have it and find it useful. At least until you can afford The Mother!
[Reply]
Stonewall 12:24 AM 02-11-2009
I have to say this is one of the best posts I have read on figuring out how to discern notes of flavor in a cigar thanks so much for the post.
Josh
[Reply]
BFallehy 02:19 PM 02-26-2009
Great Post,

I started getting into cigars last year and am only now tasting them thanks to the tips from this post. Makes me want to kick myself for all the cigars I have had in the last year that I know I didn't really taste.

I sat down yesterday and had a CAO Brazilia and for the first time tasted some cherry in it. I am definatly going to follow these tips from now on. :-)
[Reply]
N2Advnture 02:29 PM 02-26-2009
Originally Posted by BFallehy:
Great Post,

I started getting into cigars last year and am only now tasting them thanks to the tips from this post. Makes me want to kick myself for all the cigars I have had in the last year that I know I didn't really taste.

I sat down yesterday and had a CAO Brazilia and for the first time tasted some cherry in it. I am definatly going to follow these tips from now on. :-)

Glad it helped! (thanks for saying so)

Happy smoking!

~Mark
[Reply]
DBall 02:40 PM 02-26-2009
Originally Posted by N2Advnture:
Glad it helped! (thanks for saying so)

Happy smoking!

~Mark
Mark, this is the post I was looking for!

:-)
[Reply]
allanb3369 10:24 PM 03-10-2009
Originally Posted by DBall:
Mark, this is the post I was looking for!

:-)
Very good post, Mark.

On another board, and in response to discussion based on a flavor wheel, I excerpted the following from a post I made:

When I start to "THINK" I can detect the difference between Dutch and Baker's chocolate, please take all my cigars away from me and put me in the funny farm - where I belong already.

I respect those who can pinpoint flavors that I have a hard time putting my finger on. And I'm not saying there's anything wrong with wanting to get better at describing what you taste; however, I think you can get WAY carried away with this tasting/describing endeavor because what you taste one day may not be the same you taste another day.

What matters most is whether you enjoyed the cigar. In other words, did it suck or not? That may sound very "pedestrian" and not sophisticated, but I believe you can have an outstanding palate and truly appreciate a terrific cigar without being able to use 15 descriptive words to verbalize the flavor. And, of course, that appreciation comes with smoking different marcas and vitolas from different eras.

Sometimes less is more and being able to appreciatively differentiate the elegant from the banal can make you a very happy man.

Again, excellent post, Mark and great to hear more talk about the "nose exhaling" technique!!
[Reply]
N2Advnture 04:47 AM 03-11-2009
Originally Posted by allanb3369:
Very good post, Mark.

On another board, and in response to discussion based on a flavor wheel, I excerpted the following from a post I made:

When I start to "THINK" I can detect the difference between Dutch and Baker's chocolate, please take all my cigars away from me and put me in the funny farm - where I belong already.

I respect those who can pinpoint flavors that I have a hard time putting my finger on. And I'm not saying there's anything wrong with wanting to get better at describing what you taste; however, I think you can get WAY carried away with this tasting/describing endeavor because what you taste one day may not be the same you taste another day.

What matters most is whether you enjoyed the cigar. In other words, did it suck or not? That may sound very "pedestrian" and not sophisticated, but I believe you can have an outstanding palate and truly appreciate a terrific cigar without being able to use 15 descriptive words to verbalize the flavor. And, of course, that appreciation comes with smoking different marcas and vitolas from different eras.

Sometimes less is more and being able to appreciatively differentiate the elegant from the banal can make you a very happy man.

Again, excellent post, Mark and great to hear more talk about the "nose exhaling" technique!!

ROFLMAO!

I completely agree Allan, it all comes down to enjoying the cigar more than begin able to describe it :-)
[Reply]
BigJonMoo73 09:08 PM 03-13-2009
Mark, this was an excellent post. I always wondered how you get the tastes out of the cigars and a lot of them tasted the same (I'm a noob) but I do a lot of the things you say not to in ur guide. so, thanks a lot for it!! I can't wait to try it out!
[Reply]
zero.e 02:36 PM 07-06-2009
Thanks a lot. I'm still mastering smoking technique and this will most likely help me to get in to it easier. I still smoke maybe too fast, even thought I'm trying to keep that one minute break. I'll keep you posted next time I light up a cigar and we will see if I do notice a difference.:-)
[Reply]
N2Advnture 04:23 AM 07-07-2009
Originally Posted by BigJonMoo73:
Mark, this was an excellent post. I always wondered how you get the tastes out of the cigars and a lot of them tasted the same (I'm a noob) but I do a lot of the things you say not to in ur guide. so, thanks a lot for it!! I can't wait to try it out!
Glad you dig it and hope it helped!
[Reply]
CubbiesFan4Life 10:29 AM 07-12-2009
Great post, I wish it was around when I first started. I have one question though, should a smoke slower? Thanks.
[Reply]
BigFish74 07:16 PM 02-16-2010
Great information, nice to see I'm not the only one still looking for the perfect flavors in a cigar.
[Reply]
irklak 02:08 PM 02-21-2010
Just read this again.... great post.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Up