Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 4
< 12 34 >
Entertainment>Where are the animation fans?
kayaker 01:04 PM 12-18-2008
Originally Posted by csbrewfisher:
You're no doubt familiar with rotoscoping. There are several full-length features that you might enjoy here.
Thanks for the link.

I have Lord of the Rings, Ralph Bakshi's work which is mostly roto. I've been tracking down some of his other work as well.
[Reply]
kayaker 01:06 PM 12-18-2008
Originally Posted by Seanohue:
Kayaker, check out Gantz or Gungrave; themes are deeper and both are more "adult". Gungrave is the one with a story, but Gantz is just bad-ass and gory lol.
Thanks, I'll keep an eye out for them.
[Reply]
Seanohue 02:39 PM 01-06-2009
Hellsing OVA 5 is out with English subs, for those interested :-)
[Reply]
Starscream 03:42 PM 01-06-2009
Originally Posted by csbrewfisher:
You're no doubt familiar with rotoscoping. There are several full-length features that you might enjoy here.
The old Superman cartoons were done by rotoscoping. Awesome work.
[Reply]
MadAl 04:16 PM 01-06-2009
Old Disney is wonderful pre-60's even. Walter Lanz, Jay Ward, and the Warner Brother crew.

If you like early animation (Winsor McCay) check this out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvzAJouHh7k
[Reply]
Starscream 06:56 PM 01-06-2009
Originally Posted by MadAl:
Old Disney is wonderful pre-60's even. Walter Lanz, Jay Ward, and the Warner Brother crew.

If you like early animation (Winsor McCay) check this out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvzAJouHh7k
Nice link. :-)
[Reply]
foomanto 01:38 AM 01-09-2009
heavy metal is awesome still love watching it. hm 2000 was ok if there doing a 3rd one ill watch it. the hobbit ,lord of the rings ,and return of the king are all good to.cartoon network and boomerang are probable the most watched channels at my house and its not because of the kids. if im the only one up 95% of the time the tv is playing cartoons. on saturday morning if im not at work its me and the kids on the couch watching cartoons together. they will probable grow out of it be for i do.

spawn was good old hbo series i think lasted 3 or 4 seasons
fist of the north star there's several different versions a friend had a subtitled version that was better than the dubbed one that i had.
akira
ghost in a shell
wizards haven't seen that in awhile think i have it on tape some where.
bleach love this show
ninja scroll that whole series was great
there are more that i like i just cant think of them now.
[Reply]
kayaker 09:39 AM 01-09-2009
Hey Foo,

You like and remember a lot of the same stuff as I do.

Spawn went for 3 seasons and Todd keeps teasing us and dragging us on about the 4th.

Love the Punisher avatar.
[Reply]
Starscream 10:44 AM 01-09-2009
He-Man
Transformers
Thundercats
Captain N: The Gamemaster

I loved all of these (still do).
[Reply]
Drazzil 10:50 AM 01-09-2009
Two words for you folks. Cowboy Bebop.
[Reply]
Seanohue 09:38 PM 01-09-2009
Originally Posted by Drazzil:
Two words for you folks. Cowboy Bebop.
Nuff said :-)
[Reply]
foomanto 09:42 PM 01-09-2009
Originally Posted by kayaker:
Hey Foo,

You like and remember a lot of the same stuff as I do.

Spawn went for 3 seasons and Todd keeps teasing us and dragging us on about the 4th.

Love the Punisher avatar.
thanks

i wish he would do another season.it seems like he can do so much more in a 30 min. show than he can in the books.
[Reply]
Starscream 09:45 PM 01-09-2009
Originally Posted by foomanto:
thanks

i wish he would do another season.it seems like he can do so much more in a 30 min. show than he can in the books.
That's an understatement. The first 40 issues of Spawn were about absolutely nothing. Don't get me wrong, I loved all of 'em, but they just seemed to be going nowhere.
[Reply]
foomanto 09:14 AM 01-10-2009
Originally Posted by andysutherland:
That's an understatement. The first 40 issues of Spawn were about absolutely nothing. Don't get me wrong, I loved all of 'em, but they just seemed to be going nowhere.
there were some coo character and peaces of a story but yah they didn't seem to go anywhere. loved the book thou got the first 100 or so before i started missing issues.
[Reply]
Starscream 11:08 AM 01-10-2009
Originally Posted by foomanto:
there were some coo character and peaces of a story but yah they didn't seem to go anywhere. loved the book thou got the first 100 or so before i started missing issues.
The only one I remember disliking is the issue where McFarlane killed off Spawn just to let everyone know that he had complete creative control over his character. What was the point?
[Reply]
Metalnoise777 01:33 PM 01-10-2009
I love anime and PIXAR stuff...a couple of my favorite animes are, the first Golgo 13 movie which I have yet to find a copy of although I do have the 2nd one...and all the bubblegum crisis series.
I think my fav PIXAR / disney is CARS but im also a nascar fan...I cant wait to get a blu ray player so I can get this on Blu ray.
And of course I cant forget anything southpark!
[Reply]
foomanto 10:06 PM 01-11-2009
Golgo 13 i liked as well as the bubblegum crisis series there was also a series called guyver that was pretty cool then you cant forget roboteck, and the original gundom series.
[Reply]
alley00p 10:27 PM 01-11-2009
I loved Heavy Metal, Spawn and all of Bashki's work...

I grew up watching the old Popeye (especially the roto-scope episodes), Warner Brothers and Tom & Jerry. One of my teachers in college was Ken Muse, who was one of the artists and animators on the old Tommy and Jerry toons.

Later Animations that I definately enjoyed were "Aahhh Real Monsters", "The Angry Beavers" and "Rosco's Modern Life" all which were on Nickelodeon and have disappeared from the air.

I do watch a lot of amine, but I can't really pick out any in particular.

:-):-):-)
[Reply]
kayaker 03:59 PM 01-14-2009
Some interesting things I have seen and almost forgot about:

Animatrix - Love the different stories in that world and the different styles in each story

Persepolis - a great auto-biographical story

Triplets of Belleville - Interesting story and quite funny, but great music on homemade instruments

Aeon Flux - This stuff was really weird the first time I saw it, but liked the messed up nature of it when I started watching it again

Chronicles of Riddick: Dark Fury - Also by Peter Chung of Aeon Flux, a neat tie in story

Ryan - a short computer animation about Canadian animator Ryan Larkin, messed up but quite cool. Larkin was nominated for an Academy Award in 1969 for Walking.
[Reply]
kayaker 04:06 PM 01-14-2009
Other animation I remember from my youth (besides the usual stuff):

The Last Unicorn
The Phantom Tollbooth
Watership Down
Rock and Rule

There are a couple of others that I can't remember the names of. There was one about a statue of a prince and a bird that talked to each other. Very high on the morals that one. There was another about a baseball team that had to play against an alien team that kept cheating.

I also enjoyed RoboTech.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 4
< 12 34 >
Up