Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 2
< 12
All Cigar Discussion>Smoking in the Garage
the jiggler 10:00 PM 12-18-2012
Originally Posted by garryyjr:
I wouldn't think so. I have, at time, all in my garage.. Fridge, TV, Laptop, coffee roaster.. sometimes phone charger and the heater going...
Me 2. Except for the coffee roaster.
[Reply]
Skywalker 08:49 AM 12-19-2012
I wouldn't think so. I have, at time, all in my garage.. Fridge, TV, Laptop, coffee roaster.. sometimes phone charger and the heater going...
Plus, I have my treadmill which sucks a lot of power... so I try not to use that so much!:-)
[Reply]
forgop 09:02 AM 12-19-2012
This sounds like my setup, but add an air compressor and shop vac on same circuit. Thus, I have to shut off the air compressor or I will blow it when roasting/shop vacing all the chaff up.
[Reply]
jjirons69 09:26 AM 12-19-2012
Got this - Mr. heater. One hot bastige! Door half open and heater around us guys. Perfect.

[Reply]
Bushman 05:35 PM 12-21-2012
I too smoke in the garage during the cold months.
Today I had a nice little corojo while organizing some hardware in the garage.
I have a small mr heater going with my tray right next to it. The heat helps drive the smoke upwards and out the eaves but everything still smells like cigar. Ok by me--not by her. She deals with it. No way can I prop open the door with 40 mph wind and blowing snow.
[Reply]
forgop 02:45 AM 12-22-2012
Originally Posted by jjirons69:
Got this - Mr. heater. One hot bastige! Door half open and heater around us guys. Perfect.

What kind of outside temp or inside temp of garage are you working with? Trying to get an idea if I need a single or a double.
[Reply]
CigarSquid 07:48 AM 12-22-2012
Originally Posted by forgop:
What kind of outside temp or inside temp of garage are you working with? Trying to get an idea if I need a single or a double.
I Would suggest, if you will use it more than just in the garage why not get the two. I use mine for camping and other things. I bought the 3.. Freakin' some heat when all 3 are lit.

You can always buy the bigger and only use one burner if needed.
[Reply]
CigarSquid 08:20 AM 12-22-2012
Opps.. BIGGER one..

So sorry about that Peter. Since I can not edit it, can you make sure that word is gone, change it to bigger for me?
[Reply]
shilala 08:28 AM 12-22-2012
Originally Posted by omowasu:
There are a couple really good HVAC guys on the forum that may be able to chime in on this one - here are my thoughts...

First, having the furnace in the garage should not present an efficiency issue. The furnace heats recirculated air from the return ducts in your condo and does not intake air from the garage to push into the living area. If it did, that would violate a number of building codes...

The furnace will draw air from the garage in for combustion if it is a gas furnace, but the combustion air is not pumped into the residence. In modern HE furnaces, the exhaust from the combustion air is recirculated into the heating element and moisture is extracted for delivery to an outside vent.

I would NOT recommend insulating the furnace area door, as you may starve your furnace of combustion air which could cause a TON of problems.

Rather, I would suggest going to the hardware store and getting some of that aluminum tape. Use the tape to seal around the filter assembly where air may accidentally get sucked in, and seal any holes or vents in the return duct that are in the garage. You will need to remove the tape to change the filter, but its a very minor inconvenience. That should give you plenty of air sealing, and the combustion will help get some of the fumes out of the garage.
Just to add to what Scott said...
If smoke is getting dragged in the house via the furnace, it's because it's being sucked into the cracks in the return ductwork that's present in the garage, or into the return side of the furnace itself.
That's super easy and mega-cheap to fix. Grab a few tubes of duct sealant and seal all the seams in the return duct. Seal the area where it connects to the furnace. Miss nothing and don't be cheap. You can buy 2 tubes of mastic for the price of a cigar.

It'll be tough, if not impossible to seal everything without taking some stuff apart. You really have to get everything to be 100% sure no smoke gets sucked in the house via the furnace. Even if you get 90% of the stuff sealed, you'll be in much better shape.
You'll also need to seal the around the ductwork where it penetrates the wall or ceiling and enters the house. Should have mentioned that earlier.

This will also raise the efficiency issue you mentioned. Having the furnace in an unconditioned space like the garage isn't ideal from an efficiency standpoint, but those leaks provide fresh air to your house. That's a very good thing. The air in your house might exchange once in a day and that keeps it from growing stinky from being shut up all winter.
If you're dragging in gas, oil, and cigar stink from the garage, not good.

If you seal her up, the efficiency loss from the furnace being in the garage will be negligible. All you will be losing is a small amount of heat in the system. It's so not worth talking about that I've wasted too many words already. You'll not need to consider it ever again. :-)
[Reply]
pnoon 08:35 AM 12-22-2012
Opps.. BIGGER one..

So sorry about that Peter. Since I can not edit it, can you make sure that word is gone, change it to bigger for me?
Done.
Honest but unfortunate mistake.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Up