Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 5
< 12 34 > Last »
All Cigar Discussion>The Case of the Expanding Ring Gauge
FriendlyMan 05:36 PM 07-25-2012
I would think it’s not made to be an everyday stick. And it is probably made for those that are or they are not to familiar with RG or don’t smoke at all and want to surprise someone.

I would name it the "show off" stick.
Or the occasion Cigar etc....
[Reply]
jluck 05:44 PM 07-25-2012
I started out smoking large RG cigars, It was the cool kid thing to do....dont 'ya know. After dropping (spitting) out a lit 54 RG torpedo in my lap and spitting a just lit MUWAT on a dirty shop floor I gave up, smoked up most of the bigger stuff or gave them away. Once I figured out how much more pleasure there is in a 36-46 RG cigar I don't see ever going back, Even in a cigar has some catchy marketing name (dirty hooker,toxic shock etc.) I will stick to the smaller ones thanks.

My A.D.D also likes the hour or less mark.:-)
[Reply]
ChicagoWhiteSox 05:45 PM 07-25-2012
f*ck 54 + rg cigars:-)
[Reply]
jluck 05:48 PM 07-25-2012
Originally Posted by ChicagoWhiteSox:
f*ck 54 + rg cigars:-)
Don't hold back how you really feel.:-)
[Reply]
lenguamor 06:43 PM 07-25-2012
Originally Posted by CRIMPS:
Four of my Non-Cigar smoking friends go to a B&M and buy cigars to smoke that night at a party. They all walk our with 55+RG sized churchill cigars. They had no idea what they bought, but they sure looked cool.

This is your majority.
This. Been saying it for a while, but we're in a new boom. A lot of guys who never smoked before and won't after the novelty wears off in a while, following the credo of "bigger is better."

The pendulum will swing back, but it'll be a while.
[Reply]
oooo35980 07:11 PM 07-25-2012
Sheesh so much hate for the big RG Cigars. I personally enjoy the bigger RG cigars quite a bit. 6x60 is a perfectly manageable size for me and I can smoke on it for hours, plus the draw is usually looser so it has less chance of triggering a migraine. I don't smoke them exclusively by any means but they have their place. I also enjoy Toros, Robustos, PCs, Lanceros, Churchills, and a variety of other sizes, an occasional pipe is nice too. Variety is the spice of life after all.
[Reply]
Brooks W 07:28 PM 07-25-2012
Originally Posted by bobarian:
I think you will find many more large RG introductions at IPCPR(sp?) this fall. :-)
Yep.

In fact, if you would like, you can see a list of all of the cigars that have been or will be released in 2012 (over 750 of them!) here:

http://www.halfwheel.com/2012newcigars/

Most have links to info about what the RGs are...here is a hint: LOTS of cigars over 56 RG.
[Reply]
Brooks W 07:36 PM 07-25-2012
Honestly, with a few exceptons, I do not smoke any RG above about 56 unless I am reviewing it.

Having said that, there are some cigars that are actually blended specifically for the larger RG that they come in...the Inch is one of those, and usually, if they are actually blended that way, then some of them can be quite good (I have not had the Inch yet, so don't know if that is the case with it, just using it as an example)...
[Reply]
CRIMPS 07:42 PM 07-25-2012
Thumbs up to pretty much everything being said here.

Of the movies listed in the cigars in cinema, what percentage of the cigars are lanceros, PCs, and coronas? The power of media and entertainment.
[Reply]
icehog3 07:49 PM 07-25-2012
Originally Posted by CRIMPS:
Thumbs up to pretty much everything being said here.

Of the movies listed in the cigars in cinema, what percentage of the cigars are lanceros, PCs, and coronas? The power of media and entertainment.
Lots oif the old westerns on there actually do have lancero and even cigarillo sized cigars.:-)

The mob films....not so much. :-)
[Reply]
maninblack 08:29 PM 07-25-2012
Smoke what you like, like what you smoke. I prefer large ring gauge cigars, and have been smoking for many years now. I must be in the "minority" but obviously not if they keep making them. I have lots of time at work and home to enjoy them and I love the flavors in them. And the longer smoking time allows me to sit back, relax and just do lots of thinking.
[Reply]
Col. Kurtz 08:43 PM 07-25-2012
When I first started I saw the larger smokes as a greater value. It was just a $.50 or $1 more for a 7x54 than a robusto or smaller. And no way would I spend $10+ on a lancero?? I was hunting a bargain. Got my feet wet and smoked more small smokes after reading opinions at the old place and here. I can only guess the demand is from casual or beginning smokers. I also postulate that as members of a cigar forum we are in the minority of smokers. Those that buy the donkey phallus don't usually seem interested enough to join a forum and discuss them. We're outnumbered.

I'm still glad I had a chance to smoke them all; and I still curse the man who PIF'd me that first Party short. To paraphrase Brad: my ashtray is littered with the ashes of countless white whales trying to recapture that first experience..
[Reply]
Mr. Ed 09:24 PM 07-25-2012
Originally Posted by oooo35980:
I also enjoy Toros, Robustos, PCs, Lanceros, Churchills, and a variety of other sizes, an occasional pipe is nice too. Variety is the spice of life after all.
And that's what really matters. It's just frustrating seeing new brands/blends coming out that only offer 52-60 ring gauge and even Habanos paring their catalogue and introducing bigger RG smokes. You can even tell the difference looking at the big established brands (from Altadis/General) that offer smokes in a variety of vitolas. I guess tradition can only go so far.
[Reply]
Mr. Ed 09:29 PM 07-25-2012
Originally Posted by maninblack:
Smoke what you like, like what you smoke. I prefer large ring gauge cigars, and have been smoking for many years now.
Of course! I'm just frustrated that more options aren't being offered
[Reply]
Mr. Ed 09:31 PM 07-25-2012
Originally Posted by icehog3:
Not to mention that the thin RG cigars are more difficult to roll, meaning you need better (maybe higher paid / more experienced) rollers working for you to roll them.
I was always under the impression that larger vitolas (churchills/double coronas) are more difficult to roll and require more experienced rollers.
[Reply]
icehog3 10:23 PM 07-25-2012
Originally Posted by Mr. Ed:
I was always under the impression that larger vitolas (churchills/double coronas) are more difficult to roll and require more experienced rollers.
When we have had some of the more reknowned rollers roll cigars for group buys (La China, Hamlet, Taboada), I was told that they said the thinner RG took more skill. That's all second hand though, I have never met any of them.
[Reply]
Mr.Weeee 10:54 PM 07-25-2012
so what do you think about the Nub 4.0" x 60 great stick and big RG
[Reply]
icehog3 10:56 PM 07-25-2012
Originally Posted by Mr.Weeee:
so what do you think about the Nub 4.0" x 60 great stick and big RG
My opinion? Trash. But smoke what you like, like what you smoke. :-)
[Reply]
sevans105 11:38 PM 07-25-2012
Just from my own experience, when I first started in cigar world, I was very status oriented as so I smoked Churchills, etc. not because I really liked them, but because they looked cool. Since that beginning, I've graduated to other sizes...I tend to like torpedoes and perfectos. My friends always grab the churchill's as well.
[Reply]
T.G 11:46 PM 07-25-2012
Originally Posted by icehog3:
When we have had some of the more reknowned rollers roll cigars for group buys (La China, Hamlet, Taboada), I was told that they said the thinner RG took more skill. That's all second hand though, I have never met any of them.
This has been my observation/experience too while at the NC factories.
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
Page 2 of 5
< 12 34 > Last »
Up