Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Entertainment>Your Absolute Favorite Song(s)
Jasonw560 12:42 PM 07-07-2012
Originally Posted by smokin5:
Speaking of Duane Allman, how about Allman Bros. Band - Whipping Post (off the Live at the Fillmore).
Whipping Post from "Live" is one of the best live tracks ever. Duane was probably the best slide player ever. Dickey Betts is no slouch, either. Sadly, I'm boycotting the ABB because of the firing of DB.

Check out "Duane's Tune" from The Dickey Betts Band Pattern Disruptive. Dickey Betts and Warren Haynes in an instrumental.
[Reply]
Tio Gato 12:46 PM 07-07-2012
Bad by U2, the live version. I can't hear that enough.:-)
[Reply]
Jasonw560 12:50 PM 07-07-2012
Originally Posted by The Poet:
Hey, don't get me wrong . . . I do believe Stevie did a great job stealing licks, not only from Jimi, but from many others. :-)
Just as Jimi did from the old Blues masters, as did many others, like Clapton and Page. And the old Blues masters "stole" from countless others who we'll never know. They just say they were "influenced" by them.

And SRV might laugh at that, but as music is subjective, to my ears, I like his version better.
[Reply]
Ogre 12:56 PM 07-07-2012
Cats In The Cradle - Harry Chapman
Fat Bottom Girls - Queen
[Reply]
The Poet 12:58 PM 07-07-2012
Originally Posted by Jasonw560:
Just as Jimi did from the old Blues masters, as did many others, like Clapton and Page. And the old Blues masters "stole" from countless others who we'll never know. They just say they were "influenced" by them.

And SRV might laugh at that, but as music is subjective, to my ears, I like his version better.
True as it is that all artists are influenced by past masters, you are WRONG if you think Jimi stole from anybody. NOBODY hit those licks before he did, which is why he's still considered the best guitarist there was, four decades after his death.

Also true, you are entitled to like Stevie's cover better . . . and I'm sure the fact that you're from Texas has nothing to do with that. :-)
[Reply]
MrWolf55 01:04 PM 07-07-2012
Panama by Van Halen. According to ITunes I've listened to it 481 times already.
[Reply]
Jasonw560 03:02 PM 07-07-2012
Originally Posted by The Poet:
True as it is that all artists are influenced by past masters, you are WRONG if you think Jimi stole from anybody. NOBODY hit those licks before he did, which is why he's still considered the best guitarist there was, four decades after his death.

Also true, you are entitled to like Stevie's cover better . . . and I'm sure the fact that you're from Texas has nothing to do with that. :-)
Come on...after jamming with BB King, Muddy Waters, Curtis Mayfield, Albert King, Steve Cropper and other blues and R&B LEGENDS, you don't think he took a thing or two? Especially from Cropper and jazz guitarist Wes Montgomery? I'm sure he just made all of them better, and rejected everything they did.

I know it's just anecdotal, but Guitar Shorty swears his licks are in "Purple Haze".
[Reply]
longknocker 04:46 PM 07-07-2012
"House Of The Rising Sun"-Animals
[Reply]
RobR1205 08:42 PM 07-07-2012
Originally Posted by MrWolf55:
Panama by Van Halen. According to ITunes I've listened to it 481 times already.
My iTunes says 126 haha :-)
[Reply]
Bill86 09:31 PM 07-07-2012
Originally Posted by ArgusP2:
Anything by Pink Floyd
This

and Anything

Soundgarden/Audioslave/Chris Cornell
STP
Bush
Nirvana
[Reply]