Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 2
< 12
General Discussion>Backpacking and hiking thread
markem 10:54 AM 05-24-2012
When I lived in Seattle and worked for Boeing (BoeAlps), I was crazing in to mountaineering. Owned all of the "Becky's Bible" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fred_Beckey) climbing guides and even did some free climbing with him in about 87 over by Leavenworth. Did a winter ascent of Rainier that we got turned back on and via the descent manage to break several bones in my left hand and wrist after being blown off the mountain to literally the end of my rope. Quick ice ax arrest by my climbing partner kept us from tumbling about 800 feet downslope in to Camp Muir. We later found out that the wind speed recorded at Paradise was the highest to date and that up on Disappointment Cleaver it was estimated to be close to 135 MPH when I got airborne.

Climbed most of Squamish and plenty in the Bugaboos in BC and when I moved to Oregon became a Smith Rocks rat. After I got a bone chip lodged in the ligament of a finger in 1992, I more or less hung it up. Miss those days. Miss being skinny too.
[Reply]
Samsquanch 11:32 AM 05-24-2012
Mark, those sound like so awesome adventures. I am just getting into scrambling/mountaineering but am finding quickly that it is quite addictive. Seattle has to be one of the best places to live in the country for these pursuits.

Some of my trips:

[Reply]
Samsquanch 11:35 AM 05-24-2012
Plus some great beach hiking, these were taken on Third Beach on the WA coast.

[Reply]
Samsquanch 11:38 AM 05-24-2012
I'm heading out this weekend to the Icicle Ridge area, should be a good mixture of dry trail and snow. Going to try and bag a couple peaks in the area as well, Big Jim, Big Lou, Icicle Ridge peak.
[Reply]
Powers 12:43 PM 05-24-2012
:-) Holy crap those pictures are stunning! :-)
[Reply]
Samsquanch 09:20 PM 05-28-2012
Had a great Memorial Day weekend out in the woods. Hiked about 8 miles with about 3000' elevation gain and spent one night out under the stars around 4900'. First hike for me and my hiking partner this year and it was great to be out.

Our original goal had been to summit the peak in the picture above but with a pretty late start on Saturday and deciding to leave the snowshoes in the truck, we ran out of time. Our plan is too wait about a month for the snow to melt out a bit more and then go for it.

Oh yeah, I smoked a Romeo y Julieta while sitting around the campfire.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Up