Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 2
< 12
All Cigar Discussion>Cigar Aging Peak Times
44stampede 07:39 PM 02-20-2012
This is a great question though I am not sure it is being answered in the way Jarrod was asking. I think he was more of trying to get a list of peoples experiences with each cigar and how much better it got with age (or not). I am very curious about this myself. For example, is a Liga T52 good after a few weeks rest or is it 30-50% better after a year?
[Reply]
Da Klugs 07:52 PM 02-20-2012
NC cigars have taken hold since the revolution. Aging them is a relatively (to cubans) new thing.

Over time, things can change. Logic says that there will be "winners" over time that get much better with age.

I smoked a 25 year old Funete that was to die for, rivaling anything from our favorite island.

One significant issue is "what you Like" as it relates to "how you smoke". SO many NC cigars are blended with a strength that appeals to mouth smokers.

Its only been in the past 5-6 years that we ahve seen lines blended to appeal to the Nasal exhalers. (Tatue for example)

Many/most Cuban cigar smokers do a partial to full nasal exhale.

Personally I think that many well made NC cigars will over time become sublime in ways similar to cuban cigars. Might take additional time based upon the blends but father time catches up with all rolled up weeds at some point.

Specific to the OP question..... short time frames do not create empirical data... 1-2-4 years is a time frame that does not do justice to the question.

The key term being well made cigars. Crap will always be crap... just older. :-)

Looking forward to smoking padron anniversario 26 and 64's that are 20+ years old.
[Reply]
Ed M 06:24 AM 02-21-2012
Originally Posted by jluck:
I use a different rule of three. I start aging times when they are delivered.
ROTT.....THEN....
3 seconds
Or
3 minutes
And when I'm really trying hard
3 hours.:-)
Sounds like we both use the same system!
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 06:50 AM 02-21-2012
Originally Posted by Da Klugs:
The key term being well made cigars. Crap will always be crap... just older. :-)

Ain't that the case. The verdict is still out how long modern Habanos will age, never mind NC's.

Best bet is to have a partial box in addition to the box you are aging to sample yearly or what have you. People have different taste and your taste will evolve of the years. Are your "go to" cigars the same as they were 15-20 years ago? Imagine if you took a big stake in those cigars....
[Reply]
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Up