General Discussion>Need help deciding on a world history paper topic
emopunker2004 10:00 PM 02-19-2012
Originally Posted by hotreds:
How about the American Revolution?
:-)
[Reply]
forgop 05:09 AM 02-20-2012
Originally Posted by VirtualSmitty:
Tension between France and Germany after the Franco-Prussian and the end of the second french empire and the loss of the Alsace-Lorraine river valley, the failure of Bismarcks diplomatic strategy, the two Balkan Wars, the German Kaisers goal to out build the British Navy, imperialist colonization and competition, the First World war was the result of many things not just a single assassination. Hence the term powder keg, when Archduke Ferdinand was murdered that was the spark that ignited over fifty years of tension. That topic however requires far more work than Youtube or wikipedia can provide.

Why not do something simpler?
I'll get to that-all I was looking for was just a cliff notes version for submitting my proposed topic last night.
[Reply]
Fia 05:45 AM 02-20-2012
Originally Posted by ninjavanish:
I gotta go with Pirates, conquistadors, the colonization of the West Indies, the discovery of tobacco, it's cultivation and introduction to Europe (And eventually Colonial America/The U.S.) and the springboard that the tobacco trade became to the development of the economy of the Western Hemisphere and the lasting effects it had.Huge scope (Roughly dating from the 1600's to current.), but you can focus on something that you like, and maybe tell an interesting story while doing so.
I like this one..spain made more money from tobacco then they ever did from gold exploration. Tobacco practically built the US. Can even go into the history of taxation, bans, etc of tobacco that are not much unlike what we have today!
[Reply]
replicant_argent 06:37 AM 02-20-2012
How about the invention of the coupon and its direct correlations to modern insanity?
[Reply]
chippewastud79 07:32 AM 02-20-2012
Europe's transition to the euro and the effect on the global economy. :-)
[Reply]
ninjavanish 08:03 AM 02-20-2012
Welllllll.....?

What was your proposed topic?!

We're all dying to know!
[Reply]
icehog3 09:05 AM 02-20-2012
Originally Posted by VirtualSmitty:
Tension between France and Germany after the Franco-Prussian and the end of the second french empire and the loss of the Alsace-Lorraine river valley, the failure of Bismarcks diplomatic strategy, the two Balkan Wars, the German Kaisers goal to out build the British Navy, imperialist colonization and competition, the First World war was the result of many things not just a single assassination. Hence the term powder keg, when Archduke Ferdinand was murdered that was the spark that ignited over fifty years of tension. That topic however requires far more work than Youtube or wikipedia can provide.

Why not do something simpler?
The Curse of the Goat on the Chicago Cubs?
[Reply]
replicant_argent 09:52 AM 02-20-2012
Originally Posted by icehog3:
The Curse of the Goat on the Chicago Cubs?
The impact on the planet is immense. Everyone knows if not for the curse, the Cubs would be the Windy City Yankees.
An effect on human history, indeed, sir.
[Reply]
markem 10:58 AM 02-20-2012
The origin and meaning of the phrase/cartoon "Kilroy Was Here" during WWII.
[Reply]
CigarNut 11:37 AM 02-20-2012
The origin of the "Legend" of Green M&M's.
[Reply]
Adriftpanda 12:49 PM 02-20-2012
The history of pugs. They're so cute.
[Reply]
shilala 12:58 PM 02-20-2012
I'd totally go with the Civil War. I think I'd delve into the reasons why they called it civil when it was anything but. And I'd see if there's any connection between that anomaly and the act of making a "reservation" at a restaurant. If I had reservations, I'd certainly not make an appointment to eat there. Plus their checks don't cash worth a sh1t. Try taking one to your bank.
[Reply]
icehog3 01:17 PM 02-20-2012
Maybe something to let the world know that Soylent Green is made out of people?
[Reply]
Silound 01:20 PM 02-20-2012
The eradication of wide-spread diseases in the world during the late 1800's through the early 1940's is always an interesting topic.

The Irish potato famine and its reaching effects is a tremendous thing to read about.

The decline and modernization of the Ottoman Empire is a fascinating subject to me, mostly because the Ottoman Empire was one of the largest and longest lasting empires in world history; one which almost a century after dissolution still impacts our world heavily today.
[Reply]
Blak Smyth 01:22 PM 02-20-2012
Zombies - A living history

I watched this on The Discovery Channel, very interesting. They talk about how people once believed cannabalism could turn you into a blood hungry zombie. Actually a very informative and interesting little documentary about the idea of zombies.
[Reply]
SDmate 01:36 PM 02-20-2012
How about a paper on the history of the greatest game ever invented :-)
[Reply]
VirtualSmitty 01:59 PM 02-20-2012
Originally Posted by Silound:
The decline and modernization of the Ottoman Empire is a fascinating subject to me, mostly because the Ottoman Empire was one of the largest and longest lasting empires in world history; one which almost a century after dissolution still impacts our world heavily today.
That's an excellent topic. Especially post Tanzimat reform Ottoman Empire, but again requires a ton of research.

How about the history of chewing gum? It's origins may surprise you!
[Reply]
icehog3 02:11 PM 02-20-2012
Originally Posted by SDmate:
How about a paper on the history of the greatest game ever invented :-)
Hungry Hungry Hippos??
[Reply]
T.G 03:19 PM 02-20-2012
The sociological impact of Lucas's changes to the Star Wars movies.
[Reply]
bvilchez 03:20 PM 02-20-2012
Did I just see what I think I saw?!?!?!?!?!?
[Reply]
Page 2 of 3
< 12 3 >
Up