Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 3
< 12 3 >
General Discussion>Any Pitbull owners here?
Cigarcop 03:20 PM 02-16-2012
I had one but I Divorced her 5 yrs later :-)
[Reply]
us_soldier1989 03:28 PM 02-16-2012
Originally Posted by Cigarcop:
I had one but I Divorced her 5 yrs later :-)
MMMmmmm, Bestiality. :-)

Jk. I was wondering when someone was going to say something along those lines haha.
[Reply]
detroitpha357 04:39 PM 02-16-2012
Originally Posted by croatan:
The mailman sprayed him with the pepper spray or whatever it was he was carrying and the dog just licked his lips like it was a tasty snack .
Croantan Pepper spray only works on cops & dogs other then pitbulls, trust i know...:-)
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 05:14 AM 02-17-2012
Considering the potential liability and all that; why are you stuck on a pit bull? Yes, they are beautiful dogs and good for home security… So are Doberman’s or German Sheppard’s. I don’t think it’s worth the gamble on a pit bull, especially in urban areas.
[Reply]
Mattso3000 06:30 AM 02-17-2012
I have a rescue pit mix and she is a sweetheart to my wife and I and our other dog. She was great with the kids over christmas and is generally very mild mannered. She did, however, attack mkarnold1's dog and just about took him out if not for a well placed foot. Not sure why but sometimes dogs that are bread for violence have trouble not being violent.
[Reply]
jluck 07:03 AM 02-17-2012
Originally Posted by Mattso3000:
I have a rescue pit mix and she is a sweetheart to my wife and I and our other dog. She was great with the kids over christmas and is generally very mild mannered. She did, however, attack mkarnold1's dog and just about took him out if not for a well placed foot. Not sure why but sometimes dogs that are bread for violence have trouble not being violent.
Yep. There great until there not.
[Reply]
Mattso3000 07:20 AM 02-17-2012
Originally Posted by jluck:
Yep. There great until there not.
It was completely random, he took care of her for a week last year and they were fine then all of a sudden she just went nuts on him the last time I visited.
[Reply]
awsmith4 09:37 AM 02-17-2012
There's a bunch of them through out my the family. One will be decent the next will try to eat people, other dogs, cars,cats,trees Etc...I don't personally get the whole owning a liability thing. Friends of mine have had a few too, They seem to think its funny that people are terrified of there dogs and they "have only bitten a few people".
I simply had to quit going around some of there homes when my boys became threatened.
It sounds like these folks are irresponsible owners that even if they had a Golden Retriever it would end up as a dangerous dog. Its not the breed its the handler. If a dog ever bites anyone without legitimate reason it should be put down. If the owner lets it happen more than once they should be locked up.
[Reply]
chippewastud79 01:16 PM 02-17-2012
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol:
Considering the potential liability and all that; why are you stuck on a pit bull? Yes, they are beautiful dogs and good for home security… So are Doberman’s or German Sheppard’s. I don’t think it’s worth the gamble on a pit bull, especially in urban areas.
Actually, they are terrible for home security unless trained to be people aggressive, which is difficult to do by nature. Pit bulls certainly can look and sound intimidating to humans, but they aim to please. They love people, and while they will likely give warning barks and growls at people outside the home, as soon as you offer them a peaceful greeting or a treat they turn into sissies. :-)
[Reply]
Zeuceone 01:33 PM 02-17-2012
the breed is not for everyone. Truer APBT are people friendly but highly animal aggressive. You get an APBT from a breeder that knows what head doing.

The American Bully is what you mainly see today. Its a mix of APBT and pretty much any combination of dig. These were bred(if done correctly ) to be people friendly and not be animal aggressive. Now a days everyone is a "breeder" which makes a ton of easy money. With these guys you get dogs who sometimes are not mentally stable.

Ill add to this later.
[Reply]
jluck 01:43 PM 02-17-2012
Originally Posted by awsmith4:
It sounds like these folks are irresponsible owners that even if they had a Golden Retriever it would end up as a dangerous dog. Its not the breed its the handler. If a dog ever bites anyone without legitimate reason it should be put down. If the owner lets it happen more than once they should be locked up.
Some are, Some are far from it. But the breed remains the common denominator. The more responsible owners just make better excuses for the dogs behavior.
I think it's kind of a reckless statement to assume that everybody someone knows (in which you know none of the parties) is irresponsible.

You may like them...great, Might even be the pitbull whisperer cool. I'm only adding content from the 25 years I have had exposure to pit's and other aggressive breeds.
[Reply]
criracer 03:38 PM 02-17-2012
Some are, Some are far from it. But the breed remains the common denominator. The more responsible owners just make better excuses for the dogs behavior.
I think it's kind of a reckless statement to assume that everybody someone knows (in which you know none of the parties) is irresponsible.

You may like them...great, Might even be the pitbull whisperer cool. I'm only adding content from the 25 years I have had exposure to pit's and other aggressive breeds.
There are no bad dogs or bad breeds of dogs. There are bad owners and bad breeders.
[Reply]
oooo35980 03:57 PM 02-17-2012
Maybe it is me, but every time I go to someones house with a pit, or I talk to someone who has a pit, the conversation goes something like this:

She/He is a great dog, so sweet, BUT:

wants to eat people with hats on,
hates it when you turn your back on her,
don't look at the kids wrong or he'll eat you,
if he doesn't know you he'll eat you,
doesn't like the color red,
doesn't like black people,
doesn't like white people,
etc. etc. etc.

Their owners love them, I've never seen one without some little quirk or thing you have to be careful of though. Doesn't seem worth it.

:-)
[Reply]
Remo 04:11 PM 02-17-2012
Adopting one? Not too sure, lots of liability as you don't know how it was treated, maybe a puppy. I have shot way to many of the SOB's so I am not a good gauge, I hate the fookers.....sorry.
[Reply]
jluck 04:24 PM 02-17-2012
Originally Posted by criracer:
There are no bad dogs or bad breeds of dogs. There are bad owners and bad breeders.
[Reply]
mase 04:38 PM 02-17-2012
Originally Posted by criracer:
Certainly, some breeds are prone to physical ailments like hip dysplasia. It's safe to assume that breeds have tendencies in the temperament, too, like aggressiveness. We never hear about a yellow lab that attacked and mauled a family.
[Reply]
chippewastud79 10:40 PM 02-17-2012
Originally Posted by mase:
We never hear about a yellow lab that attacked and mauled a family.
You never hear about the people who end up getting stitches from getting bit by chihuahuas or yorkies either, but I know people who have gotten stitches from both. Society doesn't care when cutsie dogs bite people and cause open wounds.

Is it because they don't inflict the same damage? Because they are family dogs? Because they are cute? :-)

There are hundreds of dogs that bite people every day, people get treated for dog bites every day, but only bully dogs and pit bulls make the news. :-)
[Reply]
chippewastud79 10:44 PM 02-17-2012
Originally Posted by oooo35980:
Maybe it is me, but every time I go to someones house with a pit, or I talk to someone who has a pit, the conversation goes something like this:

She/He is a great dog, so sweet, BUT:

wants to eat people with hats on,
hates it when you turn your back on her,
don't look at the kids wrong or he'll eat you,
if he doesn't know you he'll eat you,
doesn't like the color red,
doesn't like black people,
doesn't like white people,
etc. etc. etc.

Their owners love them, I've never seen one without some little quirk or thing you have to be careful of though. Doesn't seem worth it.

Either all your friends who own pit bulls are morons, or you are imbelishing to try and prove a point. I am not sure that I know 3 different people who could describe their dogs using one of those examples, let alone all of them. :-)
[Reply]
cmitch 07:59 AM 02-18-2012
I hate to add to the bad rap but after seeing what a pit bull did to my daughter's kindergarten classmate, I'll never own one, advocate ownership nor ever allow my daughter to be anywhere near one. The kid had his face ripped off and even after all the reconstructive surgeries, he'll be scarred physically and mentally for life. From the time this boy was a baby until 5 years old, the dog never showed any signs of aggression toward him, says the parents.
[Reply]
mase 08:19 AM 02-18-2012
Originally Posted by chippewastud79:
You never hear about the people who end up getting stitches from getting bit by chihuahuas or yorkies either, but I know people who have gotten stitches from both. Society doesn't care when cutsie dogs bite people and cause open wounds.

Is it because they don't inflict the same damage? Because they are family dogs? Because they are cute? :-)

There are hundreds of dogs that bite people every day, people get treated for dog bites every day, but only bully dogs and pit bulls make the news. :-)
So, you're denying that some breeds are more prone to aggressiveness and violence? Sadly, in the NY metro area, there are far too many stories of pit bulls mauling and killing infants.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 3
< 12 3 >
Up