Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 2
< 12
General Discussion>Whatcha think of the new Van Halen?
rizzle 10:07 AM 01-11-2012
Interestingly enough, that isn't a new song. It's off their demo album in like '76 or so. It's not bad. What's going to be sorely lacking and odd to adjust to is the backing vocals. They sounded like me and my buddies trying to carry a tune at 12 yrs old. No way they can pull that off now. :-)
[Reply]
CasaDooley 11:33 AM 01-11-2012
Just watched the video...Boy, did that suck! Was that a toilet I just heard flush? Ain't never gonna get that 4 minutes and 43 seconds back.:-)
[Reply]
GTCanuk 07:19 PM 01-11-2012
Trying to decide if it sucks a little or a lot. Leaning on the lot side thou!
[Reply]
GWN 07:58 PM 01-11-2012
Saw the reunion tour a few years back and enjoyed the show, though ticket prices were nuts. Dave's new persona seems to suit him. He did the old stuff justice, even if he has lost a few steps. This new song, though, not so great.
Like any touring band with a crappy new album, bide your time during the few new tracks they'll play and enjoy the classics.
[Reply]
Mikey202 11:33 PM 01-12-2012
Watched the Tattoo video......it sucked. The song writing sucked. I went away from it thinking , " Why did they do that?" :-)

I personally think they won't finish the tour. Dave and Eddie hate each other.
[Reply]
icehog3 12:01 AM 01-13-2012
Tickets for main floor are $150 in Chicago. I won't be going unless some Cougar takes me. :-)
[Reply]
Bill86 12:06 AM 01-13-2012
I just heard this "tattoo" song today....just horrible. Sucks on levels I could never imagine.
[Reply]
icehog3 12:10 AM 01-13-2012
Originally Posted by Bill86:
I just heard this "tattoo" song today....just horrible. Sucks on levels I could never imagine.
It beats the odds by both sucking and blowing simultaneously. :-)
[Reply]
Bill86 12:11 AM 01-13-2012
Originally Posted by icehog3:
It beats the odds by both sucking and blowing simultaneously. :-)
:-)
[Reply]
MedicCook 12:28 AM 01-13-2012
Remember from VH III when Eddie took on lead vocals for a song. If not let me remind you.

'How Many Say I'
http://youtu.be/K07gLBVeLR4

The original title for the song was actually 'How Many Say I Suck and Should Have Skipped Rehab and kept Drinking Myself to an Early Death' but they thought that was too long.
[Reply]
Doctorossi 08:21 AM 01-13-2012
Originally Posted by icehog3:
I won't be going unless some Cougar takes me. :-)
Like the band, you're too old for Cougar interest, Tom.

[Reply]
icehog3 10:56 AM 01-13-2012
Originally Posted by Doctorossi:
Like the band, you're too old for Cougar interest, Tom.

Truth hurts! :-)
[Reply]
Montano 05:24 PM 01-15-2012
Song sucks !! Looks like Wolfie needs Jenny Craig like his mom !!!
[Reply]
racerX 09:43 PM 01-20-2012
I really like it. I'm a homer and don't care. I'm going to see them on tour at least once and me, my wife and my friends will have a great time. :-)

A fan made a video that is much better than the van halen issued video. Here here if you care to see it.:-)
http://vimeo.com/35173319
[Reply]
racerX 07:18 PM 02-21-2012
Rolling Stone review below in case you want to check it out. Just my :-) - its a gift for all the old timey van halen fans like me. Try it - you'll like it.

By Rob Sheffield
February 9, 2012

We've earned this, right? When David Lee Roth and Van Halen went down their own separate mean streets in the Eighties, who paid the price? We did. Van Halen fans everywhere have suffered through the years, waiting for this reunion. We don't need it to be Fair Warning or Van Halen II. We don't even need it to be Diver Down. We just deserve a break.

Well, as the man used to say: one break, coming up. Van Halen's "heard you missed us, we're back" album is not only the most long-awaited reunion joint in the history of reunion joints, it is – against all reasonable expectations – a real Van Halen album. It's sonically closer to 1984 than to 5150, but it's closer to 1980's Women and Children First than to either – no synth glop, no ballads. Eddie always liked to compare the band's sound to "Godzilla waking up," but this is the real deal. And the old lizard sounds hungry to chomp some power lines.

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/al...#ixzz1n4Zv1T6B
[Reply]
jonumberone 12:37 PM 02-23-2012
Finally was able to listen to the new album.
Throw Tattoo away, and this is really good work.
Eddie is amazing, and Dave can still sing.
Stay Frosty reminds me of Ice Cream Man, and Bullethead shows that they still have an edge.
I'm glad they decided to make real music and not just cash in on the reunion.

Now if only Axl and Slash would see the light, all would be right in the universe!
[Reply]
Subvet642 12:49 PM 02-23-2012
Maybe they can join the Platters and the Four Tops on the old fogy circuit.
[Reply]
kelmac07 07:34 PM 02-23-2012
Gotta agree with Dom on this one...the album isn't bad at all. After I said I wasn't gonna touch it...I had to hear it. Throw away Tatoo (why did they release this as the first cut????) and it's a pretty good album. Eddie still can wail and David sounds much better the Vegas stuff he did. Stay Frosty immediately brought me back to Ice Cream Man too.
[Reply]
racerX 09:47 PM 02-23-2012
Dom and Mac rejoining the Van Halen camp - love it.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Up