Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 2
< 12
All Cigar Discussion>Any suggestions on 5 good non-cubans?
Bax 06:12 PM 11-27-2008
Basically, what everyone listed here is worth a try:-)
[Reply]
Vitis 07:31 PM 11-27-2008
Originally Posted by dcamacho:
worst. advice. ever.

:-)
Haaaaaaaaaarrrrsh....... But f'n hilarious. I second (or third or fourth or whatever) the padrons. For my :-) the 1964's are the best NC there is.

~Vitis
[Reply]
TomHagen 10:34 PM 11-27-2008
Originally Posted by dcamacho:
worst. advice. ever.

:-)

im sorry, but that cigar is one of the worst cigars in the world lol ..... i smoked 3, i wanted to ship it back to them 3 times with "what the hell is this?"
:-)It's funny cause it's true.:-)

1) Padron 1926 #9
2) Tatuaje Tainos (or Regios)
3) Illusione MK
4) Padron 6000
5) La Aurora Cien Anos Belicoso

in no order...
[Reply]
icehog3 11:04 PM 11-27-2008
Padron 1926 Natural
Fuente Anejo
Fuente Hemingway
Tatuaje Cabinet
Padron 1964 Maduro
[Reply]
sofaman 04:34 AM 11-28-2008
Padron 26 Maduro
Fuente Opus X
Litto Gomez Small Batch #1
Fuente Anejo
Tatuaje Cabinet
[Reply]
Cyanide 07:50 PM 11-29-2008
Thanks for the great input all. I am going to now read up on some of these, decide what is the best bet for me and then see if I can find a super sampler that does it all in one fell swoop. Mind you, that sampler on the first page looked mighty fine!!!

Thanks again all

Cheers

Cyanide
[Reply]
Cigary 07:57 PM 11-29-2008
I've always felt a little twinge in offering advice to someone who wants advice on what cigars to smoke. Everyone has their own taste where cigars or wine or even food for that matter is involved. The best we can do is tell you what we life and what our taste is,,,not everyone is alike so let me say truly the best thing for you is to start getting 5 packs of cigars and try them, take notes on what you think of each group and see where your taste takes you. Do not buy boxes until you know what you like,,,it shouldn't take long for you to develop and find your interest. I have been smoking for almost 40 years and I still come across cigars that are new and taste great and I won't buy boxes until I have tried at least 3-5 of them.
[Reply]
MikeyC 08:12 PM 11-29-2008
Originally Posted by Cigary:
I've always felt a little twinge in offering advice to someone who wants advice on what cigars to smoke. Everyone has their own taste where cigars or wine or even food for that matter is involved. The best we can do is tell you what we life and what our taste is,,,not everyone is alike so let me say truly the best thing for you is to start getting 5 packs of cigars and try them, take notes on what you think of each group and see where your taste takes you. Do not buy boxes until you know what you like,,,it shouldn't take long for you to develop and find your interest. I have been smoking for almost 40 years and I still come across cigars that are new and taste great and I won't buy boxes until I have tried at least 3-5 of them.
Very solid advice! A lot of people lose sight of the fact that in this hobby what's "good" is merely an opinion and very subjective. There are no objective measures for taste.

Originally Posted by Cyanide:
Thanks for the great input all. I am going to now read up on some of these, decide what is the best bet for me and then see if I can find a super sampler that does it all in one fell swoop. Mind you, that sampler on the first page looked mighty fine!!!

Thanks again all

Cheers

Cyanide
That sampler definitely includes some of my favorites. The only additional cigar I would like to see in there is an Illusion. The El Centurions in my opinion are one of Pepin's best cigars.
[Reply]
Cyanide 03:37 AM 11-30-2008
So at this point, for those interested in how things are ranking up:

Here are the top 10 most suggested cigars by brand, ranked by number of suggestions it recieved (keeping in mind that there seems to be a bit of a blur between consitutes a make vs a brand for some of these cigars -- or maybe I am stupido):

1) Arturo Fuente
2) Padron '64
3) Tatuaje
4) Asthon VSG
5) Padron '26
6) San Cristobal
7) Camacho
8) Oliva Series V
9) Rocky Patel
10) La Flor Dominicana

A number of cigars could have tied for 10th, but La Flor Dominicana had the best sounding name of the bunch, so it gets that spot.

So, like some mentioned, this may be founded in foolishness, and then ranking them is really completely arbitrary and should not be mistaken for anything but a tally of post content....but it now gives me a basis on where to venture into some interesting new experiences.

Unfortunately, I understand that Holt does not ship to Canada. Once I get Cigar.com to "play ball" I will try to find one of there samplers that maximizes the names on this list. I imagine I can't go far wrong with that plan as my start.

Cheers

Cyanide
[Reply]
borndead1 05:08 AM 11-30-2008
One thing missing is a nice mild Connecticut wrap cigar. May I suggest:

Rocky Patel Connecticut
Chateau Real (magnum 46 is the best size IMO)
5 Vegas Gold

Happy hunting! :-)
[Reply]
floydpink 08:48 AM 11-30-2008
I'm narrow minded, but only really enjoy the following in regards to non Cuban cigars that I would buy on a regular basis although there are many more I think are good.

1. Padron Anniv maduro or natural in any size.
2. Most Fuentes, especially Don Carlos and Hemingways. NO Curlyheads please.
3. Graycliffs, except the 1666's off cbid. (these got old quick)
4. Most Tatuajes and Cabaiguans.
5. Rocky Patel Old World Reserves.
[Reply]
hsmunoz 08:55 AM 11-30-2008
my goto to NC's include
1. Padron 26 naturals, pick one
2. Oliva V, Churchill extra
3. 100 anos Robusto
4. Aston VSG Illusions, Sorcerers
5. Diamond Crown #7 Maduro
[Reply]
Page 2 of 2