Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 2
< 12
All Cigar Discussion>Mistakes? Counterfits? Knock-Offs?
The Poet 02:00 PM 08-31-2011
Originally Posted by garryyjr:
My question was asking if anyone had tried them, Some of the vets on here. As I am still new and can't compare them to the real deals.
I have tried every one mentioned specifically in my post, and have been more often satisfied rather than disappointed, and occasionally thrilled. But keep in mind:

A) I always went into these with lower expectations than I would have with the high-price spreads.

B) As with even the "best" cigars, your satisfaction will depend not only upon your own particular tastes, but also on the "luck of the draw". More than once Lew Rothman has observed that the best cigar you ever smoked may lay right next to the worst one you ever smoked, in the very same box. Ya pays yer money, and ya takes yer chances.
[Reply]
sevans105 12:19 PM 11-15-2011
Originally Posted by taltos:
The Perdomo2 Mistakes are a Torpedo in a couple of wrappers sold as a bundle smoke in the price range of $60 for a bundle of 25. They are the original formulation of the Perdomo LE at a good price. I highly recommend them, sometimes mistakes are not bad.:-)
I'd second this one. CI has them up pretty often. Good smoke, FANTASTIC price. CBid will have them periodically too. No bands, but taste just fine.

The RP vintage seconds are very good as well. I've blind smoked them with the original. I'd be hard pressed to tell which is which.
[Reply]
dave 01:33 PM 11-15-2011
I like these a lot:
http://www.famous-smoke.com/rp+facto...ars/item+31154
Get 'em on sale or from their auctioneer for 40-45; put them down to nap for a couple months, then enjoy.
[Reply]
ktblunden 02:17 PM 11-15-2011
I've found these locally for really cheap per bundle and they're fantastic cigars:
http://www.bonitasmokeshop.com/no_59...ts_bundled.htm

I've had the 59 and the 99 and both were great. Stay away from the "sweet" version though.
[Reply]
alexa071 02:00 AM 11-16-2011
Originally Posted by :
The RP vintage seconds are very good as well.
:-) +1...
[Reply]
ktblunden 08:01 AM 11-16-2011
Originally Posted by sevans105:
The RP vintage seconds are very good as well. I've blind smoked them with the original. I'd be hard pressed to tell which is which.
The ones that I bought didn't seem to be actual seconds because the robustos didn't look anything like the original robusto in shape. I often wonder how many of these are actually factory seconds and how many are rolled with the express purpose of being sold as a "lesser" label. They still smoked really nice, though.
[Reply]
ApexAZ 08:06 AM 11-16-2011
Originally Posted by Hippiebrian:
Another thing to remember, if you buy seconds from C.I., Cigar.com of whereever, there is a chance these sticks have not been through a freeze or fumigation
Errr....fumigation? When I think of fumigation, I think of noxious pesticides coating everything and then smoking it. Not that tobacco smoke is the healthiest thing, but you know. Do you have more information on the fumigation process?
[Reply]
sevans105 08:10 AM 11-16-2011
Originally Posted by ktblunden:
The ones that I bought didn't seem to be actual seconds because the robustos didn't look anything like the original robusto in shape. I often wonder how many of these are actually factory seconds and how many are rolled with the express purpose of being sold as a "lesser" label. They still smoked really nice, though.
There is a huge market for "2nds". I'm sure some are built specifically for that purpose. No band...no box and piggybacking off of prior successes. It would actually surprise me if they DIDN'T roll some to be sold as seconds. As long as they smoke the same or just not yucky...I'll keep a stockpile of them. I have tons of moochers and it's nice to give them a decent cigar that doesn't kill my bank account. :-)
[Reply]
ktblunden 09:41 AM 11-16-2011
Originally Posted by sevans105:
There is a huge market for "2nds". I'm sure some are built specifically for that purpose. No band...no box and piggybacking off of prior successes. It would actually surprise me if they DIDN'T roll some to be sold as seconds. As long as they smoke the same or just not yucky...I'll keep a stockpile of them. I have tons of moochers and it's nice to give them a decent cigar that doesn't kill my bank account. :-)
I agree, and with the RP Seconds in particular I find them to be priced where I think the originals should be so as long as the quality is acceptable I would definitely buy the seconds instead.
[Reply]
applevalleyjoe 07:09 PM 11-19-2011
Some years ago I bought a bundle of El Credito Churchill's. Not too bad but lots of problem with draw and burn. Later tried some Padron alternatives from TNT. Also not bad but certainly no Padron. More like a mid-grade Nicaraguan puro.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Up