Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
View Poll Results: Do you hold onto special cigars for special occasions?
Yes 133 84.18%
No 25 15.82%
Voters: 158. You may not vote on this poll
Page 2 of 3
< 12 3 >
All Cigar Discussion>Do you hang onto...
kelmac07 04:14 PM 08-18-2011
Yes...more than I should.
[Reply]
Col. Kurtz 09:13 PM 08-18-2011
I haven't smoked the more "special" cigars in my collection for a couple of reasons.

1. I'm afraid I may not be advanced enough in the hobby to enjoy them.
2. I'm afraid I will enjoy them.

Like you said before Rev. It's not really the cigar that makes the occasion for me, it's the occasion that makes the cigar. I'd rather share the ugly coyote with a good friend than a Monte Sublime alone.

Cheers!
[Reply]
CasaDooley 09:34 PM 08-18-2011
I burn em all after they age the way I like em. My motto is Why leave behind cigars for my wifes next husband to enjoy! :-)
[Reply]
maverickdrinker 10:20 PM 08-18-2011
I have a few special cigars to commemorate certain occasions.

Many boxes of 2008 EL Montecristo Sublimes to celebrate my wedding year.

Boxes of 2010 EL Montecristo Gran Edmundos to celebrate the birth of my son.

My only regret is that I wasn't into collecting cigars when my daughter is born in 2000. She has many bottles of bordeaux and vintage port though...

I'll smoke one of the above cigars on the anniversary/birthday.
[Reply]
Aporschaguy 10:33 PM 08-18-2011
Yes but I also do just have them cause I need the sweet taste..
[Reply]
BC-Axeman 10:47 PM 08-18-2011
I'm surprised there are not a lot more people in the "smoke 'em cuz you got 'em" category.
[Reply]
Hippiebrian 07:01 AM 08-19-2011
Life is just too short to put them off. Special occasion? Hey, I didn't wake up dead today! Woohoo, party time!
[Reply]
muhren 07:21 AM 08-19-2011
Rev...I enjoy your thought provoking posts...thanks!

I have a box of smokes that I have saved for each of my children's birthdays. I plan on smoking one a year as they get older.

I'd posted a thread about it (can't find it on the quick) about buying my son a box of PAM 45s and having the entire Padron family sign it with a Happy 18th Bday wish to him and then re-factory seal it. I would call that special since it's going to be over 16 years before it gets broken open!

I had a few LgC Reservas from '06 I was saving for my daughter's wedding day BUT ended up finding a box of them so now I have a few more than expected! I'm figuring they'll be my annual Bday smoke for her now after I get through the Liberty '06s.

So, that's the long story.

Short story = Yes I have special occasion smokes. :-)

M
[Reply]
massphatness 08:08 AM 08-19-2011
Originally Posted by Ogre:
I have a couple that have been gifted to me. I try and save them for a special occasion such as; waking up in the morning, seeing the sunset, petting the dog ect. I enjoy them when I can, because that time may never come. It's not the cigar that makes the moment!! The moment makes the cigar!!
:-) I used to "save" cigars for special occasions, but have come to feel as Larry does. I'll hold on to a particular stick for a short while perhaps, maybe to bring to a herf to smoke in honor of the person who gave it to me, for example. But generally, I now smoke what I feel like when I feel like rather than holding on to something for that occasion which may never come. (And if the occasion DOES come, what if that stick I've been holding forever ends up tasting just slightly better than a Gurkha Viper?)

Having said that, I do have what I consider to be my Holy Grail cigars -- a box from each of my children's birth years. I smoke out of those boxes to commemorate milestone achievements and events in their lives.
[Reply]
Skywalker 08:48 AM 08-19-2011
Yes!

Sometimes it pans out (the special occasion allows a quit time to reflect and enjoy the cigar), but most of the time the occasion does not allow for "the moment" to enjoy the special cigar!

This was one time it worked out perfectly:
[Reply]
Flounder 09:02 AM 08-19-2011
Originally Posted by Skywalker:
Yes!

Sometimes it pans out (the special occasion allows a quit time to reflect and enjoy the cigar), but most of the time the occasion does not allow for "the moment" to enjoy the special cigar!

New haircut?
[Reply]
php007 10:30 AM 08-19-2011
No, since my special occasions are always with my wife and kids and I don't smoke when they are around.
Everything in my humidor is up for grabs as long as the age is right.
Smoke them if you have them is my moto.
[Reply]
gbum 11:06 AM 08-19-2011
i do have sticks that i save for a special moment... i got around 15 cc sticks that i age nearly 3 years and i actually have no idea what kind of event that i should smoke this... i even got 1 cohiba sublime 2004 that being given to me by my uncle at my wedding...yet have no idea when i want to lit it... i'm thinking of maybe my anniversary... or when i get my first born child or during his/her wedding..who know..

i am those kind of guy who smoke the cheapest stick he got in his possession and work way up...

do i have a problem? hell i'm in asylum already...
[Reply]
gnukfu 04:23 PM 08-19-2011
I don't - although I do have one from 1954 I've been holding.
[Reply]
gnukfu 04:24 PM 08-19-2011
Originally Posted by Skywalker:
Yes!

Nice wax job on the vest!
[Reply]
Smokin Gator 07:47 PM 08-19-2011
Originally Posted by Ogre:
I have a couple that have been gifted to me. I try and save them for a special occasion such as; waking up in the morning, seeing the sunset, petting the dog ect. I enjoy them when I can, because that time may never come. It's not the cigar that makes the moment!! The moment makes the cigar!!
:-)

If I wake up it is a special occasion. Not one stick I have is held back on a daily basis.
[Reply]
neoflex 09:48 AM 08-21-2011
Sadly, I have come to a point where I have more special occasion cigars than I think I will ever have enough special occasions to smoke them. I have recently began smoking said sticks more frequently knowing good and well that they need to go sometime.
[Reply]
ResidentPony 09:54 AM 08-21-2011
I haven't been smoking that long, so saving a cigar for me means about a year... But yes. Some cigars I set aside for when everything is perfect. I have no idea how long I'll hold them. Time will tell.
[Reply]
Volusianator 01:04 PM 08-21-2011
Todd, I used to hang on to "special" cigars for special events, but I just found that the hype I built into that cigar in most cases provided a let down for me.

I was saving a Opus BBMF Maduro for the last three years, I gave it to on of the owners of Xikar in Deadwood a couple weeks ago. I got more enjoyment watching some else enjoy a nice rare cigar they didn't have to pay for.
[Reply]
Volusianator 01:04 PM 08-21-2011
Originally Posted by neoflex:
Sadly, I have come to a point where I have more special occasion cigars than I think I will ever have enough special occasions to smoke them. I have recently began smoking said sticks more frequently knowing good and well that they need to go sometime.
You could've had one after last years Super Bowl...oh wait....
[Reply]
Page 2 of 3
< 12 3 >
Up