Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 2
< 12
All Cigar Discussion>The cellophane wrapper
LasciviousXXX 10:42 AM 06-29-2011
Originally Posted by N2 GOLD:
When it comes to the cello, I have one rule & one rule only. Iit stays on till I smoke it... :-)
60% of the time, this rule works everytime :-)
[Reply]
Razorhog 03:50 PM 06-29-2011
Cool experiment - one I've thought about doing but don't have the time. If nothing gets through the cello, then why do we fuss with humidity levels?
[Reply]
cmitch 05:02 PM 06-29-2011
I leave mine on and I'll tell you why:
When you handle cigars, incidentally, the cigars handled can get trace amount of bacteria, fungus, etc. on them. The human hands are generally the dirtiest pieces of flesh. Staph, strep among candida and other bacterias and fungus thrive on human hands. A cigar without the wrap is exposed every time you handle. Several times I've dumped unwrapped sticks that had contamination that grew into an unidentifiable substance. If all my cigars had been unwrapped, there's no doubt these 'contaminated' sticks would've spread their funk to the rest of them.
[Reply]
T.G 06:10 PM 06-29-2011
Originally Posted by cmitch:
I leave mine on and I'll tell you why:
When you handle cigars, incidentally, the cigars handled can get trace amount of bacteria, fungus, etc. on them. The human hands are generally the dirtiest pieces of flesh. Staph, strep among candida and other bacterias and fungus thrive on human hands. A cigar without the wrap is exposed every time you handle. Several times I've dumped unwrapped sticks that had contamination that grew into an unidentifiable substance. If all my cigars had been unwrapped, there's no doubt these 'contaminated' sticks would've spread their funk to the rest of them.
...and the 100 to 200 pairs of hands that handled the tobacco in your cigar and the finished product prior to cello being applied were all run under a UV sterilizer and swabbed with germicide before touching it... :-)
[Reply]
NCRadioMan 06:12 PM 06-29-2011
Originally Posted by T.G:
...and the 100 to 200 pairs of hands that handled the tobacco in your cigar and the finished product prior to cello being applied were all run under a UV sterilizer... :-)
Werd! I heard Nick Perdomo once say it can be upward of 400 pairs of hands.

Also, if you are concerned, please do not touch money or door knobs. :-)
[Reply]
markem 06:16 PM 06-29-2011
For the vast, vast majority, leaving the cello on or taking it off will have absolutely no consequences and is a complete non sequitur. If the sticks are quite wet or if they are to be stored for 15+ years, then the on/off argument starts to have some bearing.

But y'all have fun now, ya hear. :-) :-) :-)
[Reply]
N2 GOLD 06:21 PM 06-29-2011
Originally Posted by NCRadioMan:
Werd! I heard Nick Perdomo once say it can be upward of 400 pairs of hands.

Also, if you are concerned, please do not touch money or door knobs. :-)
Dont forget the water fossett in public restrooms... :-)
[Reply]
cmitch 07:22 PM 06-29-2011
Originally Posted by T.G:
...and the 100 to 200 pairs of hands that handled the tobacco in your cigar and the finished product prior to cello being applied were all run under a UV sterilizer and swabbed with germicide before touching it... :-)
And don't forget the ones that scratch their @ss . . .:-)
[Reply]
Sin 12:04 AM 06-30-2011
I always take the cello off; never liked em.
[Reply]
Diths0er 08:23 PM 07-01-2011
Sorry I got upset before, I guess I was having a bad day and was a little touchy.
After giving it more thought however, I'm a little hesitant about leaving the cellophane off for fear of a more rapid loss of the tobacco's volatile oils. It seems to me that cigars that are un-wrapped loose that "factory-fresh" smell and oily sheen a lot sooner that those with the cellophane left on. I have noticed that cigars that are over-humidified seem to loose their extra moisture really, really slowly if the wrapper is left in place, if at all. I'm curious how others handle wet cigars, do they seem to eventually reach a proper humidity level with the wrapper on after a long(er) period of time? Perhaps clipping the end of the cellophane offers the best of both worlds: protection from handling, reduced air flow and loss of volatile oils and decent moisture flow.
For those who were wondering, I used cigar-wrapper cellophane with a bit of cellophane tape in the experiment.
[Reply]
Nathan King 01:38 PM 07-02-2011
How long did you conduct the experiments? Moisture exchange is a very slow process, but cigars will eventually reach equilibrium with their environment - even if they're individually wrapped in a closed box. Patience. The process can take months.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Up