Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 3
< 12 3 >
Sports>Manny retires!
hotreds 07:28 PM 04-08-2011
Hasta la vista, baby.
[Reply]
taltos 07:43 PM 04-08-2011
Imagine how little hustle he would have demonstrated if he weren't taking drugs.
[Reply]
E.J. 10:14 PM 04-08-2011
Man....rough crowd....

I will be disappointed to see him out of the game. I don't know about the not hugging kids or buying uniforms, but as far as watching the guy play....he entertained me. He was a talented baseball player and I'll remember him for that.....
[Reply]
MedicCook 10:46 PM 04-08-2011
I doubt he will be a HOFer with the taint all over him.
[Reply]
Bruzee 10:47 PM 04-08-2011
I agree with those who won't miss him. He was bad for the game on so many different levels. Disregard the steroids for just a moment. He is flat out a bad role model for young ball players. No committment, lack of desire, a horrible teammate, ect, ect..... Sorry, thats my :-)
[Reply]
MedicCook 11:13 PM 04-08-2011
His antics were tolerable until he quit on his team in the game against the Yankees.
[Reply]
Bruins Fan 04:02 AM 04-09-2011
Originally Posted by MedicCook:
His antics were tolerable until he quit on his team in the game against the Yankees.
I think the final straw was when he punched the 65 year old travailing secretary, he also sucker punched Youk, He must of been full of roid rage?
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 05:49 AM 04-09-2011
I heard he was smoking too much chronic and did not want to deal with a failed drug test. I may be a minority, but I loved Manny while on the Sox and they had a hell of run while he played here.

Considering what the rest of the Sox were doing after the games, he was no different, but the dread's really put the spotlight on him.
[Reply]
Bruins Fan 07:31 AM 04-09-2011
Manny would have gone down as one of the greatest right hand hitter what a swing, imagine if the guy hustled?
Hall of fame I think so, but it will take about 10-15 years when a new generation of voters just look at the numbers?
[Reply]
Stephen 09:12 AM 04-09-2011
Originally Posted by Bruins Fan:
Manny would have gone down as one of the greatest right hand hitter what a swing, imagine if the guy hustled?
Hall of fame I think so, but it will take about 10-15 years when a new generation of voters just look at the numbers?
If guys like Rafael Palmeiro and Mark McGwire are having serious difficulty getting votes, you think a guy like Ramirez has any chance? I'll bet on the snowball in Hell.
[Reply]
E.J. 09:46 AM 04-09-2011
Originally Posted by Stephen:
If guys like Rafael Palmeiro and Mark McGwire are having serious difficulty getting votes, you think a guy like Ramirez has any chance? I'll bet on the snowball in Hell.
Personally I think Manny's numbers are better than either of those guys.... Though numbers are not going to be the deciding factor when it comes time to vote....
[Reply]
MedicCook 10:01 AM 04-09-2011
The writers have made it known that they are not voting in players with known ties to steroid use. The writers that vote on the HOF are around forever and never forget and rarely forgive.
[Reply]
Bruins Fan 10:47 AM 04-09-2011
Talk about HOF voters, I'm sure the electronic media reporters will be voting soon? News papers are fast becoming a thing of the past.
Most of all the big name guys have gone to ESPN and Yahoo.
[Reply]
Stephen 01:59 PM 04-09-2011
Originally Posted by E.J.:
Personally I think Manny's numbers are better than either of those guys.... Though numbers are not going to be the deciding factor when it comes time to vote....
Only three other guys in MLB history have had 3000 hits 500 home runs. McGwire, well, he hit a ton of home runs and was loved by the media.
[Reply]
Stephen 02:00 PM 04-09-2011
Originally Posted by MedicCook:
The writers have made it known that they are not voting in players with known ties to steroid use. The writers that vote on the HOF are around forever and never forget and rarely forgive.
:-)
[Reply]
E.J. 02:40 PM 04-09-2011
Only three other guys in MLB history have had 3000 hits 500 home runs. McGwire, well, he hit a ton of home runs and was loved by the media.
No saying that R.P. didn't have fantastic numbers, that is obvious. I was just saying that I like Manny's numbers.

R.P. was constantly healthier...which is a plus, Manny only averaged 67 games over the past 5 years...
[Reply]
Stephen 06:36 PM 04-09-2011
Originally Posted by E.J.:
No saying that R.P. didn't have fantastic numbers, that is obvious. I was just saying that I like Manny's numbers.

R.P. was constantly healthier...which is a plus, Manny only averaged 67 games over the past 5 years...
No doubt. But what Palmeiro accomplished is darn near unprecedented, and the others that did so are enshrined in Cooperstown. Hell, anyone that did one or the other is in Cooperstown, save Pete Rose (ineligible) and the recent eligible members of the 500 home run club (who just so happen to be McGwire and Palmeiro).
[Reply]
icehog3 06:38 PM 04-09-2011
Put Pete in!! :-)
[Reply]
VirtualSmitty 07:40 PM 04-09-2011
No doubt. But what Palmeiro accomplished is darn near unprecedented, and the others that did so are enshrined in Cooperstown.
Palemiro was a good player, but

Originally Posted by :
Inductees are selected by careful examination of their qualifications, including their playing record, character and integrity.
He lied about his steroid use in front of a congressional hearing. He's not getting in anytime soon.
[Reply]
icehog3 08:01 PM 04-09-2011
Good thing they didn't have that criteria when Ty Cobb and Babe Ruth got elected! :-)
[Reply]
Page 2 of 3
< 12 3 >
Up