Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 7
< 12 34 > Last »
All Cigar Discussion>Advice for B&M owners anyone?
jimdandy 06:27 PM 03-06-2011
Originally Posted by neoflex:
I am not a bandit, so please don't follow me into the humidor and hound me the second I walk in. Please give me a few minutes to look around and than pop in and ask if I need any help or have any questions. If your on my heels following me in and don't give me a few minutes to myself to peruse your selection I am leaving pretty quickly while purchasing nothing and will never be back. There is nothing I hate more than walking into a walk-in and feeling a hole being burned into the back of my head because an employee follows me in and proceeds to watch me like a hawk until I step back out of the humidor. As a customer I am pretty easy to please but if I feel like you can't give me the benefit of the doubt even for a few minutes to not steal something than I do not need to support your business. At least pretend your coming in to move stock around or check a price or something.
Now, in all fairness, just because you are not a "bandit" doesn't mean that the other half of the people who walk in the door wouldn't consider a five finger discount. I agree that I don't appreciate someone breathing down my neck but it may be necessary to maintain an employee presence to prevent theft. Also, especially if you are the only guy in the store at the time, they may just be eager to try and make a sale. Again, I agree that either way they should be tactful about their methods but it seems we too quickly take offense when 80% of the population would at least consider a "freebie" without supervision. :-)
Average Joe 06:30 PM 03-06-2011
Don't walk into the humidor eating pizza.

Carry a variety.

Things I have liked - People who let me get in and out of the cigar store. Little chit chat if I don't want it, or a ton if I wanted it.
GreekGodX 06:35 PM 03-06-2011
When describing the flavor of a cigar do not try and compare it to a cuban cigar, or say that it is better than a cuban. Then go on to say I will not be able to tell the difference between said cigar and a specific cuban.
awsmith4 06:43 PM 03-06-2011
Originally Posted by markem:
:-) and make sure that they are fully capable of taking the blame when you put a half smoked stick in a box you are sending to someone.
:-):-):-)

My biggest issue is: If you are going to own a cigar store, give a damn about cigars and the culture. If you just thought it would be a money making venture or a safe retirement hobby **** off and let someone who is passionate run the place. No I don't want your highest margin stick, no I don't want the hard to find Altidas product the duped you into stocking, I just want good sticks at a fair price. When I ask you if you carry a cigar that has even been highly rated in a publication like Cigar Aficionado, don't look at me like a dumbass, especially if the issue that mentioned it is on the counter next to the register.

I am in real estate and spend most of my day researching...real estate. If I owned a cigar shop I would spend all day, in between customers, researching...cigars.

Shop owners, give a damn. That is my recommendation.
CoreyD 06:46 PM 03-06-2011
A little trust as a customer. New to hobby but if your standing in the Humidor cause you don't trust me tell me and I'll leave and not come back. If your standing there cause you know I take a lot of time and have questions then I am glad you care so much about me as a customer.
Sometimes after already purchasing I walk into the humidor just browsing sometimes purchasin again but don't expect me to purchase everytime I look at sticks I may be library studying
NCRadioMan 06:50 PM 03-06-2011
I am not a bandit, so please don't follow me into the humidor and hound me the second I walk in.

Originally Posted by CoreyD:
A little trust as a customer. New to hobby but if your standing in the Humidor cause you don't trust me tell me and I'll leave and not come back.
In today's world. everyone is a suspect if you are not known. It's those idiot thieves you should be angry at, not the b&m's trying to protect what is theirs. I hate that icy stare too but that's life and it's not going to change. I am guilty. If somebody I don't know walks into our humidor, I keep a very close eye on them as does the camera and recorder. If I don't, inevitably, I will find we have missing stock. That's a fact.
hscmit 06:52 PM 03-06-2011
Originally Posted by NCRadioMan:
In today's world. everyone is a suspect if you are not known. It's those idiot thieves you should be angry at, not the b&m's trying to protect what is theirs. I hate that icy stare too but that's life and it's not going to change. I am guilty. If somebody I don't know walks into our humidor, I keep a very close eye on them as does the camera and recorder. If I don't, inevitably, I will find we have missing stock. That's a fact.
this is a shame
Jbailey 07:02 PM 03-06-2011
I will agree with Greg. When helping someone new that I haven't seen I wouldn't follow them but I would start a basic conversation. I would casually ask if there is anything they are looking for, what do they enjoy smoking, etc. I wouldn't try to hound them but in return make them feel welcome. It's an easy way to just keep an eye on whats going on.
HollywoodQue 07:35 PM 03-06-2011
Very well stated Jeff..
neoflex 07:41 PM 03-06-2011
Originally Posted by NCRadioMan:
I can relate but my issue is not even getting a minute or two to get my bearings on what they have as far as stock before they are literally up my butt. If your keeping an eye on me from afar that's one thing but I just get irked at the very few that are literally on my heels going into the humidor to the point where if I stopped short they would more than likely walk into me. Hasn't happened too many times but it has and the few times it did I never returned even if they carried a good selection of sticks. Hell, I didn't even get that treatment in a certain shop in Cornelius where the staff is known to be very cold.:-):-)
OLS 07:56 PM 03-06-2011
This thread is funny, because it shows that there is no pleasing B&M customers, lol. I am with Greg,
people are theiving scumbags. (paraphrase) BUT in today's technological environment, there is no excuse for
having less than 6 cameras in an average walk-in. You should greet them, then settle down in front of your bank
of surveillance monitors to watch their every move, preferably with remote pan, tilt and zoom. Then when they
gt to the register, simply ask if they found everything they needed. Charge them for that B-52 or T-38 or F-15
or whatever they put into their pants. If they notice it on their receipt, just ask them if they'd like to see the
replay.
neoflex 08:00 PM 03-06-2011
Originally Posted by OLS:
This thread is funny, because it shows that there is no pleasing B&M customers, lol. I am with Greg,
people are theiving scumbags. (paraphrase) BUT in today's technological environment, there is no excuse for
having less than 6 cameras in an average walk-in. You should greet them, then settle down in front of your bank
of surveillance monitors to watch their every move, preferably with remote pan, tilt and zoom. Then when they
gt to the register, simply ask if they found everything they needed. Charge them for that B-52 or T-38 or F-15
or whatever they put into their pants. If they notice it on their receipt, just ask them if they'd like to see the
replay.
:-) Would love to be a fly on the wall when this plays out. Would be very entertaining. Hey are you getting inside info on some new Ligas coming down the pipe?:-)
msayewich 08:42 PM 03-06-2011
Originally Posted by MajorCaptSilly:
Hire really hot women. I don't care what they know about cigars.

MCS
^^^ *100

I wish we up in Canada can still walk into the humidors and look at the products instead of in books.
yourchoice 08:52 PM 03-06-2011
Originally Posted by markem:
:-) and make sure that they are fully capable of taking the blame when you put a half smoked stick in a box you are sending to someone.
That there is some funny ****! :-) :-)
shilala 08:56 PM 03-06-2011
Ya know, selling a cigar and being decent to people is not rocket surgery.
If a guy can't figure it out on his own, we sure aren't going to teach him anything.
Some tobacconists are willing to listen to their customers because it's obvious to them that it's the key to success. Others just simply don't last long.
Just like online retailers, if the shop sucks for any reason, I take a walk.
I guess I'm saying this thread is a great idea, and a great read, but most likely futile.
I suppose it sure doesn't hurt to try. :-)
Excuse my negativity, this just reminded me of a few really poor experiences and it gave me gas. :-)
Starz26 09:04 PM 03-06-2011
Do not tell me the fuzzy stuff on your cigars is "Bloom" or "Plume". Have a place where customers can smoke without paying a membership fee. Does not have to be big, but for those of us who travel a place to sit and smoke is a nice get away, or sell a day pass.

Oh, and Stop marking up your Opus to 2x msrp and pusing them as to how rare they are. This is not 2003........
smelly4tay 09:14 PM 03-06-2011
Originally Posted by Starz26:
Do not tell me the fuzzy stuff on your cigars is "Bloom" or "Plume". Have a place where customers can smoke without paying a membership fee. Does not have to be big, but for those of us who travel a place to sit and smoke is a nice get away, or sell a day pass.

Oh, and Stop marking up your Opus to 2x msrp and pusing them as to how rare they are. This is not 2003........
this^

Also, know the product very well, take care of said product, and treat customers the first time as if they are going to shop here from now on....

and please don't wave a Montecristo or a Bahia in my face and say it is flying off the shelves, then go apeturd crazy when I say no thanks.
rebelknight 09:22 PM 03-06-2011
I am not a bandit, so please don't follow me into the humidor and hound me the second I walk in. Please give me a few minutes to look around and than pop in and ask if I need any help or have any questions. If your on my heels following me in and don't give me a few minutes to myself to peruse your selection I am leaving pretty quickly while purchasing nothing and will never be back. There is nothing I hate more than walking into a walk-in and feeling a hole being burned into the back of my head because an employee follows me in and proceeds to watch me like a hawk until I step back out of the humidor. As a customer I am pretty easy to please but if I feel like you can't give me the benefit of the doubt even for a few minutes to not steal something than I do not need to support your business. At least pretend your coming in to move stock around or check a price or something.
I completely agree. I agree with what other people are saying also though. Some people cannot be trusted and until you get to know who can and who can't unfortunately everyone cannot be. A couple months ago I was accused of stealing from a local B&M and I had two other BOTL with me who were just as shocked as I was to hear these accusations. The truth is I would never have gone back to the place until I found out it was not an employee who approached me but instead just a very confused and lost costumer. I was very insulted by the very idea of him thinking I would try to steal anything. I may not have a lot of money but that is why I only smoke what I can afford. It really is too bad that theft is such a big problem that honest people have to put up with this problem.
Bill86 09:28 PM 03-06-2011
I agree Dave, but I wouldn't doubt that sometimes that is the case. I mean you would be surprised how little most people that shop at B&M's know about the cigars.

Here's also a prime example of why I don't shop at B&M's.

Camacho liberties 2010 were $25 after taxes at a B&M, on CAYP they are $10. The gouging that is done at B&M's is ridiculous. I cannot afford to pay 2.5X the price just to support a local shop.

Shops should realize they have to be SOMEWHAT competitive.

Also if anyone follows me into the walk in, I'll never buy from them again. Unless I ask "what's new" which I often do.
MurphysLaw 09:38 PM 03-06-2011
I'd just like to hear more shop employees thank customers for their business. If it wasn't for us, they'd be looking for work. A little appreciation goes a long way.
Page 2 of 7
< 12 34 > Last »
Up