Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 4
< 12 34 >
All Cigar Discussion>Tubos - To remove or not remove...
wayner123 08:04 AM 02-24-2011
Originally Posted by michaelmastro:
Oh, and to introduce myself - I'm Michael Mastro, award winning Photographer and Graphic Designer. Former roadie for rock and r+b acts. Have lived in Los Angeles, Seattle, Santa Cruz California, Hawaii, Texas, Georgia, and now, Mobile Alabama. What am I leaving out? Married, two sons, one grandson.

And I've been smoking cigars for a long time.
Welcome.

Are you also running from the Jewish Mafia? :-)
[Reply]
michaelmastro 08:57 AM 02-24-2011
Are you also running from the Jewish Mafia?

Ha!
[Reply]
michaelmastro 08:59 AM 02-24-2011
Originally Posted by Emjaysmash:
http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showth...=storing+tubos

Thank you, Mooch. Your references have lead me to the conclusion that it's all a matter of preference. I think I'm going to remove the caps and leave them in the tubes.

Thanks to all, and Happy Smoking!
[Reply]
Emjaysmash 09:08 AM 02-24-2011
Thank you, Mooch. Your references have lead me to the conclusion that it's all a matter of preference. I think I'm going to remove the caps and leave them in the tubes.

Thanks to all, and Happy Smoking!
Lol I'd rather go by M.J. or if need be "Hammer".

Glad I could help.
[Reply]
floydpink 09:15 AM 02-24-2011
Welcome Michael, and please stay around a while.

This is a really great place once you get done pledging!:-)

Personally, I like to leave the cap on and store tubos. Not sure why, it just hapens that way.
[Reply]
michaelmastro 09:21 AM 02-24-2011
MJ - Thank you and will do.

Floyd - You might enjoy this - I saw Pink Floyd with Syd.

As for those R+J tubos - Since I will only smoke one a year, I think I'm going to leave them in the box with the top off the tubes.
[Reply]
NCRadioMan 09:23 AM 02-24-2011
Cigars age in tubes better than if they were sitting out of them. I'm talking 10/15+ years. The tube creates it's own micro environment with, hopefully, not much air exchange and the cigar will stew in it's own brew, if you will. The slow aging with as less air exchange as possible is usually desired.

Leave those tubes closed because in the years to come, they should become spectacular. Like igehog said, before you smoke one, you might want to get it out of the tube for a week or so to let it breath.

A good example are the 98 H Upmann Monarca's. The ones in the tubes are so much better right now!

:-)

Welcome!
[Reply]
floydpink 09:27 AM 02-24-2011
MJ - Thank you and will do.

Floyd - You might enjoy this - I saw Pink Floyd with Syd.

As for those R+J tubos - Since I will only smoke one a year, I think I'm going to leave them in the box with the top off the tubes.

I had a feeling you were old from your intro! (just kidding, I promise!!)

I saw them on the Animals tour, but Syd was institutionalized by then. (he woulda probably fit in great here)

I'd love to hear about some of the acts you roadied for.

Back to the subject, I find that the Cohiba Siglo II's I have in the tubo are normally smoking much better than the ones from the box.
[Reply]
icehog3 09:32 AM 02-24-2011
Originally Posted by NCRadioMan:
Like igehog said, before you smoke one, you might want to get it out of the tube for a week or so to let it breath.
Stupid sexy igehog. :-)
[Reply]
michaelmastro 09:38 AM 02-24-2011
Cigars age in tubes better than if they were sitting out of them. I'm talking 10/15+ years. The tube creates it's own micro environment with, hopefully, not much air exchange and the cigar will stew in it's own brew, if you will. The slow aging with as less air exchange as possible is usually desired.

Leave those tubes closed because in the years to come, they should become spectacular. Like igehog said, before you smoke one, you might want to get it out of the tube for a week or so to let it breath.

A good example are the 98 H Upmann Monarca's. The ones in the tubes are so much better right now!

:-)

Welcome!
That makes sense. I always thought that the tube, with a bit of cedar inside, would be a good aging environment.
[Reply]
NCRadioMan 09:39 AM 02-24-2011
Originally Posted by icehog3:
Stupid sexy igehog. :-)
I know, it's hard to stay away from the mighty igehog. :-)
[Reply]
michaelmastro 09:40 AM 02-24-2011
Originally Posted by floydpink:
I had a feeling you were old from your intro! (just kidding, I promise!!)

I saw them on the Animals tour, but Syd was institutionalized by then. (he woulda probably fit in great here)

I'd love to hear about some of the acts you roadied for.

Back to the subject, I find that the Cohiba Siglo II's I have in the tubo are normally smoking much better than the ones from the box.
The time that I saw them was 1967 at the Shrine Exposition Hall in Los Angeles - Blue Cheer, Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac, The Jeff Beck Group and Pink Floyd. For about $2.25.

I roadied for Atlanta Rhythm Section, The Georgia Satellites, The SOS Band, and The Dazz Band.

And, yes I am old. I turned 60 last November...
[Reply]
michaelmastro 09:41 AM 02-24-2011
BTW - I just started "dry boxing" and it seems to make a difference. More even burn and no bitterness.
[Reply]
Mr B 09:43 AM 02-24-2011
Thank you, Mooch. Your references have lead me to the conclusion that it's all a matter of preference. I think I'm going to remove the caps and leave them in the tubes.Thanks to all, and Happy Smoking!

That what I do too.

Welcome
[Reply]
NCRadioMan 09:46 AM 02-24-2011
BTW - I just started "dry boxing" and it seems to make a difference. More even burn and no bitterness.
Now, all you have to do is keep your humidors 60-64% and you can cut out the dry boxing step altogether.
[Reply]
Bruzee 09:47 AM 02-24-2011
Oh, and to introduce myself - I'm Michael Mastro, award winning Photographer and Graphic Designer. Former roadie for rock and r+b acts. Have lived in Los Angeles, Seattle, Santa Cruz California, Hawaii, Texas, Georgia, and now, Mobile Alabama. What am I leaving out? Married, two sons, one grandson.

And I've been smoking cigars for a long time.
Sweet! Do you photograph cigars? I love me some cigar art!! :-)

Oh, and welcome!
[Reply]
HollywoodQue 09:48 AM 02-24-2011
I have a H.Upmann cc and a few RYJ still in the tubes...let us know what you kind
[Reply]
rizzle 09:49 AM 02-24-2011
Originally Posted by pnoon:
Hey guys. How about some gentle guidance?
Michael - welcome to Cigar Asylum. Some questions are fairly basic and have been asked over and over again. There are a lot of good people here and tons of information. Head on over to the New Inmate forum and introduce yourself.
For realz, man. Everybody was a newb at one time or another. Hell, I'm still a newb to this stuff and I joined when the forum started. And sometimes I hesitate to ask a question because, God forbid, it's been asked before and I didn't use the search function and somebody "who knows stuff" feels like taking a quick jab. Whatever.
[Reply]
NCRadioMan 09:51 AM 02-24-2011
Originally Posted by rizzle:
For realz, man. Everybody was a newb at one time or another. Hell, I'm still a newb to this stuff and I joined when the forum started. And sometimes I hesitate to ask a question because, God forbid, it's been asked before and I didn't use the search function and somebody "who knows stuff" feels like taking a quick jab. Whatever.
Note to self: Next time riz asks a question, tell him to use the search button. :-) :-)
[Reply]
icehog3 09:54 AM 02-24-2011
Now, all you have to do is keep your humidors 60-64% and you can cut out the dry boxing step altogether.
'zactly! :-)
[Reply]
Page 2 of 4
< 12 34 >
Up