Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 3
< 12 3 >
General Discussion>Skydiving Accident- Big Owie!
Katmancross 08:14 AM 01-21-2011
Originally Posted by Zeuceone:
Was thinking about going to do this for my upcoming birthday but that's a good reason not to. Hope everything works out for the better for you.
Hey...Do it!
Accidents happen everywhere.
Even if you only do it once. Do it.
It's something you'll remember your whole life...unless you die.
[Reply]
kaisersozei 08:18 AM 01-21-2011
Originally Posted by Katmancross:
Hey...Do it!
You'd still remember it, just for not as long.
[Reply]
tobii3 08:43 AM 01-21-2011
Originally Posted by :
Just wondered if I could hear other horror stories about human structural destruction
I earned the title of "Robo-Jew" a while ago.

Being able to set off a metal detector wearing nothing but your underwear does lead to some great conversations.

Left foot is held together with screws and plates.

Left knee has zero stability left (mulitiple ACL/PCL/LCL/MCL injuries and Patellar tendon tears)

Left hip has a bolt in it.

Left scapula has a plate with three screws.

Right lower jaw has a plate and two implants.

Tailbone removed (easier to explain than naming the surgery - normal responses are "'WHAT WAS CUT OFF????"")

Fractured a total of 9 vertebrae - but no breaks (thank G-d!).

oh yeah...I'm a paratooper in the US Army...graduated Jump School in 1990 :-)
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 08:48 AM 01-21-2011
Hey...Do it!
Got to agree, I remember it like yesterday and rush once I landed was one of the biggest I ever felt. Talk about feeling alive!

19000 ft is really high, wow!

I did a free fall parachute jump once about 12 years ago. Had to take a weekend course and I think we jumped at 13000 ft. I had maybe 30 seconds of free fall with an instructor on each side of me watching me complete the steps to "pass the jump".

I am sorry to read you have gone through so much pain and suffering. Not to rub it in, but my landing was like a two foot jump onto a pillow. One of my friends fluffed his chute too early and smacked the ground. The other friend did it fine like me.

We you able to steer the chute or were the cables too far behind you?
[Reply]
Katmancross 01:42 PM 01-21-2011
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol:
Got to agree, I remember it like yesterday and rush once I landed was one of the biggest I ever felt. Talk about feeling alive!

19000 ft is really high, wow!

I did a free fall parachute jump once about 12 years ago. Had to take a weekend course and I think we jumped at 13000 ft. I had maybe 30 seconds of free fall with an instructor on each side of me watching me complete the steps to "pass the jump".

I am sorry to read you have gone through so much pain and suffering. Not to rub it in, but my landing was like a two foot jump onto a pillow. One of my friends fluffed his chute too early and smacked the ground. The other friend did it fine like me.

We you able to steer the chute or were the cables too far behind you?

I don't remember.
[Reply]
Katmancross 01:43 PM 01-21-2011
Originally Posted by tobii3:

Being able to set off a metal detector wearing nothing but your underwear does lead to some great conversations.

Left knee has zero stability left (mulitiple ACL/PCL/LCL/MCL injuries and Patellar tendon tears)

Tailbone removed (easier to explain than naming the surgery - normal responses are "'WHAT WAS CUT OFF????"")

Was it from one jump or several and if several, how many did it take before they said "You're done."
[Reply]
Katmancross 01:47 PM 01-21-2011

I'm guessing you are living off the teat of the US Government at this point?
I can't imagine being able to do much with that kind of damage.
[Reply]
kaisersozei 01:51 PM 01-21-2011
"Terminator" is more like it :-)
[Reply]
tobii3 02:21 PM 01-21-2011
Was it from one jump or several and if several, how many did it take before they said "You're done."
I had to argue with a few Doc's before I got one to authorize me to jump again.

Two total malfunctions; one partial malfunction; two trees; one missed Drop Zone; one runway (twice - same runway); three buildings; one deuce and a half and one HMMWV.

None of the injuries were sustained from the jumps. The landings, however, accounted for quite a few...

I'm guessing you are living off the teat of the US Government at this point?
I can't imagine being able to do much with that kind of damage.
It's really easy...if it doesn't hurt....it doesn't work.
[Reply]
St. Lou Stu 02:49 PM 01-21-2011

Two total malfunctions; one partial malfunction; two trees; one missed Drop Zone; one runway (twice - same runway); three buildings; one deuce and a half and one HMMWV.

None of the injuries were sustained from the jumps. The landings, however, accounted for quite a few...

Dude.... you hit a deuce and a half?
WTF? did it sneak out in front of you?:-)
[Reply]
replicant_argent 02:51 PM 01-21-2011
He didn't say he was any good at jumping out of planes, Tim! LOL

Accident prone in the dark? Yeah.. that's another matter, eh, Tobster? :-)
[Reply]
Katmancross 02:59 PM 01-21-2011

Jesus Tobi!!!
How old are you?
After I broke my foot on my 38th jump, I gave it up. My boss told me, "You get in a car accident, we understand. You throw your ass out of an airplane, F-U!"
So that was the end of that.

You're a crazy man! LOL!
I bet you're fun with a couple of drinks in you.
[Reply]
replicant_argent 03:01 PM 01-21-2011
Jesus Tobi!!!
How old are you?
After I broke my foot on my 38th jump, I gave it up. My boss told me, "You get in a car accident, we understand. You throw your ass out of an airplane, F-U!"
So that was the end of that.

You're a crazy man! LOL!
I bet you're fun with a couple of drinks in you.
Tobs first jump was out of a hot air balloon at Napoleans request.
[Reply]
Katmancross 03:02 PM 01-21-2011

You never answered. What do you do know? Besides limp.
[Reply]
replicant_argent 03:04 PM 01-21-2011
Technically, Tob invented the sport when he was diving off the elephants when Hannibal brought them across the Alps, but it wasn't really "Sky" diving. Just Tob being drunk, accident prone, and trying to impress the locals with his witty ways.
[Reply]
Katmancross 03:05 PM 01-21-2011

I'm scared to death of having surgeries on my back and neck. What kind of re-hab did you go through?
I haven't had a pain free day in 10 years. But the thought of letting some orthopod stick a knife into me and "fix" me doesn't comfort me. I know very few people that had back or neck surgeries and said, "Boy! Am I glad I did that!"
[Reply]
Katmancross 03:06 PM 01-21-2011
Originally Posted by replicant_argent:
Technically, Tob invented the sport when he was diving off the elephants when Hannibal brought them across the Alps, but it wasn't really "Sky" diving. Just Tob being drunk, accident prone, and trying to impress the locals with his witty ways.
So Tobi is around 85 years old? Or just looks it?
[Reply]
J0eybb 03:11 PM 01-21-2011
Tobii is around 85 thousand years old.
[Reply]
replicant_argent 03:12 PM 01-21-2011
So Tobi is around 85 years old? Or just looks it?
Tob was 85 when fire was invented, they had to invent it to warm the cave, and figured 85 candles would take the chill off.
[Reply]
Katmancross 03:16 PM 01-21-2011
Originally Posted by replicant_argent:
Tob was 85 when fire was invented, they had to invent it to warm the cave, and figured 85 candles would take the chill off.
This is the funniest g*d d**n thread I've ever seen.
None have ever made me laugh out loud so much.
I like this a lot better than being skewered personally by guys that hate my ridiculous Katman reviews.
You guys are a lot more fun.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 3
< 12 3 >
Up