Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 6
< 12 34 > Last »
All Cigar Discussion>Cigar Aficionado..top 10 of 2010...
Adriftpanda 05:25 PM 01-03-2011
Hahah I brought it for yours guys enjoyment!

Not a bad cigar, just not Top 10 worthy.
[Reply]
lyle23 05:25 PM 01-03-2011
Me personally, I dont look at their top 25 and say 'oh these are the best cigars out there' but, i do look at it as a buying guide, soo to speak. If there is a stick on there that I havent had yet I will try to get 1. My personal feeling is if it makes somebody's top whatever, it may be worth giving a shot. :-)
[Reply]
quantim0 06:04 PM 01-03-2011
^ I agree

If you took 25 peoples Top 10 lists, they would all be different. Any list of top 10 anything will have controversy.

I look at their list as a "things I should try". I don't take their list as the gospel, or even with the thought that I will like the cigars they put on it. I have had most of the cigars up already minus the EP Carillo and H Upmann and I will agree that they are good cigars and worthy of being on the top 25 list somewhere.
[Reply]
thebiglebowski 06:35 PM 01-03-2011
well, the upmanns are certainly good...
[Reply]
TheRiddick 07:12 PM 01-03-2011
Originally Posted by lyle23:
Me personally, I dont look at their top 25 and say 'oh these are the best cigars out there' but, i do look at it as a buying guide, soo to speak. If there is a stick on there that I havent had yet I will try to get 1. My personal feeling is if it makes somebody's top whatever, it may be worth giving a shot. :-)
Agree on all counts. Anything that says "consumer reviews" should be treated as a guide and not much else. Funny how people get bent of shape when their favorites don't make it on someone's list. As far as I can see it, it should be a "benefit" since whatever you like in such a case will be more readily available and probably stay underpriced. Applies to cigars and anything else...

Also, what many seem to miss is that cigars, unlike say, wine/beer/alcohol, are made of solids and vary from leaf to leaf no matter how well anyone ferments and treats them. They will be extremely close in best case scenarios, but nowhere near as homogenous as wine, for example. All barrels in a particular lot are blended together before bottling making each and every bottle taste the same right after bottling (cork and storage will affect each bottle with time, as the saying goes, There are no great wines, only great bottles). Great cigars are as even in stick to stick profile, but never the same (different number and size of veins in each leaf, a tiny bit more of sun exposure and subsequent fermentation here and there, etc.). Bottom line: there will be differences from bale to bale as well as leaf to leaf.

So, a cigar one tastes from a Left Coast retailer has a great probability of tasting slightly different than the one tasted from a lot shipped to NY. There is no mystery there.
[Reply]
BigAsh 09:24 AM 01-04-2011
Here's #'s 5 thru 2....
5. Camacho Corojo Churchill
4. Padrón Family Reserve No. 45 (Natural)
3. Fuente Fuente OpusX XXX Belicoso
2. Viaje Oro Reserva VOR No. 5

Viaje @ #2....I bet they don't advertise much in CA....Interesting picks
[Reply]
NorcalMark 09:51 AM 01-04-2011
The La Aroma de Cuba Mi Amore, is an outstanding cigar.

Camacho Corojo at #5 is a joke.
[Reply]
icehog3 09:55 AM 01-04-2011
Different strokes for different folks. Lists are subjective.
[Reply]
HK3- 09:58 AM 01-04-2011
I've always wondered about these ratings or whatever you want to call them. Do they state what year cigars they are smoking for this top 25?
[Reply]
CigarNut 10:05 AM 01-04-2011
These kinds of lists have little meaning for me. These cigars may be great for others but if they do not fit my flavor profile I would not enjoy them.

I know what I like, and I continue to sample other marcas/votolas in order to find new cigars that I like, but these kinds of lists have little influence on that process.
[Reply]
DennisP 10:06 AM 01-04-2011
Originally Posted by HK3-:
I've always wondered about these ratings or whatever you want to call them. Do they state what year cigars they are smoking for this top 25?
I know in the regular reviews Cubans have the Month/Year.
[Reply]
wayner123 11:04 AM 01-04-2011
Remember as well this is only the first third of the cigar. The reviewers don't smoke the entire cigar.
[Reply]
justonemorestick 11:06 AM 01-04-2011
At least I have had a few of the ones on the list. Not like most of the lists of ones I either cant get or cant afford.
[Reply]
Kreth 11:10 AM 01-04-2011
Originally Posted by wayner123:
Remember as well this is only the first third of the cigar. The reviewers don't smoke the entire cigar.
Seriously? How can you properly review a cigar like that? :-)
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
mike 11:10 AM 01-04-2011
It was leaked to me that Cohibo robusto was #1 spot this year.
[Reply]
wayner123 11:14 AM 01-04-2011
Originally Posted by Kreth:
Posted via Mobile Device
Yes, that is serious.

But that's how they do it. A person could make the case for a wide varieties of factors that might influence a review (what they had to drink, what they had to eat, what they pair it with, etc, etc) so I don't say what's proper and what's not. Just pointing out that this is the method they use.
[Reply]
TheRiddick 11:24 AM 01-04-2011
Originally Posted by Kreth:
Posted via Mobile Device
Same way they evaluate wines and alcohol, they simply hold a tiny sip in their mouth, swish it around and spit it out. Now tell me they can actually evaluate a finish on wine/alc, proper astringency, etc. Better yet, or is it worse yet?, they spend a few minutes with the product instead of seeing how it evolves over some time.

Main reason lists are nothing more than lists.
[Reply]
akumushi 11:30 AM 01-04-2011
Originally Posted by TheRiddick:
Same way they evaluate wines and alcohol, they simply hold a tiny sip in their mouth, swish it around and spit it out. Now tell me they can actually evaluate a finish on wine/alc, proper astringency, etc. Better yet, or is it worse yet?, they spend a few minutes with the product instead of seeing how it evolves over some time.

Main reason lists are nothing more than lists.
:-)
That's why I trust recommendations from friends whom I know have similar tastes over any magazine reviews. I think it's fun to see if cigars you liked make it into the cA top 10, but that's about it: fun. I don't take much of what that magazine puts out very seriously, for the primary reasons that the reviewers only smoke a portion of the cigar and I've seen too many cigars that I think are awful get high scores. I don't believe in any of the "buying ratings" conspiracy theories, I just think it's the nature of the way they taste their cigars that it will always be an incomplete and very subjective picture.
[Reply]
DennisP 11:31 AM 01-04-2011
Originally Posted by wayner123:
I've heard this a few times, but have they published this anywhere?
[Reply]
CRIMPS 11:44 AM 01-04-2011
Everybody loves a good list...
[Reply]
Page 2 of 6
< 12 34 > Last »
Up