Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 2
< 12
General Discussion>NFL Puffy Jacket $25
RevSmoke 08:25 PM 12-14-2010
Originally Posted by RevSmoke:
In the 80s, they were puffy because they were down-filled.

These are puffy because someone has no taste, or is trying to be retro but doesn't get it.

Peace of the Lord be with you.
Oh yeah, the puffy was functional - incredibly warm in the frigid cold. These are puffy for what reason???
[Reply]
DBall 08:42 PM 12-14-2010
Oh yeah, the puffy was functional - incredibly warm in the frigid cold. These are puffy for what reason???
These really aren't anywhere near as puffy as the 80's ones... only around 1/2" thick (if even that)...
[Reply]
RevSmoke 09:38 PM 12-14-2010
Originally Posted by DBall:
These really aren't anywhere near as puffy as the 80's ones... only around 1/2" thick (if even that)...
My point exactly. What's the point? I don't know, they just look odd.
[Reply]
DBall 09:43 PM 12-14-2010
My point exactly. What's the point? I don't know, they just look odd.
I don't know... it looks cool as hell in person in my opinion. Like cigars, everyone has differing opinions on style.

To each their own.
[Reply]
RevSmoke 06:13 AM 12-15-2010
I don't know... it looks cool as hell in person in my opinion. Like cigars, everyone has differing opinions on style.

To each their own.
I am sorry - I wasn't trying to disrespect anybody's choice or fashion sense. I was just reminiscing and musing out loud about what prompted the design.

I owned a "puffy" down jacket in the late 70s early 80s until it started to lose some of the down stuffing that made it so warm. They designed it that way to keep the down in the specific "puffy" pockets and not floating all over the jacket, or all of it shifting and settling in one part of the jacket and then having cold spots.

Given the original design purpose, since this doesn't have the same purpose, it made me wonder why.

I do not exactly make a fashion conscious effort when buying cold weather outer wear, but do so on a practical basis. There is summer wear, slightly cool wear, spring and fall wear, early sping and late fall wear, winter wear, and frigid wear. My puffy down jacket was frigid wear, and it did a stupendous job of keep ing me warm. I still have a frigidly cold jacket that only comes out occasionally that is down filled, but it doesn't have the puffy look on the outside.

It isn't a bad looking jacket at all, it is that I never thought of it (puffy look) as a desirable fashion look since it had a specific design purpos.

So, out of curiosity, I read what it said about this jacket. I know there is stuff out there that is warmer than down and takes up less space. Is this a warm jacket or more a fashion statement?
[Reply]
DBall 07:48 AM 12-15-2010
I am sorry - I wasn't trying to disrespect anybody's choice or fashion sense. I was just reminiscing and musing out loud about what prompted the design.

I owned a "puffy" down jacket in the late 70s early 80s until it started to lose some of the down stuffing that made it so warm. They designed it that way to keep the down in the specific "puffy" pockets and not floating all over the jacket, or all of it shifting and settling in one part of the jacket and then having cold spots.

Given the original design purpose, since this doesn't have the same purpose, it made me wonder why.

I do not exactly make a fashion conscious effort when buying cold weather outer wear, but do so on a practical basis. There is summer wear, slightly cool wear, spring and fall wear, early sping and late fall wear, winter wear, and frigid wear. My puffy down jacket was frigid wear, and it did a stupendous job of keep ing me warm. I still have a frigidly cold jacket that only comes out occasionally that is down filled, but it doesn't have the puffy look on the outside.

It isn't a bad looking jacket at all, it is that I never thought of it (puffy look) as a desirable fashion look since it had a specific design purpos.

So, out of curiosity, I read what it said about this jacket. I know there is stuff out there that is warmer than down and takes up less space. Is this a warm jacket or more a fashion statement?

It's been (with wind chill) in single digits here... this coat keeps me toasty... Hell... I was out on my balcony when it was 12* yesterday and I made it through a whole cigar without being cold (aside from my fingers... :-) )

Not sure what, if anything, it's filled with, but it really isn't that puffy at all. It's warm and I think it looks good... plus, it's got the name of my favorite football team on it. It wins on all fronts and was, in my opinion, an AWESOME christmas present. Thanks again, Mark!

:-)
[Reply]
Mugen910 07:57 AM 12-15-2010
Came home yesterday and had a package...

Mark is a BEAST and this is an awesome xmas gift. Another cool thing that came along with it was Mark's addy. Anyone want it? :-):-):-)
That doesn't look like the same jacket that was on sale...:-)
[Reply]
DBall 09:27 AM 12-15-2010
it wasn't on sale, but it's the same style:

http://www.nflshop.com/search/index....|New+York+Jets
[Reply]
357 11:58 AM 12-15-2010
Originally Posted by icehog3:
But I don't wanna be a pirate!!!
:-)

I can't believe nobody else caught that.....:-)

BTW, nice hit Mark!
[Reply]
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Up