Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 4
< 12 34 >
All Cigar Discussion>What would you do....
EricF 01:07 PM 11-26-2010
Originally Posted by Subvet642:
Part of me agrees with those who advise selling it, but, it would be wicked thoughtless to sell a gift someone has given you. Of course, that would also depend upon the nature of your relationship with the giver. :-)
I couldn't really sell it as the gifter was my BIL. Just looking for some opinions from other BOTL as to what they thought.

Originally Posted by CasaDooley:
Eric, as it was gifted to you, I suggest you smoke it and let the gifter know if you enjoyed it or not, or re gift it. When I give cigars I hope that person either smokes the cigars, or, if they don't like them will at least re gift to someone whom they know will enjoy them. Just my:-)
My BIL really doesn't know much about cigars. He is friends with Kaz and thinks his cigars are the end all be all. He thinks just because it's expensive it has to be good, but the reality is...
[Reply]
STEVE S 01:27 PM 11-26-2010
Eric, save it and use it at our next herf for a pass around. Then you can write a review. :-) :-)
[Reply]
EricF 02:37 PM 11-26-2010
I'm gonna smoke it new years eve. i'll post a review and let everyone know what $750.00 tastes like!
[Reply]
Don Fernando 02:39 PM 11-26-2010
If it was a gift I would smoke it, selling it doesn't feel right. If it wasn't a gift, I would sell it
[Reply]
NCRadioMan 02:42 PM 11-26-2010
I would leave it in the humidor.....................forever. Just another crappy Gurkha blend. It was a very nice gesture but I wouldn't subject myself to that.
[Reply]
Bax 02:44 PM 11-26-2010
Originally Posted by Don Fernando:
If it was a gift I would smoke it, selling it doesn't feel right. If it wasn't a gift, I would sell it
Me too, plus honestly it's something that 99.9% of the BOTLs out there will never get to try, good or bad, it's an experience.
[Reply]
EricF 02:56 PM 11-26-2010
This review sums up my expectations

http://thesmokingstogie.squarespace....r-the-goo.html:-)
[Reply]
CoreyD 03:00 PM 11-26-2010
If someone gave it to me to smoke, I would do just that. Not sure how or why it was given to you, But If I was gifted a stick , I'd smoke it regardless the reviews or price. I get ties and other gifts from the kids or people appreciating thing I do , I smile and use the items or gifts.
[Reply]
EricF 03:00 PM 11-26-2010
Originally Posted by STEVE S:
Eric, save it and use it at our next herf for a pass around. Then you can write a review. :-) :-)
I like you guys too much! I wouldn't subject you to that!
[Reply]
EricF 03:17 PM 11-26-2010
Well gentlemen, I will definetly smoke this cigar on New Years Eve after a dinner planned with 13 of my closest friends and relatives. We plan to go back to my BIL's house for more imbibing and smoking. It was suggested that I let this cigar breathe for a little while before smoking, so I will do just that and have camera and pen and paper ready for the review. I do not have high expectations for this, only because it is a Gurhka and I typical don't like them. This does not in any way take away from the other BOTL who do like Gurhka's. Just not in my flavor profile.

Thanks for everyones thoughts on this and have a safe weekend!:-)
[Reply]
ChicagoWhiteSox 03:21 PM 11-26-2010
1492.............................................. .............
[Reply]
kelmac07 05:19 PM 11-26-2010
Here's the skinny on this stick...

"Gurkha His Majesty’s Reserve (HMR) holds the title of “world’s most expensive cigar ever made." If you are looking for the absolute best, this is it.

For years, Gurkha has been known as the "Rolls Royce" of the cigar industry. Its reputation stems from unique blends of rare tobaccos hand crafted by the world’s foremost rollers. 'His Majesty’s Reserve' is no exception, made from the most expensive cognac and premium tobacco. HMR starts with a rare aged Dominican wrapper that covers a secret blend of filler tobaccos from all over the world. Once the cigars are rolled, they then undergo a unique infusion process that involves an entire bottle of Louis XIII Cognac. This infusion process is very unique in that it does not take away from the tobacco flavor of the aged leaves, but rather complements them in grand fashion.

Fewer than 100 boxes of HMR are produced every year and the allocation of these rare gems is decided by Gurkha President Kaizad Hansotia. Cigar.com is proud to be one of the world’s only authorized dealers to sell this landmark cigar. There is no finer cigar, blend, packaging, or tobacco in the world. There are few blends, if any, that could lay claim to being finer."

Not sure what a bottle of Louis XIII Cognac costs...but I am assuming it is a lot. :-)
[Reply]
Cornrow_Wallis 06:28 PM 11-26-2010
According to google Louis XIII Cognac is about $1700 a fifth. Yikes.
[Reply]
Knip23 06:33 PM 11-26-2010
Sell it, smoke it doesn't matter. Personally I would smoke it that's why cigars were made. Then review itso the rest of us can decide if we would ever try it.

Knip.
[Reply]
aes8 06:35 PM 11-26-2010
Either smoke this with the BIL like you plan or trade it for something that is roughly equal in value. I think you will be more in trade than is cash.
[Reply]
Ratters 06:37 PM 11-26-2010
Originally Posted by CoreyD:
If someone gave it to me to smoke, I would do just that. Not sure how or why it was given to you, But If I was gifted a stick , I'd smoke it regardless the reviews or price. I get ties and other gifts from the kids or people appreciating thing I do , I smile and use the items or gifts.

This

Though Gurkha makes a similar smoke with a plastic covering that mimics the wax. I think that cigar is like $14. Is the seal real wax or plastic?

http://www.cigar.com/cigars/viewcigar.asp?brand=386
[Reply]
nick2021 06:46 PM 11-26-2010
Originally Posted by EricF:
$1100.00 on some luxury bid sites. Apparently it is very hard to get. I personally would never even think of buying one, but this one was gifted to me last night before dinner.
these are on CCom MMO...lot of money for one cigar heck you can prob score a box of Behikes for that amount (around $300 I think you can get the HMR if you do your market research) lol
[Reply]
Cornrow_Wallis 06:56 PM 11-26-2010
As for the cigar, I would sell it and buy a box that I wanted. My reasoning is that I give gifts in order to bring enjoyment. I would rather have a box of something I love, than smoke a single cigar that I thought I would dislike.
[Reply]
Bill86 07:20 PM 11-26-2010
Originally Posted by nick2021:
these are on CCom MMO...lot of money for one cigar heck you can prob score a box of Behikes for that amount (around $300 I think you can get the HMR if you do your market research) lol
Pretty much, Box of Behikes runs you $400 ISH.... I still can't imagine paying $400-$440 for 10 cigars though. Let alone one. I don't know how Gurkha stays in business I hear at the local stores the goofy boxes are what draws people into buying them.

Even after you get up around the $30+ price tag on a single cigar it just begs for disappointment. You really expect a lot out of paying that kind of price just to smoke away.

Originally Posted by Cornrow_Wallis:
According to google Louis XIII Cognac is about $1700 a fifth. Yikes.
And that's the on-line price in a liquor store that'll run you $2500.
[Reply]
HK3- 07:30 PM 11-26-2010
I wouldn't sell a cigar that was gifted to me. And I'd never spend that much coin on that stick so I would definately smoke it. :-)

Tom likes Gurkhas so he may smoke it with you. :-)
[Reply]
Page 2 of 4
< 12 34 >
Up